How can I motivate myself to get up in the morning?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 4:38 pm

It currently takes three alarms and even that doesn't always do the trick.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 4:44 pm

Put it on the other side of the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 5:12 pm

It's one of the hardest things in the world to do. It's why I switched to a night job, although I hate the dark I still don't miss having to be rudely awaken by a stupid alarm in the early morning and having to leave my comfy bed and head out in the cold to work.

I understand that everyone feels the same way about getting up for work in the mornings but to me I think I felt it to a higher degree than most other people. My ADHD means I find it hard to wind down before bed or have a bedtime routine, so every night can be different for me regarding how much sleep I get. The less sleep I got the night before, the more anxious and depressed I felt getting up in the morning, and a coffee and a brisk walk to work in the fresh air did not help - I was still like a zombie when I got to work and I just couldn't think straight and really longed for my bed for the first couple of hours.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:50 am

Lost_dragon wrote:

Drink a lot of water before you go to bed.
Apparently, some native American tribes did that as a strategy. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:52 am

Joe90 wrote:
It's one of the hardest things in the world to do. It's why I switched to a night job, although I hate the dark I still don't miss having to be rudely awaken by a stupid alarm in the early morning and having to leave my comfy bed and head out in the cold to work.

I understand that everyone feels the same way about getting up for work in the mornings but to me I think I felt it to a higher degree than most other people. My ADHD means I find it hard to wind down before bed or have a bedtime routine, so every night can be different for me regarding how much sleep I get. The less sleep I got the night before, the more anxious and depressed I felt getting up in the morning, and a coffee and a brisk walk to work in the fresh air did not help - I was still like a zombie when I got to work and I just couldn't think straight and really longed for my bed for the first couple of hours.

I got up at 3 am this morning simply because I went to bed early.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 3:20 am

Lost_dragon wrote:

It depends on what you like to do.

For me I really enjoy having a bit of time to myself and first thing in the morning is the best time for that for me. I also really love to cook myself a breakfast so I find that motivates me. I usually set my clock for about half an hour before I want to get up just so I can lie there for a bit.

What I'm trying to say is think of something that you really want to do that might help you to get up.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:35 pm

I try to keep special treats in my desk drawer at work.

So when I wake up I remember, "once I get to work I can have a snack cake with my coffee, yay!"

:lol:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:49 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
I try to keep special treats in my desk drawer at work.

So when I wake up I remember, "once I get to work I can have a snack cake with my coffee, yay!"

:lol:

I like your style.

Also I've learned that if I only set one alarm and don't snooze it then I have to force myself to stay awake. Also I turn the light on in the room as soon as the alarm goes off. I know it's a bit like torture but it does tend to work.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 6:13 pm

babybird wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

It depends on what you like to do.

For me I really enjoy having a bit of time to myself and first thing in the morning is the best time for that for me. I also really love to cook myself a breakfast so I find that motivates me. I usually set my clock for about half an hour before I want to get up just so I can lie there for a bit.

What I'm trying to say is think of something that you really want to do that might help you to get up.

This isn't an idea I have applied to myself, but perhaps a programable alarm/ coffee maker next to the bed?
Get a bit of caffeine while still semi-reclined?

BTW, Isabella indicated lack of motivation is a sign of depression.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 6:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Put it on the other side of the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.

That is actually VERY good advice...

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 6:43 pm

Pepe wrote:

This isn't an idea I have applied to myself, but perhaps a programable alarm/ coffee maker next to the bed?

Coffee maker is a no-go, I used to drink coffee as a means of relaxing and enough of it can easily send me to sleep. Even when I have it when I'm fully awake and energised. On particularly anxious university nights, I'd drink it when I couldn't sleep and I'd always avoid it when I needed to pay full attention. It kills my creativity, makes my thoughts all fuzzy (due to tiredness), I zone out like crazy, and it appears to slow down my reflexes and response time. Which is why I'd crave it during times of high stress to relax myself. I've pretty much given it up entirely now. Except perhaps very occasionally. Of course, don't unhealthily avoid stress like I did, I'm not a good role model in that department. Avoiding caffeine is a good way of forcing myself to find healthier ways to deal with my stress.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 6:53 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Coffee maker is a no-go, I used to drink coffee as a means of relaxing and enough of it can easily send me to sleep. Even when I have it when I'm fully awake and energised. On particularly anxious university nights, I'd drink it when I couldn't sleep and I'd always avoid it when I needed to pay full attention. It kills my creativity, makes my thoughts all fuzzy (due to tiredness), I zone out like crazy, and it appears to slow down my reflexes and response time. Which is why I'd crave it during times of high stress to relax myself. I've pretty much given it up entirely now. Except perhaps very occasionally. Of course, don't unhealthily avoid stress like I did, I'm not a good role model in that department. Avoiding caffeine is a good way of forcing myself to find healthier ways to deal with my stress.

I always said you were special. :mrgreen:
I don't think I have ever met another person who is affected this way when ingesting caffeine.

Caffeine makes me very creative.
It gives me a lot of energy. (I finished putting the roof on my shed this morning with its help).
It lowers my inhibitions.
It heightens the entire emotional spectrum.

BTW, Caffeine is supposed to help with ADD and ADHA, I have read.
Well at least one of them.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 4:43 am

Today I had a thought 'You don't want it to be this way' this morning. So I got up, got half-dressed and didn't go back to bed. I consider that a success. Perhaps my motivation has returned. It does tend to come in waves for me.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:45 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
Today I had a thought 'You don't want it to be this way' this morning. So I got up, got half-dressed and didn't go back to bed. I consider that a success. Perhaps my motivation has returned. It does tend to come in waves for me.

Yessss result!

I also find that it helps to allow myself to lie in every few days. It's something to look forward to.

@pepe...I love the idea of a coffee maker beside my bed. Just make a coffee, put the TV on for a while and then get up. That's what I would consider to be luxurious living.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:24 am

I’ve decided to do it with the strongest force in the universe: Love.

All I have to do is tell myself that I’d better get my ass out of bed and in gear on the Chance that I might get to see one of my favourite people in the morning.. and if I don’t, I won’t have that chance. Probability of seeing them is slim in reality, but it’s zero if I waste extra time in bed!

That’s enough to make me get moving. Might work for you if that’s the sort of thing that truly motivates ya.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 3:29 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:

:thumright: