Page 5 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:26 am

I’m an independent. My beliefs correspond closely to European “social democracy.”

I criticize the right, the left, or the center, when I feel like it should be criticized.

Sometimes, “progressives,” or right-wingers, perform actions—like harassing people online, or driving people from jobs because they don’t believe in one tenet of a certain ideology.

I find, to harangue someone because they don’t adhere to your ideology 100%, is a reprehensible action.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:58 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm a horrible racist, the very fact that I was even born in Canada is because of racism. Yes, that's what is known as white guilt, and we deserve every bit of guilt we have. We should all just be killed in a genocide because we're nothing but fat disgusting demonic ghost people.

Everything I think, feel, say or do is racist. Like seeing bright colors as symbols of happy, positive things and dark colors as symbols of dreary and negative things. Or dressing in black because of feelings of depression and doom, ooo so edgy!! Finding Mexican and Indian food too hot and spicy! Reading classic books written by white people with white main characters! I hate my life so much!! !

I didn't use to think I was a racist person. When I was a kid in the early 80s I heard other kids using the N word and I asked my mother if it was bad, and she told me how it was a racial slur so I decided it was really bad and to never use the word, ever. But obviously that's not nearly enough and I'm still a disgusting ghost person because I exist.

A) Racism (both the regular kind, and your backward kind) are usually symptoms of low self esteem. Work on yourself to cure the disease. Dont be distracted by the symptom. Feeling bad because you like reading classic lit by long dead European authors is a trivial symptom. Also...the Bible is a classic piece of western lit, and it doesnt contain European White folks at all except for some invading Roman soldiers who were villians near the end of the book.

B) Both shame and pride are kind of ridiculous when you're talking about history before you were born. You personally had nothing to do with slavery. But you personally had nothing to do with inventing the automobile either.

B) All cultures tend to be ethnocentric. Eskimos think highly of themselves. But Eskimos didnt colonize and dominate the world as Europeans did for the last five centuries. So for those centuries White folks had an exaggerated version of normal human ethnocentrism, because of their domination of the planet. So this modern Wokness is an attempt to counter act Victorian imperialist thinking to just put White folks on an even keel. But you take it too far, and too literally and capsize the other way. You dont need to do that. Just dont be racist either way. Toward others, nor towards yourself. Thats the lesson.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 9:01 am

Ahem, both Eskimo and American Indian are not-so-proper terms.
Especially considering that there are indeed relevant members on WP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo

Quote:
Many Inuit, Yupik, Aleut and other individuals consider the term Eskimo, which is of a disputed etymology, to be unacceptable and even pejorative. Eskimo continues to be used within an historical, linguistic, archaeological, and cultural context. The governments in Canada and the United States have made moves to cease using the term Eskimo in official documents, but it has not been eliminated, as the word is in some places written into tribal, and therefore national, legal terminology.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 14 May 2022, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 9:03 am

Eskimos are usually called Inuit nowadays. Though certain groups call themselves eskimos.

American Indians are officially called Native Americans in the US; First Nations in Canada. There are some who prefer to call themselves Indians.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 9:34 am

I don’t like being white very much. But if a person doesn’t like what ethnicity they are, I guess they could always learn from people they're inspired by.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:10 am

I’m predominantly white but on several occasions people thought I wasn’t.
Once some drunkard told me I spoke good English for a Mexican and was an illegal.Yes, my family did sneak into this country without permission, like right after the Mayflower.
People make remarks about my black hair and ask if I’m all white.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:12 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Ahem, both Eskimo and American Indian are not-so-proper terms.
Especially considering that there are indeed relevant members on WP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo
Quote:
Many Inuit, Yupik, Aleut and other individuals consider the term Eskimo, which is of a disputed etymology, to be unacceptable and even pejorative. Eskimo continues to be used within an historical, linguistic, archaeological, and cultural context. The governments in Canada and the United States have made moves to cease using the term Eskimo in official documents, but it has not been eliminated, as the word is in some places written into tribal, and therefore national, legal terminology.

Ahem...thanks for waisting everyones time an irrelevent nit pick. :D

Do have anything thats actually relevant to say about the content of my post?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:16 am

I know a full blood Cherokee that has Indian tattooed on his arm.I think that depends on the region and the tribe whether it’s acceptable or not.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:24 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Like seeing bright colors as symbols of happy, positive things and dark colors as symbols of dreary and negative things.

There is an idiom in China called "know the darkness, guard the bright"/知黑守白.
It means to understand the means of evil and to keep the goodness of the heart at the same time.

But in this era when the idiom was invented, the Chinese may have no idea about "black" and "white" in the racial sense.

Fire and light meant safety to ancient humans, and no light meant danger, that's all.

I have a college degree about being "picky". :lol:

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:30 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Eskimos are usually called Inuit nowadays. Though certain groups call themselves eskimos.

American Indians are officially called Native Americans in the US; First Nations in Canada. There are some who prefer to call themselves Indians.

"Eskimo" is a French bastardization of what their neighbors to the south, the Cree (or Ojibwe) called them. A phrase that means "the eaters of raw meat". Most tribes, and ethnic groups of the world, are known by what their neighbors called them- which was usually derogatory. Like "Apache" means "enemy" in Zuni. Or after some gross custom their neighbors were grossed out by (like eating raw meat). OR..theyre know by what they called themselves which is usually just their word for "the people", or "the men". But I digress.

Yes. Were supposed to call them "Innuits", but as you said, some Innuits dont like THAT term. Whatever.

"American Indians" is a really dumb term. Nothing offensive. Just stupid because the group in question did not originate in India. "First Nations" is cumbersome, and long, but suffices. "Native Americans" is idiotic because I and most other Whites, most Blacks, and most Asian Americans, are also "native Americans" (if you're not an immigrant then you're a 'native american' cause you were born here). What the group in question are are "Indigenous Americans". As well as being just a tiny subset of us "native Americans".

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 11:26 am

Indigenous and aboriginal both work, but I believe the latter is much more commonly used in Canada. Americans associate that word with Australia. OTOH it matters what the individuals call themselves. Many have always called themselves "Indians", it's still a widespread terminology.

Spanish speaking people say "Indios" and depending on region, many have that ancestry to some extent. I honestly don't know what variations exist.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 12:47 pm

In my personal life, I call people what they want to be called.

If somebody wants to be called Indian, I’ll call him/her Indian. Native Americans, same thing.

America, of course, was named after a European explorer named Amerigo Vespucci.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 1:52 pm

MaxE wrote:
Indigenous and aboriginal both work, but I believe the latter is much more commonly used in Canada. Americans associate that word with Australia. OTOH it matters what the individuals call themselves. Many have always called themselves "Indians", it's still a widespread terminology.

Spanish speaking people say "Indios" and depending on region, many have that ancestry to some extent. I honestly don't know what variations exist.

In Spanish, and in Portugese (Brazil), either kind of Indian (Asian, or American) is "Indio".

Yeah. I was gonna say either "American Aboriginonies", or "Indigenous Americans", would be correct.

I prefer the later.

When I was in grade school in the Sixties I used to look at anthropology books with pictures of "races". Old antiquated books called them "American Indians". But the current books then called them "Amerinds". I was disappointed in college to learn that the anthropology community had moved beyond that to calling them just "American" (the American race). Just calling them "American" struck me as too ambiguous for most forms of discourse.

I think that the clock should have stopped with "Amerind". Its short, handy, not easily confused with other things, and ...it has both "American" in it, and the "ind" ending which was derived from "Indian", but can also mean "indigenous".

So if you're a geographer, anthropologist, linguist, archeologist, historian, or the like and are talking about the people in question in the abstract, and their origins and kinship to other races thats the term to use. Or if I were the pope of anthropology thats what I would use.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:53 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
But in this era when the idiom was invented, the Chinese may have no idea about "black" and "white" in the racial sense.

I have a read a book by a German scholar (De Kotter) who focussed on Chinese concept of "race" and you are correct, at the beginning (pre-European) the concept of race was similar to other parts of Asia (including India). But once European concepts entered into Chinese society then the existing colourism (where the rich were fair skinned and poor worked in the fields and were dark) extended now to include populations who were deemed slave/servant who also happened to be darker skinned. The adoption of European concepts of race were easy.

The east Asians (Chinese, Japanese and South Koreans) assimilated western concepts of race. It's quite blatant. When I was in Malaysia white expatriates were treated like celebrities and fawned over. Black and Indian people were treated with disdain.

I have learned that in addition to hiring white models to advertise western products, white people are hired in Chinese companies to sit in board rooms to give an air of "power/respect", English language schools only want white teachers. Chinese people understand the concept of being "adjacent" to whiteness means being higher in social heirarchy. Just look at the millions of hours of children's animated cartoons coming out of east Asia where the characters are all caucasian. It's rather cringeworthy and teaches young Chinese and Japanese children to disdain their own appearance.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 9:06 pm

cyberdad wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

I have a read a book by a German scholar (De Kotter) who focussed on Chinese concept of "race" and you are correct, at the beginning (pre-European) the concept of race was similar to other parts of Asia (including India). But once European concepts entered into Chinese society then the existing colourism (where the rich were fair skinned and poor worked in the fields and were dark) extended now to include populations who were deemed slave/servant who also happened to be darker skinned. The adoption of European concepts of race were easy.

The part about modern times is basically accurate.
But the reasons are not entirely accurate.

The cultural invasion from Europe in modern times was a major factor.

But another factor is that ancient Chinese showed a fondness for Caucasian women in the broadest sense, though not giving them too much status.
I can find quite a few ancient texts on this to show how much some ancient Chinese liked to compliment the appearance of Europeans/mixed races.
At that time, they were probably no more "white" than the typical East Asian nobility at that time in terms of skin color.

Another Chinese idiom, used to describe ugly appearance, is called "garlic-like nose and bean-like eyes".
Caucasians deviate from this description more frequently than East Asians.

Cultural invasion is one thing, but it cannot change our entire culture.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 14 May 2022, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 9:18 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
I can find quite a few ancient texts on this to show how much some ancient Chinese liked to compliment the appearance of Europeans/mixed races.
At that time, they were probably no more "white" than the typical East Asians at that time in terms of skin color.

Archaeologists say that western China had ancient European populations so again you are correct, The Chinese merchants were probably very familiar with caucasian faces. Prior to islam the European populations were long ago assimilated into the Chinese Han population. Therefore their appearance must have been appealing.

The current muslim population of Xinjiang is infact more recent (not ancient) on the wave of Turko-Mongol soldiers serving the mongol Khans. The previous Han-European populations were absorbed into the invader population.