Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 2:24 pm

What does that mean

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 2:39 pm

It is usually thought that people with Asperger's are relatively "higher-functioning" than people with "classic" autism.

So folks with "classic" autism feel like they have a lot to overcome----perhaps, in general, more than people with Asperger's.

Of course, Asperger's is usually not an "official" diagnosis----but I do believe that the Asperger's phenotype is valid.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 2:43 pm

I think she feels that so many people on WP are more high-functioning or something.

I think the high-functioning folk here outnumber the low-functioning folks. By low-functioning I mean living in care or being cared for by parents and not being able to work or live independently.

Generally the high-functioning folk are the ones that are in employment, or are seeking employment but haven't got a job due to discrimination, and are married with kids or are actively looking for a partner, etc. You know what I mean.

But most probably fall in-between, with high IQs but staggered autism symptoms (some symptoms notably severe depending on environment or mood, and may or may not be in employment due to certain restrictions caused by certain symptoms of autism).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 4:58 pm

The problem with being an aspie adult in a world full of NTs is:

They don't believe you when you say you're autistic, especially if you're a woman or a minority.

They believe you're a self-entitled brat who doesn't know how hard it is for pro ABA parents of autistic children.

They think that because you're "HF", you don't have any problems or challenges at all.

They don't realize that people on the spectrum are as different as fingerprints, and either think you can't be autistic because you're not like this other autistic person they know, or they think you're horrible and just like this other autistic person they know.

They don't see you as a "person".

They tell you what a horrible Nazi Hans Asperger was so you must also be a horrible Nazi for using his last name.

:roll:

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 10:53 pm

I know the feeling sweetheart

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 10:55 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I think she feels that so many people on WP are more high-functioning or something.

I think the high-functioning folk here outnumber the low-functioning folks. By low-functioning I mean living in care or being cared for by parents and not being able to work or live independently.

Generally the high-functioning folk are the ones that are in employment, or are seeking employment but haven't got a job due to discrimination, and are married with kids or are actively looking for a partner, etc. You know what I mean.

But most probably fall in-between, with high IQs but staggered autism symptoms (some symptoms notably severe depending on environment or mood, and may or may not be in employment due to certain restrictions caused by certain symptoms of autism).

no

classically autistic, 143 iq

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 10:55 pm

f*****g pressure to be nt

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 11:02 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I'm low functioning in some ways but not others

as a child I was developmentally different

behind but forwards at the same time

I'm friendly and sweet but socially dimwitted
intellectually smart..a grades at uni, love intellectual stuff, iq 143...but socially stupid

I like you Joe but we disagree on many matters

you write like I used to by the way

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 11:04 pm

I don't hate myself for being autistic....im ok with being me