Aspies are NOT bad guy comic book villans

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:26 am

Villains almost always deserve whatever punishment is meted out to them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:32 am

• Villains build businesses; Heroes tear them down.

• Villains plan and strategize; Heroes go with the flow.

• Villains define themselves; Heroes are defined by others.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:38 am

Villians destroy things which have been built by heroes.

Villains destroy ideas which have been thought of by heroes.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Villains almost always deserve whatever punishment is meted out to them.
Who decides who is the villain?  No, I am not talking about criminals; I am talking about those who wake up early and start texting their employees at 4:30 a.m. with new ideas.  I am talking about those who never take a vacation so that they can assure their businesses run smoothly and their employees still have jobs.  I am talking about those who barely know their families, but who have assured the financial security of their families for generations to come.  I am talking about those who are reviled for their lack of diplomatic skills while they are applauded for their achievements.

A villain's sole purpose is to provoke activity in an otherwise complacent, yet "heroic" population.  The villain is not a criminal -- Putin is a criminal; Zelenskyy is a villain (albeit a likeable one).  Trump is a criminal; Gates is a villain.  See the difference?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Villians destroy things which have been built by heroes.
No, that is a criminal.
kraftiekortie wrote:
Villains destroy ideas which have been thought of by heroes.
No, that is a criminal.

Villains build; criminals destroy; heroes sacrifice.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jun 2022, 8:46 am

Sorry, Fnord, but I will draw one of your favorite weapons:

Quote:
Definition of villain
noun
1. a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel.
2. a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot.
3. a person or thing considered to be the cause of something bad: Fear is the villain that can sabotage our goals.
4. villein.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/villain

Malice and evil intentions are constitutional to "villains" in fiction.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:47 am

A criminal is a type of villain.....or is a villain a type of criminal?

Sometimes, making a sacrifice could be futile, and could be done for not-so-altruistic reasons.

However, many times, people who go "above and beyond the call of duty" (i.e., "make sacrifices") become heroes.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jun 2022, 9:04 am

A criminal commits crimes - breaks the law.
If the laws and the morality don't align, a villain does not have to be a criminal and a criminal does not have to be a villain.
Historical example: helping Jews during Holocaust was a crime heroes committed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:09 am

Yep...and calling the invasion of Ukraine a war is equivalent to a criminal felony in Russia, punishable, potentially, by a 15-year prison sentence at hard labor.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:24 am

magz wrote:
A criminal commits crimes - breaks the law.
If the laws and the morality don't align, a villain does not have to be a criminal and a criminal does not have to be a villain.
Historical example: helping Jews during Holocaust was a crime heroes committed.
Yet by "enslaving" his Jewish employees, Schindler became a villain.  It was only after (long after) he had been captured and executed by the Soviets was he found to be a hero, and only because he made the ultimate sacrifice.

I maintain that the differences between heroes and villains is largely a matter of perspective, while the difference between criminals and everyone else is crime.

In my opinion, there are six basic kinds of characters: Cowards, Criminals, Heroes, Victims, Villains, and Nobodies.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:31 am

I would say all persons are all six at various times. And also somewhere in between those six absolutes. The difference is in what predominates (yes, "perspective").

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jun 2022, 9:33 am

I didn't mean Schindler, I meant regular people like the parents of my primary school teacher. Probably "nobodies" in your book - or at least that's how they seemed to think about theselves.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:33 am

magz wrote:
Sorry, Fnord, but I will draw one of your favorite weapons:
Quote:
Definition of villain
noun
1. a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel.
2. a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot.
3. a person or thing considered to be the cause of something bad: Fear is the villain that can sabotage our goals.
4. villein.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/villain

Malice and evil intentions are constitutional to "villains" in fiction.
Fair game!

:lol:

Of course, I have to defer to these definitions in principle.

Definitions #1 and #2 are what I would call a "criminal" -- villains with evil intent (or even "monsters"); but villains -- and I mean the kind you love to hate -- go far beyond these definitions.  A villain may act out of good intent -- providing jobs to an impoverished community by building a factory that produces military equipment (thus validating definition #3) -- which is the kind of villain to which I have been referring.

I hope I have not split this hair too finely.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:40 am

magz wrote:
I didn't mean Schindler, I meant regular people like the parents of my primary school teacher. Probably "nobodies" in your book - or at least that's how they seemed to think about themselves.
I do not mean "nobodies" in a literal sense, but "nobodies" in the literary sense -- unnamed background characters that fill out the setting.

Going back to definition #3, you may easily think of at least one well-intentioned member of this website who comes across as villainous in his posts -- irritating, obnoxious, and occasionally offensive -- but who in real life is looked up to by his family and friends.  Is he a villain?  To some, perhaps; to others, not so much.  Is he a criminal?  Certainly not!

:D