Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 4:42 am

I have my heart set on going abroad for a much needed vacation with my boyfriend, but all this stuff about airport delays and flight cancellations is putting me off and making me feel anxious. I haven't had a vacation since 2019 and I really need a break, after being such a difficult year with losing my mum and all that. I don't want to wait until next year to go because I just really want to go soon, around August or September time. I just need to get away and have a break.

When do you think all these staff shortages at the airports will be resolved? I knew all those futile lockdowns last year would f**k everything up.

Diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and mild ASD

I don't like autism being mentioned to me as I'm partly in denial.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 4:52 am

I know what you mean. I've booked flights to France. Going with a friend. Hoping it will be ok.

My other friend needs to renew her passport, so might not make it abroad. Ive suggested we go somewhere in the UK instead.

What about getting the train up North for a change of scenery? No passports needed.

York is a lovely city. Edinburgh is amazing. Scarborough is a nice seaside town. Maybe the Lake District or the Cotswolds or the Peak District. Depends if you would prefer seaside or rolling hills or lakes. Weather not guaranteed.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 5:01 am

I know many places in Wales. What sort of things do you and boyfriend like to do and see? Quaint little seaside villages with walks? Seaside resorts? Clubbing or drinking? (I do not like that sort of thing but I know where poeple (Hic) who like that love to go), beaches? Castles? Rocky mountains? Rounded mountains and hills?. Visiting an island or two with interesting remains or one with a monastory and a lighthouse? A botanic gardens on a huge scale with one of the largest greenhouses in the UK to keep tropical plants in with lovely walks inside (And outside) the greenhouse to explore? Manor houses open to the public? Britains smallest house? Traditional culture? Something old? Something new? Motor racing? Airplane displays for free? Horse racing? Fantastic cycle paths? Historic remains of various sorts such as old ship wrecks, or an abandoned village claimed by the sea when a tsunami hit, or remains of an old war factory etc? Mainland Britains only turlough with quarry walks, caves and legends? Museums? Places of interest such as little old towns with touristy shops (Traditional shops or by the sea there will be bucket and spade shops), zoo type parks and farms or theme parks for thrill rides? Bog snorkling? Zip line racing? The worlds largest underground trampoline? Caves and cave systems? Rock climbing and absailing? Mines be it coal or gold or other mines open to the public to explore? Preserved or otherwize standard gauge railways? Underwater exploration? Preserved or otherwize narrow gauge railways? Interesting historic railway remains? Roman remains? Celtic remains? Lots of things! Wales has it all and we even have public toilets to use at your own convenience too! What do you want to see?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 10:33 am

If you don’t have to get out of the UK—why not stay in the UK?

I’ve always wanted to go to the Scottish Isles.

Saying this, I can understand you wanting to go to a foreign land.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 10:48 am

I think the situation is still quite unpredictable. So, at this stage you can certainly plan but be prepared for any annoying changes that could affect your plan.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 12:40 pm

Well I have my heart set on Poland, as there are places there I really want to explore. I'm into thrill-seeking at the moment. My boyfriend is interested in history so it will be great for us both. I wanted to do it this year, as I don't want to wait until next year because anything could happen before then.

Diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and mild ASD

I don't like autism being mentioned to me as I'm partly in denial.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 1:35 pm

That sounds great. I was supposed to go to Krakow with a friend, but our flights got canceled in 2020 when covid hit. We were going to go to the salt mines and she wanted to go to Auschwitz. I wanted to just chill out in a cafe in the town square and visit the castle one day as well. We need to get that booked again.

You should go for it!

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 1:52 pm

cant afford travel but want see Netherlands and the van Gogh museum.

I love museums.

Scotland is good too

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 1:52 pm

used to know someone whom lived there, beautiful place

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 3:09 am

Since 2019?? lol. Last time I can recall taking a trip anywhere was ~2009 for 3 days to las vegas. Seems strange to me that people would spend all kinds of time and money to take a trip somewhere every year and would feel a huge need to get away after only a few years.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 3:24 am

Every time I see this thread title in the forum I think of this

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 3:40 am

klanka wrote:

Every time I see this thread title in the forum I think of this

That's what I was thinking so I went to check if anyone posted. :wtg:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 5:59 am

I guess it depends upon the individual.

Some people like to take frequent vacations from their homes.

Some people feel their homes constitute a permanent vacation.

Most are in between, though.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 6:34 am

I can't understand people who absolutely have to get away to just sit on a beach or in a resort. I went on holiday with my friend's family when I was 11 and they hardly left the resort. It was so boring.

I like going away for a change of scenery. I hadn't lived here long before lockdown so I've had the opportunity to find loads of new places within an hour of my home, but I'm itching to go somewhere new and explore now.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 8:48 am

hurtloam wrote:
I can't understand people who absolutely have to get away to just sit on a beach or in a resort.

I agree, but to each their own and all that. I like my home and being outdoors (closer to home with the latter, the better), and that's it. I'm probably boring or something. I'm one of those people that didn't notice anything different with the SARS-CoV-2 stuff, lol.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 11:01 am

hurtloam wrote:
I can't understand people who absolutely have to get away to just sit on a beach or in a resort. I went on holiday with my friend's family when I was 11 and they hardly left the resort. It was so boring.

I like going away for a change of scenery. I hadn't lived here long before lockdown so I've had the opportunity to find loads of new places within an hour of my home, but I'm itching to go somewhere new and explore now.

I dunno.. I maybe get that. We have a LOT of beaches here.. there's one under 20 min drive away, yet I drive 100km round trip to go to The Beach I hang out at - and sometimes I've made the trip twice/day! Living near such an amazing place I'm super drawn to is like being on a little mini vacation every time I head down the stairs to the sand after work.. if I didn't have this place, I dunno, maybe I Would be the kind of person to hop on an airplane once in a blue moon just to be at a beach. Maybe - can't say for sure since I don't live that life.

Wreck Beach is just below the cliffs that these trees sit atop:

Google image search Wreck Beach to find many photos. It makes some Top 10 lists of beaches In The World. Sooo, I have no Need to travel for a beach.. but I understand why some people may feel that need.