My friend asked me to loan him money in this case...

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 11:40 pm

Medical bills can often be financed, the facilities can set up a payment plan. So it sounds like bull to me. Tell him to call up that office and ask them to draw up a payment plan for him. Some of them are interest-free.

Also, tell him to start using a credit card, as repayment of that will improve his credit score. Borrowing from you won't give him that benefit. If he intends to improve his life he'll need it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 1:57 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Medical bills can often be financed, the facilities can set up a payment plan. So it sounds like bull to me. Tell him to call up that office and ask them to draw up a payment plan for him. Some of them are interest-free.

Also, tell him to start using a credit card, as repayment of that will improve his credit score. Borrowing from you won't give him that benefit. If he intends to improve his life he'll need it.

Depends.. if he has horrendous credit/no credit, he might not qualify for any sort of payment plan at any interest rate. Same for a credit card.

There was a time in my life that I couldn't finance anything and I had my aunt write a cheque for the full value of my brand new car and then made payments to her until it was paid off. That's life sometimes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 3:31 pm

I couldn’t get a credit card or any sort of financing when my credit score was in the low 600s.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 3:48 pm

If he is a friend ,he will not mind , if you do not wish to loan him the money…..
Don’t a lender or borrower be … old advise from earlier years back .
Have been fooled by people , that I thought I knew even after 8 years .
Am embarrassed to even say the amount . I lost .
This has happened to me at least 3 x in my life . As a Aspie it’s natural to want to be trusting .
We often have a hard time making and keeping friends . Just keep in mind the above saying .
Money is one of the number one things that can end friendships . IMHO

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 5:46 pm

Jakki wrote:
If he is a friend ,he will not mind , if you do not wish to loan him the money…..
Don’t a lender or borrower be … old advise from earlier years back .
Have been fooled by people , that I thought I knew even after 8 years .
Am embarrassed to even say the amount . I lost .
This has happened to me at least 3 x in my life . As a Aspie it’s natural to want to be trusting .
We often have a hard time making and keeping friends . Just keep in mind the above saying .
Money is one of the number one things that can end friendships . IMHO

Meh, don't worry about it.

So far in my life I've been burned for a collective $5000+ in small loans that were never repaid to me. I MIGHT be repaid $1k, maybe, in the future. In the grand scheme of life I'm Okay with it as I certainly received a lot more than $5000 worth of shelter and food from others when I needed it. Also, I can go and earn $5000 in less time than I'd waste dwelling on lost $ and trying to get repaid by people who will never pay.

I'm sure by the end of my life I'll have given out more than $10,000.00 in bad loans. Maybe. I mean, I am more and more careful about it now so maybe not.. but, life is a long time and I bet I'll end up loaning another $5k+ that I never see back again. I'll just make sure that when I loan it out I'm prepared to write it off and never see it again vs. rely on being repaid by unreliable people.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 7:02 pm

In general, I don’t loan money. I just give it outright. I’ve “lost” thousands this way. I’d probably have a higher standard of living had I kept all that money, but I’d rather give it away when others need it.

The one time I did make a loan: A friend needed several 1000 to keep from losing her house. I did not have that kind of cash, but I do have very good credit. I got a cash advance and gave her the $. She paid back every penny and all the interest. We are still friends. Have been for more than 20 years.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:51 pm

^ Great advice there. Give money you don't expect back.