Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 9:32 pm

I suffered from depression way worse when I took melatonin for 2 weeks straight. I also had some pretty bad gastrointestinal issues going on. So it’s not a supplement but they make it look that way. I’m glad something in me told me to listen to mom for once as she bitched and yelled at me. She told me about it and I didn’t even realize what I was doing to myself.

Still not a good idea to get too close to mom though. She really is not good for me. Way too stern.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2022, 12:53 am

I had a pretty good response taking melatonin for sleep several years ago. Tried taking a larger amount once and that was nasty. Slept soundly but spent the whole next day struggling to stay awake. Very unpleasant!

Mothers! They can pose problems!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 12:40 pm

It helped me to go to sleep but gave me vivid nightmares.Supposedly that can happen if you have PTSD.
Valerian root works better for me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 12:57 pm

I never tried it but my daughter did, and it made her really sick. She's always suffered from PTSD nightmares and I seem to recall they were intensified too, like Misslizard said.

I think it only works if your body is actually low on Melatonin, and if you can metabolise the tablets.

If it affected your stomach it's probably because Serotonin is produced in the stomach. I know Melatonin isn't the same as Seratonin, but Melatonin is absorbed in the GT tract. Maybe you had a double-whammy.

I hope you feel better, Sarah.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 1:28 pm

Been using Melatonin for years, no problems. Probably depends on the individual. If it's clear that it causes you more harm than good, then it's best not to use it.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 6:07 pm

I was taking two extra strength tablets. At about 10 mg each. Yes I experienced nightmares and depression. I never threw my melatonin away just maybe I over did it.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 5:13 pm

Hmm. Had humdinger case of PTSD , it seemed my entire life. As I aged it only improved for about 13 yrs.
And after much trial and error with SSRIs , went back to Seratonin type precursor s …. Never had any bad side effects from melatonin . But was pretty sure that due to circumstances there was little chance of normal serotonin
Production. So I started doing more and more melatonin … Eventually had bought bottles of 10 mg melatonin gummies .. One night after about 11:00 pm my body was not responding to my usuall sleep cocktail . So
I enjoyed the gummie flavour and slowly during the night. Until about 2 am kept chewing the gummies up ..
No respect for dosage.after about 2:40 am mercifully sleep came , in the morning, I looked at my melatonin gummie bottle it was empty except for three left . It was a brand new bottle. Am speculating , that I most likely averaged about 300 mgs. that night . Did it again the next week but had a 1/4 bottle leftover that time,before I slept. Now am back down to 3-6 mgs a night . With the rest of my sleep meds . Wonder if ptsd can cause resistance to melatonin ?

where ever you go ,there you are

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 4:22 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
I was taking two extra strength tablets. At about 10 mg each. Yes I experienced nightmares and depression. I never threw my melatonin away just maybe I over did it.

20mg would be overkill for most people without ASD, it might be overkill for you even with a diagnosis.

There is a relationship between autism and lower levels of melatonin at night. Other differences appear to occur as well, mostly described in the second link.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24050742/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2220306892

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う