Am I missing out by not seeing far-away live events ?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 8:40 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
What's the point of going to live events when some psychopath with a machine gun could turn them into dead events in a split second?

Exactly. Listening to live noise is not worth the risk.

The OP lives in the UK, one of the centers of the world (USA and UK). If anyone's missing out on any such event, it's the rest of the world, unless you exclusively like a foreign band that never goes out of their country such as Italy, Japan etc.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 12:21 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I'm confused. You live in the UK.. it's a very small place and nothing is far away. Why not just drive to the concerts you want to see, don't get drunk, and drive home afterwards? :?

google wrote:
At its widest the United Kingdom is 300 miles (500 km) across. From the northern tip of Scotland to the southern coast of England, it is about 600 miles (1,000 km).

It's not too likely that you live on one tip and the concert is at the other 1,000 km away - but 1,000 km can be driven in a day, anyways. When I shift drove with a friend down to Las Vegas for a weekend keg party after a car show we covered 2,150 km in 21.5 hours on the way there and 19.6 hours on the way back. Something like only a few hundred km each direction is very easy to drive/motorcycle to an event & then make the return trip same day afterwards.

Why not just hop in your car and take the short road trip and see the concerts you want to see ? :? It's not like they're touring in South America or something - they're just a few hour drive/ride away.

But in the UK, Glastonbury, Somerset (South west of the UK) isn't exactly a mile away from where I live, which is in Kent (South East of the UK). I wouldn't go there anyway because I don't think I could put up with a weekend unwashed and covered in sweat and muck. Also the artists and groups I see there are not really the types I'd want to see as I'm not into them.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 12:34 pm

chris1989 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
I'm confused. You live in the UK.. it's a very small place and nothing is far away. Why not just drive to the concerts you want to see, don't get drunk, and drive home afterwards? :?

google wrote:
At its widest the United Kingdom is 300 miles (500 km) across. From the northern tip of Scotland to the southern coast of England, it is about 600 miles (1,000 km).

It's not too likely that you live on one tip and the concert is at the other 1,000 km away - but 1,000 km can be driven in a day, anyways. When I shift drove with a friend down to Las Vegas for a weekend keg party after a car show we covered 2,150 km in 21.5 hours on the way there and 19.6 hours on the way back. Something like only a few hundred km each direction is very easy to drive/motorcycle to an event & then make the return trip same day afterwards.

Why not just hop in your car and take the short road trip and see the concerts you want to see ? :? It's not like they're touring in South America or something - they're just a few hour drive/ride away.

But in the UK, Glastonbury, Somerset (South west of the UK) isn't exactly a mile away from where I live, which is in Kent (South East of the UK). I wouldn't go there anyway because I don't think I could put up with a weekend unwashed and covered in sweat and muck. Also the artists and groups I see there are not really the types I'd want to see as I'm not into them.

GoogleyMaps tells me it's 167 miles - 2h 51 minute drive with tolls, 3h 23 mins no tolls. That's not a very long drive at all, especially if you're going to spend the weekend vs. drive back the same day.. but even the same day, it's only 270km each way, totally manageable.

I don't comprehend why people in the UK think those are far distances to travel for something :? :? :? it's only a few hour drive. I drive 100km round trip just to go to the beach and sometimes do it twice/day! I went for a day trip motorcycle ride a few weeks ago and covered 700kms by the time we got home - I could have kept going if I had to, could cover 800-900 for SURE, maybe even 1,000kms on the motorcycle in a single day if I had to keep going. And I would as long as I wasn't getting sleepy or cramping up.

270kms?? It's just one long movie's duration each way, not that big of deal At All. Seems so bizarre that people from the UK talk about distances like that as if it's a roadtrip to China or something when it's just a few hour drive.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 2:14 pm

I feel bad now because I didn't try to do these things even though it was only a few years ago that at 28 I started driving my own car but before then I still wouldn't go by train, plane or whatever because I thought it was pointless and less exciting at the time for me to go my own. I've had someone telling me that they went to concerts, the cinema, restaurants etc on their own and that it had changed their lives and made them realise they didn't need other people to have fun and still persuade me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 4:27 pm

Can't change the past!

Luckily life is a really long time. I have friends from the beach that are in their 60's and still attend wild parties and concerts by themselves/with the crowd vs. with a friend/date/partner.

Next time something comes up that you want to attend, get yourself a ticket and go enjoy it! 8)

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2022, 12:55 am

Driving places in the UK always takes much longer than you think.

A few years ago I had a great time at a festival in the OP's neck of the woods. Small World festival in Kent. All live gypsy and ska music. Was great fun! I'm not fussed about seeing big name bands but I do love music and dancing.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 1:56 am

Op you're still young. You've got years to do all this stuff. If you really feel like you could be missing out then go to a small local event and see how that works out for you and then take it from there.

I never really went to live events when I was younger unless I got in for free or worked on them but that was due to my lifestyle and I know that I have missed out.

My bf tells me that I've git a lot if catching up to do but I can do it and if I can do it at my age then so can you.