Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:04 am

I keep feeling depressed lately and even though I enjoy my job I still feel like I just want to call in sick and hide in my bed for a week. But I can't do that because I need the money. But I just feel low, worthless, and anxious. I'm worrying about lots of different things. I just want to escape. I miss my mum a lot.

I'm worrying about the war in Russia, the prices going up and up, catching covid even though I'm triply vaccinated, climate change, my boyfriend's drinking, the noisy upstairs neighbours... I just feel so depressed and anxious about it all, because I'm helpless. I can't do anything about any of these things. This world is such a horrible place and it's so sad that humans have to make life unlivable and unfair.

Also I keep feeling jealous of my cousin for not being on the spectrum even though she showed a lot of autistic traits in childhood. Why do I have to have the s**t and not anyone else? :cry:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:20 am

Don't be stressed. Go and spend some time walking through nature and capture what real life is all about. Ignore the press and the media scaremongering which is a self running machine to bring bad news as it runs on bad news as really good news does not make them money to fuel their tank.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:23 am

One bit of advice, which worked for me…

Stop following the news, especially 24 hour BBC news. I don’t know why they’re so intent on causing panic, but they do. It’s all b******s. If you switch off for a month you’ll find they’re still playing the same riffs when you go back.

Hope you feel better soon.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:01 am

It's just I heard 2 people talking at work about how everyone between certain ages will have to fight in the war or something. I ain't doing that. And if you can't do it because you have a diagnosis or something then they'll probably throw us in concentration camps or something, I get so scared.

Also I'm worrying about covid. My aunt caught covid at Christmas when she was awaiting her third vaccine (she had the third vaccine a couple of months ago) but she's had long covid ever since Christmas; a recurring cough and cold and has lost her taste. I don't want that happening to me, and they don't seem to be rolling out a forth vaccine. Hasn't the other 3 vaccines ran out in my system by now?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 11:16 am

I just feel so isolated. All my cousins are into drinking alcohol and going to noisy music festivals or nightclubs. And they seem to have the mental energy to go to the gym between work and other duties, and are all fit and slim, while I'm so depressed that I comfort eat and don't have the motivation to exercise so I'm just the fattest person in my family even though I always used to be the slimmest, no lie. I don't drink alcohol or smoke, so my way of relaxing is eating instead.

I just miss my mum. I know my two aunts are there for me but they have other commitments, like their own families. My boyfriend is sometimes drunk so I can't relate to him when he's drunk and sometimes he's nasty to me when he's drunk. I don't have as many friends as I used to, and I come to WP and get belittled by some members (not in this thread). I just feel so alone in this world. I want my mum. :cry:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 11:24 am

You do have a lot of friends here Joe. Don't ever think that you don't.

I would say that a lot of people follow your posts and for good reasons too. I would hate to see that change because you made a mistake.

I'm not your enemy.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:15 pm

That problem with your neighbours upstairs sounds really bad. There's no way you can move?

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:35 pm

It's really difficult to move now due to the rise in living costs. I have druggies next door and want to get away from their noise but no luck so far on the council list. Might have to hold my nose and go private with the extra cost.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 3:55 pm

Having loud neighbours is one of the worst things.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 4:27 pm

I'm sorry for what you're going through, Joe90. I have a noisy upstairs neighbour and experienced anxiety and panic attacks with noise too. I can only offer advice on what helped me, and hope this is useful for you too.

I sent a polite message to my landlord, explaining how the noise was unbearable and if they were able to soundproof my ceiling. I asked them to tell the tenant upstairs to wear slippers, as that would make a huge difference. He was always dropping things too (that hasn't changed). And I told my landlord I wanted to move out as I could not handle the noise. My landlord asked him to wear slippers (although the tenant denied the noise was coming from him). They didn't soundproof my ceiling, although I don't think they would refuse if I insisted.

Upstairs was quiet for a while and the slippers made a big difference, but then overtime he got noisy again. I've needed to invest in a dehumidifier for my flat and keep this on for most of the day. THIS is what helped the most. I have noticed the noise from this really dulls out noise from upstairs....I no longer feel anxious and panicked when he's stomping around and dropping things.

Upstairs is like background noise and so easy to ignore now. The noise from the dehumidifier isn't too bad, it can get annoying sometimes and I turn it off when he isn't around. The other issue is the cost of my electricity is higher because I need it on for most of the day.

So, if you can afford it, I suggest investing in one of these to dull out the noise upstairs. I have a Meaco dehumidifier.

Ps I don't feel Babybird did anything wrong for pointing out what she did.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 5:22 am

The upstairs neighbours have hardwood floors and always seem to be sweeping and brushing them in the noisiest possible way, several times a day. You can basically hear everything they're doing up there. I have a fan that I put on that should drown out their noise but it doesn't. Even if I put earplugs in I can still hear them! Sometimes they wake me up early when I don't want to be woken yet - and I sleep with earplugs in! That's how noisily they thunder about in their apartment. And then their kid screams and cries all the time.
Sometimes when it's too quiet I feel edgy, waiting for a sudden bang - and usually it happens. It's as though a heavy brick is being thrown or something.
I keep begging my boyfriend to swap with them - they can have our ground floor apartment (which will be easier for them since they have a baby) and we can live upstairs. Hearing noise from downstairs is much more bearable than hearing noise from upstairs. Only thing is, there's a third floor, so there'd still be people above us and I don't know how noisy they are.

Quote:
Ps I don't feel Babybird did anything wrong for pointing out what she did.

Yes she did and I don't want to talk about it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 6:16 am

I'm just one big mess of depression and anxiety at the moment and I can't seem to snap out of it. Everything is getting on top of me, and to top it all off a coworker who I work with has come down with covid and I'm so scared I'm going to get it. It was about a year ago since my boyfriend had his third vaccine and he hasn't been invited for a booster, so I don't even know if he's protected any more. He has physical health problems such as COPD and diabetes. Will he be OK??

I'm sick of worrying about everything. It's such an effort to get out of bed in the mornings. I just want to stay in bed, shut the world out and put DVDs on. I'm not feeling very well emotionally at the moment. Now I'm waiting to get covid. I'm beside myself here and I'm so terrified.

I'm thinking of leaving this site too because it's making me worse here. With my state of mind right now I don't need people I thought were my friends calling me racist and accusing me of deliberately offending people. Sick of this stupid wokeness on this site.

I also keep having trouble with breathing, mostly at night when I'm in bed. I try the recommended breathing techniques but it doesn't always work. It just makes me feel even more breathless. I hate this world, always full of disease and war and greed. I feel so many emotions right now that I want to swear and say bad things but I can't because it'll be "against the rules".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 6:45 am

Could you get home COVID tests? How available are COVID tests in your area?

All this would be stressful to me, too.

Within this round of COVID, there are way fewer hospitalizations than previously, and way fewer deaths. I’ve known a few people who got COVID. They all never got serious symptoms, and recovered within a few days. They weren’t great physical specimens.

Maybe the reason you both didn’t get COVID is because you both have some sort of natural immunity. Who knows?

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 6:50 am

Yeah, I still need to wear earplugs when sleeping too.

Hmm.... I'm guessing the fan may not be noisy enough to dull out other noise.

Have you expressed your concerns to your landlord; asked him to have a polite word? I think soundproofing the ceiling, if possible, would be the best solution.

I don't think swapping should be an option....I'd be concerned about noise upstairs AND downstairs if I moved in the middle. Would moving out and renting a small bedroom house be a possibility? The only noise you'd have deal with there is people nextdoor.

Have you tried grounding techniques to help with anxiety? For example: naming all the colours you can see around you, and feeling all the different materials in your room (glass, plastic, paper etc).

I can't really comment on your grievances around 'wokeness' on this site, as I disagree with you.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 6:57 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm thinking of leaving this site too because it's making me worse here. With my state of mind right now I don't need people I thought were my friends calling me racist and accusing me of deliberately offending people. Sick of this stupid wokeness on this site.

You need to read what I actually wrote when your head is clearer.

Please don't tell lies about me in order to play the victim card Joe it really doesn't suit you.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 7:21 am

babybird wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

You need to read what I actually wrote when your head is clearer.

Please don't tell lies about me in order to play the victim card Joe it really doesn't suit you.

It doesn't suit you to have a go at me in other threads either. Your post in that rants thread sounded really angry and accusing. It wasn't a racist remark I wrote, it was that I'd got a scientific/mathematical fact wrong, but people these days have to only focus on the "racial" part instead of just figuring out that I'm just stupid.

It reminds me of that South Park episode "With Apologies To Jesse Jackson", where everyone focuses on an honest mistake Randy had made that made everyone accuse him of being racist instead of seeing the bigger picture.

I have read your reply loads of times but I can't see it in any other way other than accusations, and it just felt surprising coming from you. It was in the haven as well, not PPR.

But that's not on the top of my list of worries at the moment, I'm just s**t scared of covid. I know people aren't dying so much now but my aunt got covid in early January (she had had 2 jabs but has had her third since) and she's still suffering with long covid now, July. And she seems to have permanently lost her taste ever since, and she doesn't smoke or have underlying health issues. I don't know if long covid is a thing any more but I don't want it. Everyone was working with the guy that got covid yesterday, so I suppose it will now do its rounds around my workplace. There's no escaping it. It's so f*****g contagious.
And yes we do have testing kits at home and as soon as I get home tonight me and my boyfriend going to get tested. But you've got to take 2 or 3 to get an accurate result, and sometimes you don't always catch it straight away, it can take up to 4-5 days to start showing any symptoms.