Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 9:10 pm

I’m very bad at being an adult. My Aspergers can be very bad, makes me feel like I’m sooooo immature for a 51 year old, next month, I will be 52. I not suppose to be 5 years old, on a good day, I’m in my 20-30s, but I’m soooo immature for my age. I was like that when I was in my 20 & 30s, I was still living with my mom, my parents separated when I was 16, I think they got a divorce. Anyway, I felt soooo immature in my 20s, but I was responsible more on alot of days. I worked at a disabled workshop when I was 21, I wasn’t a very good employee. In the beginning, I don’t remember if I was there everyday, that was 1991. But I do
know I skipped days of work later, I think I came in late too. The only time I was there for two weeks in a row was when I had a boyfriend there, we met at the workshop, I could not keep up going everyday, it felt like hard work. I worked at my mom's school too, I wasn’t a very good employee. I worked at an art gallery workshop too, I wasn’t there everyday, I ended up going there three days a week. I still not very responsible, I was more smarter back then too. It’s weird, when I was a child, I couldn’t wait to grow up, now I’m an adult wanting to be a child again.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 9:31 pm

I'm not going to make any value judgements on what you said; after all, you are the only person who is experiencing being you & all that comes with being you.

It does seem you have had extra struggles in recent years and I wish that you hadn't had to.

And there does seem to be an undercurrent of frustration in this post.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 9:52 pm

sucks. :cry:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 1:40 am

I used to be immature when I was a teenager, and I don't mean the typical immaturity most teenagers can be. I sometimes acted like a toddler and was a burden on my mum, like toddlers typically are. Not always, like when I was 14 I could sometimes behave 14, particularly at school, but otherwise at home my mental age would sometimes go down to 3. :oops:

I'm more mature now and I do feel like a 32-year-old. I know some NT 32-year-olds that still haven't got their lives together and act like 16.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 6:05 am

I’m not so great at being an adult sometimes.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 1:27 pm

The good thing about being an adult is that you can do so much more than you can when you're a child.

It took me years to understand adult responsibilities like paying bills, holding down a job etc but once I grasped that I was fine.

We can all be immature at times. I don't think that's exclusive to being on the spectrum either. I just think it's what people do.

I suppose its only really an issue if you're sucking your thumb in public and throwing tantrums in restaurants and supermarkets.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 8:21 pm

Poor girl I know how you feel.

I want to be more adult and know how to deal with things better too. I'm 37 and feel 12.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 8:33 pm

Being an adult is hard. Being a kid is hard, too, but for different reasons.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:58 pm

babybird wrote:
The good thing about being an adult is that you can do so much more than you can when you're a child.

It took me years to understand adult responsibilities like paying bills, holding down a job etc but once I grasped that I was fine.

We can all be immature at times. I don't think that's exclusive to being on the spectrum either. I just think it's what people do.

I suppose its only really an issue if you're sucking your thumb in public and throwing tantrums in restaurants and supermarkets.

I still don’t understand bills, how much it cost to run something, fans, ceiling fan & lights. I know air conditioner is more expensive & I think refrigerator is too. I have a water heater in my apartment, I don’t know almost nothing about it, how much cost to make hot water, I know it cost to have hot water.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 9:03 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
Poor girl I know how you feel.

I want to be more adult and know how to deal with things better too. I'm 37 and feel 12.

I’m 51 & feel sooo stupid.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 11:08 pm

I wish I have someone that cares & want to help me. I have to do everything myself, I’m not responsible enough. I don’t want to live anymore. The problem is doing everything myself, I am so helpless, the thought of doing everything myself terrifies me. I’m 51 not a child. I can have very bad anxiety, I can have trouble breathing too. How can I be a grown adult if I’m mentally a child?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 11:28 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:

I know this feel. :(

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 12:44 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I wish I have someone that cares & want to help me. I have to do everything myself, I’m not responsible enough. I don’t want to live anymore. The problem is doing everything myself, I am so helpless, the thought of doing everything myself terrifies me. I’m 51 not a child. I can have very bad anxiety, I can have trouble breathing too. How can I be a grown adult if I’m mentally a child?

Hugs. I wish i could do something to help

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 10:38 pm

I'm probably the only adult left on the planet who has never learned to drive a car or gotten a job and it looks like I will die that way. Which will be in a few more months or so.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 11:41 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm probably the only adult left on the planet who has never learned to drive a car or gotten a job and it looks like I will die that way. Which will be in a few more months or so.

I also can't drive but somehow have gotten a job. I have to say you are not missing out on anything important.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 4:08 pm

I'm An Adult Now