Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 5:36 am

My very disabled partner (not married) is in desperate need of a new desktop which will cost upwards of $2000. This might not sound serious but I assure you all that it is a very real, very critical medical need for my partner. I have spent the last several hours near him in part because ever since his laptop broke he has been dangerously suicidal. We have already taken many severe financial hits these last few weeks on top of inflation and...every other awful thing about this economy.

I already opened a new line of credit a few days ago before this current crisis (which I am still waiting to get the card for so I can actually use it), but the credit limit is too low to cover this expense. I am considering taking out a personal loan. I could ask either parent because they are both well-off, but it makes my skin crawl to ask for even $200, let alone $2000.

So I feel compelled to take out a personal loan. I have decent credit, but I am still stricken with anxiety. I have never done this before, I am not about to ask my parents or friends for help, and I am autistic as hell and worry I will be exploited or make some other obvious error and sink myself deeper. I'm scared and I don't know what to do.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 6:05 am

As long as you pay back the loan on time, every month, you’ll be okay.

The only trouble is that loans cost more than borrowing from your parents because of interest.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 8:05 am

Could you/he settle for a cheaper laptop? US$2000 is quite expensive, pretty much like AU$3000. Some cheap laptops only cost < AU$500, which must be < about US$350, though obviously specs are low. They can still do many things.

Do you feel capable of pay paying back the loan + interest? If not absolutely sure, then it's dangerous and will be very stressful. Things could get worse. The idea sounds pretty scary. If you have to borrow, you'd better do so from your family, and arrange a repayment plan that is comfortable for you/your partner.

Edit: fixed error

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 8:23 am

I sense that this is some sort of "specialized" laptop, rather than a regular, average laptop.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 9:07 pm

Go fund me

Medical insurance

Government benefits

Social service agency

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2022, 5:44 am

$2000 for a new desktop !?

Are you getting some top end alienware pre-made thing ??

Have you considered getting the laptop fixed ?

You could buy the basics and upgrade when the money situation gets better, that's how I eventually built mine.

Have you considered buying a desktop on credit rather than having the money.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 5:05 pm

It sounds like your partner needs a very specific laptop, so I think a good option would be to finance it. Paying a portion upfront and making regular payments on the rest. You should be able to do that even if the Line of credit you opened won't cover the total cost in one payment.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:05 am

If you can qualify for an Amazon store card (one of the easier ones to get in my experience), they have a standing finance option that allows you to make monthly payments interest free on any purchase over $150, I believe on something that expensive you may get 18 months or more to pay it off. I just used it to buy a new phone myself, made things pretty painless with my payment being something like $30 per month. I'll echo others in saying that sounds like a lot for a desktop, even a halfway decent gaming rig can be had for less than $2000.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 7:39 am

I need money too but for living expenses and fuel bills. its frustrating

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 8:54 am

How are things, Roronoa?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:01 am

I wish I could help you, but I'm also strapped for money.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 10:59 am

:?

Sounds like someone has champagne taste on a tap water budget.

Tell him to use his own money/finance it himself and pay it off if he "needs," something that costs $2k. No funds/source of income to repay it = no fancy desktop.

IF it were MY partner I'd consider buying them Something, but certainly not a $2000 machine when I had no money myself, either, and would have to finance it. Heck, I went without a computer for a couple years when my 2nd used macbook died - just used my iphone only - until I needed to buy Something to use for the business consulting work I was doing.. and even then, I only needed a full size keyboard and reasonable size screen so that I could read spreadsheets and write emails. I opted to buy the display model of the cheapest HP chromebook for sale at Staples for $250cdn + tax so it was around 300 bucks or something like that all in. That was nearly 2 years ago and I'm typing on it right now.

2 grand US.. ffs I've bought 6 or 7 different CARS for less than that. The expense is WAY beyond your means and entirely foolish to consider, IMO.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 11:04 am

I think the guy might have some sort of cerebral palsy that requires a very specialized computer.