Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 2:10 pm

I don't know if it is strep or just sore throat. But I read that if it's just sore throat then it will be accompanied by a stuffed nose, which I don't have.
I feel slightly better now, the aching has gone and I have a bit more energy than I did yesterday. My immune system is strong so it usually fights off whatever infection I have. When I had the flu once I was literally laid up in bed (which isn't like me) but it only lasted 5 days tops, while for most people it typically lasts up to 2 weeks. Also I got a bladder infection a few weeks ago but that cleared up all by itself without needing antibiotics.

I actually hardly ever get sick.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 2:18 pm

I don't remember if I had a stuffed nose with Strep, but I don't think so.
It was one of those "superbugs" that was prevalent 10 years ago.
It lasted over a month and didn't respond to any type of antibiotic.

I've only had "the flu" once in my life, and it was a stomach flu.
That was about 30 years ago.

I hope you continue to feel better.
It sounds like you're already starting to recover.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm

I got norovirus at age 27 from the nursing home I used to work at. I hadn't had that since I was a small child, also it was the first time I had physically vomited in 17 years.

I got the flu when I was 28, although I'd had bad colds before none were as bad as that. But like I said, I recovered fairly quickly.

And I survived covid, whether I've had it before without knowing or not, I still survived it without being ill.

Otherwise I very seldom get sick. My gums are healing up now I think, but my throat hurts to swallow. It feels like there's a bramble in my throat. Gargling with salty water doesn't seem to get to it. I need to swallow something to soothe it. I hate gargling in case I choke.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 1:14 am

Help I'm in a dilemma here. I have gingivitis and a severe sore throat, took covid test but came back negative. My gums are so swollen over my teeth that it's impossible to eat - and I'm due to go away tomorrow. I've checked with the only emergency dentist that is open today, and I've been asked to come another day because I have a sore throat.

It's not fair, I could be suffering here and gingivitis could turn into something much worse than covid yet covid is all everyone cares about. What do I do? I'll just have to go on my holiday unwell and unable to eat, and it'll probably just get worse and I'll end up losing all my teeth or something. :cry:

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 1:28 am

Visiting a dentist won't heal it overnight. Antiseptic mouthwash is really the long term solution. You have to take your time with it though. Having an appointment now or a few days later won't make a difference, you'll have to rinse it with antiseptic mouthwash either way.

As for the throat it's the same story. I gargle antiseptic mouthwash until the point of gagging on it, for a very deep clean. It works reliably.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 5:39 am

Joe90 wrote:
Help I'm in a dilemma here. I have gingivitis and a severe sore throat, took covid test but came back negative. My gums are so swollen over my teeth that it's impossible to eat - and I'm due to go away tomorrow. I've checked with the only emergency dentist that is open today, and I've been asked to come another day because I have a sore throat.

It's not fair, I could be suffering here and gingivitis could turn into something much worse than covid yet covid is all everyone cares about. What do I do? I'll just have to go on my holiday unwell and unable to eat, and it'll probably just get worse and I'll end up losing all my teeth or something. :cry:

some corsodyl might help temporarily if it does not go away on its own or until you can see a dentist.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 7:58 am

It's just when I look online about gingivitis the results practically tell you that you must see a dentist immediately or you'll die, and that has heightened my anxiety. I'm hoping one week won't hurt, and as soon as I get back I will sort out a dentist.

In the meantime I bought some lozenges, and I took some painkillers, I'm swishing saltwater around my mouth every 3-4 hours, cleaning and flossing my teeth thoroughly, and I'm trying to get plenty of rest. And I'm relying on my immune system to fight it too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 8:07 am

Here’s TRUE info about gingivitis.

Hint: it is almost always not serious. But you should see a dentist because it shouldn’t be left untreated. Make an appointment, and wait the few weeks or months for it. But it is not considered a dental emergency in and of itself. Where did you get the idea that you might die from gingivitis?

My feeling is that you have some sort of cold, maybe strep throat. Sometimes, my gums hurt when I have a cold.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... 1#overview

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 10:12 am

It says if left untreated it can result in loss of teeth. My teeth are strong and healthy and I've never had toothache or any other issues like that, and I don't want to start losing my teeth at my age. Will going one week without seeing a dentist make my teeth fall out?

I don't really know what it is I have. I've looked up all sorts of things; gingivitis, strep throat, monkeypox, foot and mouth disease, malaria (because I got bitten by mosquitoes), and loads more. Gingivitis is the only one I have most symptoms of, although my gums aren't bleeding when I clean my teeth. They did bleed 2 nights ago when I cleaned my teeth but not now, even though I'm cleaning right over the gums.

It's making it mighty difficult to eat. I had some soft fruit earlier and it took me nearly an hour. I'm not in pain as such (no toothache or anything) but it's just uncomfortable to eat on swollen gums and to swallow with such a sore throat. I am sucking on lozenges, which is probably adding plaque to my teeth, but the throat is agony - although it is more bearable at the moment because I took 2 painkillers.

I just hope this doesn't spoil my vacation. I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling tomorrow and I am prone to travel sickness if I don't eat just right, so that is one thing that is making me worried. I do have sickness pills but they work better when I eat substantial meals. But at the moment I'm finding it hard to eat anything other than soup, and my stomach is starving. :cry:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 11:24 am

No. Your teeth won’t fall out in a week.

I’ve had dental problems for years—yet I still have most of my teeth.

Sorry you have to go through this mess.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
No. Your teeth won’t fall out in a week.

I’ve had dental problems for years—yet I still have most of my teeth.

Sorry you have to go through this mess.

It's just what the internet tells me - always the worst case scenario. Like "if you don't see a dentist immediately then your teeth will start to rot and fall out quickly" and "gingivitis can turn into a severe disease that will affect your heart and liver", and "you will get foul breath that will never be cured no matter how well you brush your teeth". All of that frightens me and is not what you want to hear when you have a sudden case of something you've never had before just before you're about to set off on a vacation that you paid so much for.

I'm like that woman in Honey We Shrunk Ourselves who was having her vacation no matter what. Maybe it's a woman thing. :)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:14 pm

COVID doesn't restrict you from travel anymore, so you're in the clear anyway. Also nobody has it bad anymore.[/quote]

So not true. Thousands of people are still dying from covid and society is just pretending it isn't bad anymore. But it still is. Humanity is stupid and living like a river in Egypt. Stupid stupid STUPID. :x

It's never just a cold anymore. It's covid or a life-threatening strain of flu.
It's never just a stomach ache, it's food poisoning.
It's never just a headache, it's meningitis.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:20 pm

I had a bad case of gingivitis as a kid and they had me use a chlorophyll based toothpaste.Salt water gargles help and gargling with hydrogen peroxide,
Sometime gingivitis happens when you are exposed to the cold sore herpes virus.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:25 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I had a bad case of gingivitis as a kid and they had me use a chlorophyll based toothpaste.Salt water gargles help and gargling with hydrogen peroxide,
Sometime gingivitis happens when you are exposed to the cold sore herpes virus.

I am prone to cold sores at the corners of my mouth, although I haven't had them for ages. I've been getting cold sores since I was 14. I sometimes worry in case herpes is an underlying illness that will attack my immune system one day. I don't know how serious it is, but I dare not look it up on the internet because it will just frighten me further by giving me the worst case scenario thing again.

But I've never had gingivitis before in my life. My mouth has always been pretty healthy and I look after my teeth well.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:28 pm

Joe I read more about Strep and apparently it can go into the gums.
Are you sure you can't see a doctor before your journey?
Have you looked in your throat for white pus?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 2:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe I read more about Strep and apparently it can go into the gums.
Are you sure you can't see a doctor before your journey?
Have you looked in your throat for white pus?

No there's no chance I can see a doctor now. If I do, then they'll give me antibiotics, which usually give me diarrhea, which is the number one fear I have when traveling or doing other activities in public.

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a sore throat or gingivitis, but a load of mouth sores all come up. I now have an ulcer on my lip too (it's not a cold sore, just a small, sore bump like an ulcer). So I think it's just an infection I have in my mouth. God knows how and why. I've never had this before.