Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:23 am

Ugh, I hate people bringing Asperger's into the conversation. To the people who know me from childhood so know I have it (ie, all my family) I do not want it to define me. I just want to it be "the elephant in the room". I hate it when I talk about a noise I dislike and people say "that's because of your
Sp-her-jers" (how Brits annoyingly pronounce it).
This is why I don't tell anybody who doesn't know I have it. I don't want it being brought up. I hate it. Fills me with shame and embarrassment. Horrible word. Horrible thing to have. Makes me shudder. Makes me despise myself. Makes me want to scramble my ugly brain into a nice, pretty neurotypical brain. f**k Asperger's. f**k autism. f**k the s**t. Hate is an understatement.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:29 am

If I spent all my life just having Asperger's, and died in my sleep, I would think I had a pretty good life.

There shouldn't be a stigma attached to Asperger's. There's too many myths floating around about it. If you feel ashamed to have Asperger's, it only serves to "confirm" those myths.

All in all, there's nothing "wrong" with you just because you have Asperger's.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:51 am

There is something wrong with me having Asperger's, and that's all the physical health risks I'm going to suffer because now I've learnt that so many chronic and even deadly diseases come with autism (something I never even knew before I came here) and so now I think that I've got everything. I bet I've got an autoimmune disorder. Nobody told me I was going to get that when I was first diagnosed with Asperger's. I thought it was just a neurological disorder like dyslexia but no, it's a f*****g disease innit. :cry:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 9:17 am

No. Just because you have Asperger's doesn't mean you're going to get an autoimmune disorder or whatever. Or any disease.

Just like being a PERSON doesn't guarantee you will get an autoimmune disorder or whatever. Or any disease.

I didn't get prostate cancer because I am autistic. I got it because got it.

Like I said previously, think as an individual, not as a disease.

Asperger's, in and of itself, doesn't increase the possibility that anybody is going to get any disease.

Why do you believe everything that is negative, and not believe things that are positive?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 9:21 am

Quote:
Why do you believe everything that is negative, and not believe things that are positive?

Because these studies keep getting shared on WP about autistic people being more likely to get ill from all these different diseases listed, just because they're autistic. Various studies say that your brain wiring can dictate your overall health and cause autoimmune disorders and diabetes and other diseases. Is this a case of autistic people being born with these or do they randomly develop in their 30s?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 9:30 am

Many things can cause you to get diabetes and autoimmune diseases.....many more than just "brain wiring."

To be honest, I’m afraid I’m going to get Alzheimer’s. I’m 61 years old, and sometimes remember things like I’m 71.

One way to prevent Alzheimer’s—is to not worry about getting Alzheimer’s.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 9:48 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
No. Just because you have Asperger's doesn't mean you're going to get an autoimmune disorder or whatever. Or any disease.

Just like being a PERSON doesn't guarantee you will get an autoimmune disorder or whatever. Or any disease.

I didn't get prostate cancer because I am autistic. I got it because got it.

Like I said previously, think as an individual, not as a disease.

Asperger's, in and of itself, doesn't increase the possibility that anybody is going to get any disease.

^^^^^ Ditto This ^^^^^

Agreed .

where ever you go ,there you are

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:01 am

How are the gums and teeth feeling?

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:13 am

Don't be so hard on youself Joe. Having aspergers isn't your fault.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:30 am

I'm just freaking out because I've been unwell for the last 3 weeks and I don't quite know why. My gums have healed up just about, but I still haven't got my appetite back properly and I keep feeling nauseous and dizzy. I'm hoping it's anemia and/or inner ear problems, and not something like an autoimmune disease.

I've got my forth covid jab in a couple of weeks and I'm scared I might have one of those autoimmune diseases where you'll die if you have a covid vaccine. How quickly do these autoimmune diseases come, as I had 3 covid vaccines last year and didn't die?

I'm not too worried about getting Alzheimer's - although that's another disease listed in the "autistic people are more likely to get" study.

I just keep thinking that just because I have Asperger's it means I have faulty genes that will give me all these diseases, even cancer. Has ASPartOfMe shared a study on autistic people "more likely" to get cancer yet? I'm waiting for that one.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:37 am

It's good to know that any study which deals with "autistic people" just might consist of many subjects who are relatively more "severely" autistic than most people with Asperger's. Many of these people have genetic disorders in addition to their autism.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's good to know that any study which deals with "autistic people" just might consist of many subjects who are relatively more "severely" autistic than most people with Asperger's. Many of these people have genetic disorders in addition to their autism.

But they're saying Asperger's doesn't exist, nor does severity, we're all just one size fits all autistic. So how do I know if I'm severe enough or not?

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:48 am

i only have ailments and get sick a lot because of the damage excessive alcohol and drug abuse in the past did to my body

and i was born premature and very small too but i grew into a healthy child

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:51 am

If you don't have an accompanying genetic disorder, then you probably don't have a reduced lifespan owing to having autism (or not having autism).

There are varying degrees of "functioning." That cannot be denied. Many people who, say, absolutely require an attendant to look after them day after day, probably have a reduced lifespan because they have a genetic disorder in addition to autism. There are some who don't have a genetic disorder----but many do.

You're not in that category---so you probably don't have a reduced lifespan because of your "condition" alone.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:56 am

I have read somewhere that genetic disorders can cause autism but not the other way around. But the way these articles of these studies are worded it makes it sound like we're all at risk of having all these diseases and that any ailment you suffer from, even if it's just come on recently, is due to an unknown underlying disease caused by being autistic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:59 am

There are times when people who report on studies have a sensationalistic intent in reporting them.

One has to read the study in its entirety (which is frequently very difficult for a layperson to do) in order to really get at the heart of the results of the study.

Many times, the actual results of the study don't gibe with what was in the headline about the study.