E2LA Says "It's Complicated" (and a few other things)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

02 Oct 2022, 3:12 pm

Hi, all. Lately, I have been worried about a lot of things in the news, and I keep hearing things about "What are the chances this will happen", "What will happen next", and a bunch of analysis. All of this information overload is enough to make one overthink and over-analyze everything. Not helping is that all of these predictions are very much varied, and much of this stuff, we, as just one person, can't really control, in addition to how the news media tends to focus on the bad to instill fear. . To close this part out, I say: If you're worried about all this, you're not alone. I know I've posted about this in the past, but now that I have a moment of clarity here, I wanted to add these new points and pass them along to you.

Let me make this clear: The truth of the matter is about all these things, in two words: "It's complicated". There's just so many variables to everything in life, that it makes things pretty hard to determine what will actually go on. The world is a complicated place, and granted, while I do have my times of anxiety, I want to try and help people find the good aspects of life and encourage others to do the same. I'm not a jaded cynic (a quality I hate a lot).

With that said, I wanted to post four tips of advice on how to cope with all these things, from Psychotherapist Lesley Alderman (who also tells us this term: Hope fatigue (noun): An optimism deficit about the things we can't control, and it is normal to feel weary and want to disengage, but that isn't the answer):

1. If you feel anxious, try this deep breathing exercise: Inhale to the count of five and exhale to the count of five. Repeat this three times. This will help calm the fight or flight response.

2. Take care of your physical health. Eat well, sleep well, exercise wisely. This may sound trite, but each of those activities will calm your nervous system.

3. Remind yourself of what's working in your life, whether it's your job, relationship, friendships, children..... or the things you enjoy. :)

4. Take action on an issue that's important to you - maybe your road needs a speed bump to make things safer, or maybe the library needs more funding. The answer to hope fatigue lies in thinking about what you can do rather than what you can't.

Lastly, regarding the news: https://www.verywellmind.com/is-watchin ... th-4802320
- Try to be careful of what you read, BTW. I trust Media Bias/Fact Check, AdFontes and AllSides to tell me what I should read.

And about analysis/opinion: https://thespeakernewsjournal.com/diffe ... -analysis/

This will be my last post about this matter, because I feel that I now have gotten my point across clearly. Much love to you, and be well and happy, my friends. Hope you got something out of this.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 10:32 pm

I think that all of this is very sound advice. You have a lot of very good points. I especially like the parts of watching what you read and watch.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 11:13 pm

In situations like this its tempting to yes - stay healthy, eat well (plus supplements if desired), but also conserve energy if you've been feeling strapped.

I've dropped a lot of my more involved hobbies, in some cases for outside world reasons, in others because I feel like I'm in my own sort of turning point in life (post-trauma recovery) and I feel like I need to build velocity to know that I'm ready to take the next big thing in my life, whatever that may be, and building that velocity means putting everything to the side that I can and 'inhabiting myself' properly for a while without as many 'I do x' identifications pulling at me.

Good health, or at least the best you can manage, is the one thing you can bring with you anywhere and also aid your decision-making that much more. If things kicked off in anyone's hometown yes, there are skills and resources you'd probably want to have, but having your wits about you and having health that could hold up even under the circumstances is one bonus you can give yourself which covers any situation.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

11 Oct 2022, 11:49 am

https://newsliteracymatters.com/2020/09 ... -informed/ - To kind of further what I said about overanalyzing because of information overload, here's this link.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."