When does the nightmare end?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 1:54 am

Covid was terrible(it's still going on), then the nuclear threats of russia and then overturning roe vs wade. Like what the f*** is this nightmare jesus f*****g christ, sometimes it feels so crazy and insane I feel like I should be waking up, but no the crazy sh*t is actually reality and not just a nightmare. How to keep ones sanity IDK I am doing my best to keep mine, but it does involve quite a bit of weed and beers to not go batshit crazy. I thought 22 could be a good year, but at that point I didn't know we were going to lose bodily autonomy this year.'

I used to watch twilight zone every new years, but f**k now I am in one...

Authentique
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2022, 3:48 am

I know right. I read a lot of dystopian novels growing up, now I live in one. I think a lot of people are just sleeping through all this, pretending everything's normal. It's not, I remember normal. I too have had medicinal help through this, but I don't drink anymore. Also used to watch twilight zone every new years, when i had a tv. Stay safe.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 7:41 am

Things for us in the UK and US are still pretty good compared to a lot of nasty stuff in history.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 11:57 am

klanka wrote:
Things for us in the UK and US are still pretty good compared to a lot of nasty stuff in history.

Sure but I don't live in history, so I am more concerned with the awful things going on currently. Also, women suffering severe medical complications due to not being able to access an abortion was rather unheard of, now it's all over the news. What's next forcing rape victims to marry the rapist in the name of 'saving the children'?

But at least they aren't burning women at the stake for suspicion of witchcraft these days, I suppose there is that.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 12:06 pm

I dont know much about the complications, like i dunno if a caesarian could be used instead of abortion to be just as safe.
I dont believe any law should be absolute. Like the famous case in the U.S. of the drug policy making it a crime for kids to take inhalers to school........................................................................

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2022, 1:14 pm

There is a boundary between me and the world. It's the boundary between that which I can control and that which I cannot. I try to concentrate on what I can change and leave all the rest to the hand of fate. Things have always been a crazy mess. Ever since us humans evolved. Most likely always will be too. I do what I can within my world. When it all feels like too much I stop consuming media.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 3:07 pm

The Covid situation is a lot better now than any time of the last 2 years and 10 months. So, I think you can feel safe now.

I don't know what to say about Russia. There are many evil things happening everywhere any way. So, it's not the worst.

At least unborn babies' lives are protected. They are not lesser human beings just because they are too young to speak for their rights. So I think it's a positive thing.

Overall, things are not as bad as they seem.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 1:22 am

klanka wrote:
I dont know much about the complications, like i dunno if a caesarian could be used instead of abortion to be just as safe.
I dont believe any law should be absolute. Like the famous case in the U.S. of the drug policy making it a crime for kids to take inhalers to school........................................................................

A caesarian also carries a lot of risks. Granted my mom got multiple like I know for sure I was birthed that way, it was an emergency caesarian cause she felt something was wrong...and yeah I somehow got the embelical cord around my neck and was basically getting strangled by it so if it wasn't for the emergency caeesarian birth I probably would not have made it.

But I think my mom was lucky to have 4 caesarian births without getting a lot of complications. And idk for all I know she could have gotten complications from that or health risks but she hasn't specifically talked about that. But she really wanted to be a mom to...so could be a bit of mind over matter. For me I just don't even have any desire to be a parent at all.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 1:39 am

temp1234 wrote:
The Covid situation is a lot better now than any time of the last 2 years and 10 months. So, I think you can feel safe now.

I don't know what to say about Russia. There are many evil things happening everywhere any way. So, it's not the worst.

At least unborn babies' lives are protected. They are not lesser human beings just because they are too young to speak for their rights. So I think it's a positive thing.

Overall, things are not as bad as they seem.

On the covid I feel pretty ok, I have gotten all the vaccinees so far, and am planning on getting the next booster shot soon. So I am ok with covid for now, like I am taking the precautions against it so honestly I feel at least ok about covid knowing I am doing my best to take precautions.

It is more the abortion thing that disturbs me. Also I do not agree that at least unborn babies are protected...a lot of women are being forced to keep non-viable or even dead fetuses inside them till they litterally start dying before they can get it removed. This means would be mothers who face health effecting complications from not getting an abortion on time could ruin their utereus so they cannot try again for their own children ever again.

Then of course there is the issue of forcing childbirth on child-free people, I am part of the child-free group. But still I am more worried for women who want children. Like went to my sisters wedding recently and turns out her and her now husband want to conceive and have a kid. Even though I don't want kids I fully respect my sister wanting to...but the issue for her is because of abortion bans she is having a hard time finding an appointment to get her IUD removed so she can have a baby. Why? well because a ton of out of state people need services here in Colorado to so waiting lists and what not. But like that also means what if her pregnancy goes wrong...? will she be able to get appropriate care on time or will she be doomed to death if it goes wrong...I mean that is my sister I don't want her to die due to archaic laws.

How is it pro-life to force would be mothers to destroy their uterus so not only can they not give birth to the non-viable fetus, they will never be able to attempt giving birth again even if they wanted a baby and the pregnancy went wrong...because the archaic laws forced them to keep the dead fetus inside long enoug for other complications like an infection in the uterus to occur. The last thing we need is religious fanatics who don't believe in science running our country it is a threat to everyone.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 4:53 am

My apologies. I realize I didn't have enough understanding of the issue. I was only thinking of the cases where both the mother and the unborn baby are healthy but it is simply unwanted. If the unborn baby has no chance of surviving, or the pregnancy is causing any life-threatening condition to the mother, then she shouldn't be forced to keep the fetus inside. If the law supports some dogmatic religious ideas rather than the life of a human being, then something's wrong with the law. I can understand your sister's fear and your frustration with the bad law.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 5:05 am

temp1234 wrote:
My apologies. I realize I didn't have enough understanding of the issue. I was only thinking of the cases where both the mother and the unborn baby are healthy but it is simply unwanted. If the unborn baby has no chance of surviving, or the pregnancy is causing any life-threatening condition to the mother, then she shouldn't be forced to keep the fetus inside. If the law supports some dogmatic religious ideas rather than the life of a human being, then something's wrong with the law. I can understand your sister's fear and your frustration with the bad law.

Well yeah it is those law I take issue with, like before over-turning roe vs wade there where people who didn't agree with abortion and where free to not have them, the problem was trying to force it on everyone else. But yeah most abortions for unwanted pregnancy happen before there is even a fetus to speak of, like the tissue has not developed into that yet. It is mostlly women who want to have babies that end up having to have later term abortions due to complications and the archaic bans of like 6 weeks and what not mostly harm pregnant women who want to have a baby but end up with life threatening complications in their pregnancy where unfortunately abortion ends up being the best medical treatment for them.

Basically, these gross laws, mostly harm would be mothers...you know the people that want to birth the next generation. Like already due to people coming from out of state for treatment my sister who wants a kid was having trouble booking an appointment to get her iud removed so like pro life laws are actually preventing people who want kids from having them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 6:07 am

There is some brightness though, I may become the elden ring err I mean elden lord, what can I say Elden Ring is fun probably the best current video game. So I have been finding myself able to distract myself by playing a fun mage in Elden Ring....And I gave her the looks of the wicked witch from Wizard of Oz cause green skin is fun. So no it is not just beer and weed also elden ring. It is fun to play and I better get a playthrough done before nuclear war, water wars or mad max times set in I suppose.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 7:42 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Covid was terrible(it's still going on), then the nuclear threats of russia and then overturning roe vs wade. Like what the f*** is this nightmare jesus f*****g christ, sometimes it feels so crazy and insane I feel like I should be waking up, but no the crazy sh*t is actually reality and not just a nightmare. How to keep ones sanity IDK I am doing my best to keep mine, but it does involve quite a bit of weed and beers to not go batshit crazy. I thought 22 could be a good year, but at that point I didn't know we were going to lose bodily autonomy this year.'

I used to watch twilight zone every new years, but f**k now I am in one...

I think at this point, nuclear war is unlikely. Putin can't even adequately arm his own conscripts, and people are fleeing Russia to avoid the draft.

As for abortion, a lot depends on what happens during the midterms. I think the best solution is a national referendum for codification, like the one that passed in Kansas. Also, it needs to be a standalone amendment, rather than something that relies on interpretation of other amendments.

I do wonder, however, why abortions that are needed to save the woman's life aren't performed in ERs.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 12:51 pm

Yeah i can see those complications you're talking about should be put into the law.
So then the abortion law is not 'no tolerance' like the failed 'no tolerance' drug laws.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 9:30 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also, women suffering severe medical complications due to not being able to access an abortion was rather unheard of, now it's all over the news.

I would suggest that you do what you can to educate people on the abortion issue, as you did in this very thread.