Do you ever get frustrated with others on the spectrum?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2023, 8:27 pm

I know it's probably wrong to get frustrated with others on the spectrum. We should probably be more understanding. But sometimes I can't help myself.

Case in point, this woman who works in my condo building. I don't know for a fact she's on the spectrum. However, she exhibits a lot of qualities.

Any time I run into her, she'll suck me into long discussions I have no interest in. She doesn't take hints. And once you get sucked in, there's no escape. She'll talk at you (not with you; at you) a mile a minute. You don't even have a chance to get a word in.

I've seen her do the same to other residents too.

I know everyone's autism spectrum disorder affects them differently, but her behavior is something I know better than to do.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2023, 9:24 pm

Sure, people are frustrating AS or NT.

I am a person who does not find America’s home videos funny. Yes, I feel sorry for the people. Sometimes I feel sorry for them because I am sorry they are stupid. But really, I only watch a snippet here or there if somebody shows me. I don’t know why I would want to watch people getting hurt.

I like it here because I can just say things and not worry about if someone will take it wrong because if someone takes it wrong, they will tell me. And then I get a chance to clarify. But so far communication here is much easier than communication in my physical realm.

I get frustrated with some of the autistic teenager I teach sometimes, but I get frustrated with pretty much all my teenagers sometimes. It is easier to talk to the autistic ones. Like I had a girl who said something very rude. With an NT teenager there is all this trying to figure out intent etc, but with this kid, I just said “(kid) that was rude.” And she said “it was? Why?” And I explained and she said “oh. I’m sorry.” And then to the person she was rude to “I’m sorry I said that. I didn’t want to be rude.” And we all moved on.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 10:01 pm

My ASD daughter frustrates me when she deliberately does not listen. Terrible teens.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 5:25 am

sure, its a communication thing, all people frustrate me because I struggle so to understand almost anything in "real time" My most common self question is "what do they mean by that" and by the time I figure out the context, etc, they are already far on to something else. I'm hopeless, its not "just them". Its a social/ people thing. Best wishes

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 6:19 pm

I get frustrated with myself sometimes and at other times I project that frustration onto other people, but not sure if it makes any difference whether or not they're on the spectrum. Probably is the case that I get more frustrated because I am on it though.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 6:48 pm

Misunderstandings are a two-way street.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 10:41 pm

This would annoy me to no end. I would tell her I don't want to talk or listen whenever she starts to yap at me or just ignore her and keep on walking.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 8:46 pm

Extreme football supporters that are NTs be like "I support team A, f**k you all team B supporters, I hate team B!"

Extreme football supporters that are Aspies be like "I support both teams really, they're both equal, and supporting one team while hating the other may hurt their feelings".

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 9:38 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Extreme football supporters that are NTs be like "I support team A, f**k you all team B supporters, I hate team B!"

Extreme football supporters that are Aspies be like "I support both teams really, they're both equal, and supporting one team while hating the other may hurt their feelings".

im not like that
i dont really care about people only the people i love but even thats very few

im happy this way

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 2:11 am

yes.
because they're frustrating.
at the same time, i realise just how frustrating i myself can be.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 2:13 am

Raleigh wrote:
yes.

It's so frustrating when you say what I want to say.
You .... You .... Frustrater, You!!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 2:14 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
yes.

It's so frustrating when you say what I want to say.
You .... You .... Frustrater, You!!

how about when i don't use any capitals?
eh..
eh?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 2:16 am

let's go with the ellipses ...................... and the taablet keyimboard after some brandyy . ...