I think caffeine is affecting me negatively

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2023, 7:31 pm

I drink so much coffee. I started making it more when I felt kind of sluggish or unmotivated. But now I just drink it a lot. I don't really think it's good because I drink it whenever it's offered even when I've already had some. Also it kind of helps me have energy for social events.

However even if it helps it seems to have negative effects. I get an uncomfortable amount of energy sometimes. Like I can't sleep because I had coffee hours before. Also I keep having crashes in my mood that last a short time. I think that's when it wears off. I like coffee though. I kind of like caffeine. I just don't know if it's something I should consume often. It just really helps me have energy. I just feel embarrassed about not having motivation a lot. I don't like when people think I'm lazy. I want to get stuff done. Coffee helps with that but now I'm feeling like it's affecting me. I was told it's not good for my mental health and I didn't realize how it could be. It gives me energy to socialize and express myself more over text but also causes a paralyzing feeling like I'm glued to the sofa

Are there other ways to feel more energy to socialize? That's mainly why I drink coffee.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2023, 11:19 pm

I am hypersensitive to caffeine.
It heightens the entire emotional spectrum in me to the point that it is emotionally/psychologically damaging to me.
Physically, it can cause gastric reflux, heart palpitations, and of course, insomnia.

Yes, I too have a lack of energy when I don't ingest caffeine.
That is why I try to limit its use:
If I need to do maintenance around the house, for example.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 11:22 am

hey sweetie

try decaf x

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 11:25 am

hey sweetie

try decaf x

Karmita
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Mar 2023, 5:49 am

Coffee affects different people differently. I am just drinking my first coffee of the day. I aim to drink 3 coffees only in a day. It seems to stimulate me, and reduce my depression. One coffee a day is thought to protect brain function. I have had to stop drinking coffee when I am out, since it stimulates me too much. So I drink chamomile tea, peppermint tea, mint tea, and in other places I take a variety of non-stimulating tea bags in sachets, such as ginger, chamomile and so on. One day over Christmas and New Year, I drank peppermint tea with my breakfast, but felt so slowed down and depressed that I went to a coffee shop and drank a double expresso, which slowly livened me up. Maybe finding a way to limit coffee consumption and listen to your body can reduce the negative effects. If your body doesn,t like it at all then ginger tea, or ginger and lemon tea may be a refreshing alternative.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 5:59 am

My experience is that caffeine affects my mood quite strongly. I've had long periods, up to a year, when I've not had any at all and I know for a fact that when I don't, my mood is more stable and I have no less energy than when I'm drinking coffee.

Usually what happens though is I hit a rough patch or get ill and need to work and I start having it again to get through the patch and before you know it I'm hooked again.

I'm on about 2 cups of coffee a day at the moment which I know is small potatoes compared to a lot of people but I still know I'm better without it.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 7:29 am

using decaf helped my anxiety levels a lot! in some of the brands, you can't even tell by the taste that its decaf! Try it and see if it helps!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson