Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 2:59 am

The whole debt ceiling default scenario has me on edge lately. I live on SSDI paid into by my parents. A portion of my monthly income is taken out of my bank account to help pay for mortgage and utilities. My parents joke that it's my rent money. I stay home and watch over the house and the pets while everyone is at work. I'm worried that when the debt defaults, my SSDI payments will either be delayed indefinitely or stop coming altogether. With no monthly income, I'll be forced to listen to my father complain that I should "get a jobby job".

Reasons I can't get a job:
1. I don't know how to drive. I worry I might get distracted due to my short attention span and get into an accident. Does anyone in my family really want to waste extra gas taking me to and from my place of work every day? Who's gonna let the dogs out if I'm at work?
2. I don't work well with people. Working with people my age or younger makes me very nervous. What if they find out about my Misophonia? Will they find it hilarious and make fun of me until I shut down and isolate myself and then the boss gets mad at me?
3. I have nothing to put on a resume and I don't know anything about answering a job interview.
4. I'm unhirable, easily firable, and a liability in the workplace.

It'll be depressing to see an empty bank account month after month.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 3:19 am

.I mean could you get like an electric scooter or bike to help transportation and also look for jobs that way? Like go out to the main part of town see if you see any help wanted signs and apply? I mean I do have a job currently but am kind of looking to switch and I use an electric scooter to get around...it can go for 28 miles and top speed is 20 mpr, but yeah I go slower when there are pedestrians and kids on the trail just to make sure I can stop if they dart out in front of me. But I do feel more confident having a helmet, took me a while to find one that fits good but I did find one with a cute strawberry pattern on it that fits so yeah I am using that now.

But idk you don't need a licence for an electric bike or scooter you can just use them on normal bike trails, just have to bee aware of pedestrians. Some places may have signs that such things are not allowed on trails, but its a sign not a cop...And a lot of times it is safer to take the trails than main road.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 4:28 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
The whole debt ceiling default scenario has me on edge lately. I live on SSDI paid into by my parents. A portion of my monthly income is taken out of my bank account to help pay for mortgage and utilities. My parents joke that it's my rent money. I stay home and watch over the house and the pets while everyone is at work. I'm worried that when the debt defaults, my SSDI payments will either be delayed indefinitely or stop coming altogether. With no monthly income, I'll be forced to listen to my father complain that I should "get a jobby job".

1. I don't know how to drive. I worry I might get distracted due to my short attention span and get into an accident. Does anyone in my family really want to waste extra gas taking me to and from my place of work every day? Who's gonna let the dogs out if I'm at work?
2. I don't work well with people. Working with people my age or younger makes me very nervous. What if they find out about my Misophonia? Will they find it hilarious and make fun of me until I shut down and isolate myself and then the boss gets mad at me?
3. I have nothing to put on a resume and I don't know anything about answering a job interview.

1. Unless you're a professional driver, knowing how to drive isn't a requirement for work. Many people walk, cycle, or take public transit all over world. Others now work from home from computers and phones and have no commute at all.

2. I had to look up what misophonia is. So choose a job where you work with older people. Or a job environment with people that understand and accommodate disabilities. Or a job with few/no people to work with.

3. First time for everything! No one has work experience until they do, whether paid or volunteer. You could do volunteer work to test the waters on different tasks/roles/environments and have something to put on a resume.

4. Perhaps, so I guess it's a good thing that there are so many jobs available for almost anyone willing to work that if you lose one you can get another. Plenty of simple jobs out there cleaning, stocking shelves, factory work, packaging, shipping, building, demolition, general labour, shop helper etc etc etc etc etc that people can do for as long as it works out, and then skip over to something else if something doesn't work out.

Just saying.. you Could do some work of some kind, especially if you're determined to in order to have a backup plan for an income source in case your gov't subsidy payments were to cease. Less stressful to come up with some ideas and a plan vs. just stress out and let things happen to you.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 11:02 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:

Why not work around your neighborhood for money? You can walk dogs, mow lawns, clean yards or clean something else. I used work around the house for money when I lived with my mom. I don’t work, I tried working, I worked in a disabled workshop in the early 90s, I wasn’t a very good employee, I had a very hard time getting up early, I started work late, my short term memory wasn’t bad back then, I stuffed envelopes, worked with nuts & bolts, I liked punching in a time card. I had job interviews, no one were hire me. Then I realized I can’t do a job, two things will happen 1. I would quit 2. I would get fired.