Does this seem cold hearted?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

27 Sep 2008, 2:30 am

I found out my cat had died and she had been dead since this summer. I never knew about it because no one had never told me but when I think about it, I think my mother did tell me but I forgot all about it because it was tragic.

I couldn't stop thinking about her passing away at work because my dad had told me during my break. I called him and asked how my cat is doing and he said "Oh she died."

That evening I call him back to ask when did she die hoping he asked my mother because I wanted to know the date and she said it was around the time my brother was in a car accident, so that be around July 14th she died. He said "It's just a cat," when I said I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Just a cat? Just a cat? That sounds so cold hearted and insensitive. I was offended by that remark. But then I felt better when he said he will buy me a new cat as a welcome warming gift when they get me a house. I told him I wanted a Calico.

If someone's pet died, I would never tell them "It's just a (insert animal here)."

Damn why do people need to be so insensitive when a pet dies.

When my boyfriend had to have his Rottweiler put to sleep, his parents didn't tell him "It was just a dog" because they knew how much she meant to him.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 2:37 am

it does seem cruel. maybe you can talk yo him about it?

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 4:07 am

Well, I'm an australian who likes blue heelers. Never just a pet. Legendary dogs, those.

Nachtus01
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2008, 7:32 am

Some people just don't bond to animals like other people do. I don't know if they don't want to, or just cant. So to them any pet is, "just an animal". In his own way, I think he was trying to cause you to feel less pain by trivializing it. It may not make sense to me, or you, or any other animal lover for that fact, but to him it does. I really don't believe he meant to demean your feelings about it. but that's my opinion. You know your dad better than I. Sorry bout you losing your cat, btw. :(

http://asirony.blogspot.com/

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 10:57 pm

My cat means a great deal to me. My family knows it. I think that would be major if I were on a trip and something happened to her. Most people don't bond with animals. Some of us do. I wouldn't be angry at your family. I don't blame you for missing your cat. I'm sorry to hear she died.

Beentheredonethat