Anyone Else Interested in Railway Crossings?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 10:17 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Still not interested in railroad crossings.

But...um...it looked to me like (a) Canada and U.S. were very similar, and (b) the other countries were only different in the light mounting and the artistic style of the gates--but they had lights and gates.

Do any two countries have gates and lights so dissimilar that I would get confused by them?

Wow! Even I'm not sure how to answer that one, you got me there!

Can anyone out there help me with this one?!

Last edited by TimmyTurnerFan1 on 14 Oct 2020, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 11:41 pm

Jetso wrote:
TimmyTurnerFan1 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
You may find this post interesting on another site that I am on which has come up recently.

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=52186

Thanks. I read some of it and learned a little more, including when yellow lights were introduced. Kind if reminds me of Germany too. The older German signals had just red lights that would blink although East Germany had different signals than West Germany. The East German signals had the light in the center of the crossbuck (the X-shaped sign) while the West German ones usually had lights above the crossbuck and surrounded by a black square background with a white border around the black and a red border around the white.

Now newer German signals have a red and a yellow light, neither of which flash but light steady. They're like traffic signals minus the green light! I do like those and the old West German signals, I don't like the East German signals all that much! :tongue: I do wish they did double-red flashing lights and put lights on their gate arms themselves like we do!

We don't have yellow lights on our crossing signals in the U.S., although I do wonder if we should! But some of our Railroad Crossing Ahead signs, the round yellow sign with the black RXR (we use those instead of signs displaying a train symbol or gate symbol and regardless of whether the crossing is gated or not) have flashing yellow lights. They're hard to find though! Otherwise the lights at the crossings are completely red, and I'm just fine with that!

How about having traffic lights at railroad crossings like those at road intersections? How would that be? I think some railroad crossings have traffic lights.

I think that depends on what you mean by the traffic signals, and I only have two ideas

-1. Traffic lights used at crossings and as the warning devices themselves
-2. Traffic signals at intersections near railroad crossings

We do have some railroad crossings protected by traffic signals instead of or in addition to regular crossing signals, be it a regular crossing such as this one in Gouvernuer, New York, USA https://www.google.com/maps/@44.321385, ... 312!8i6656

Or traffic signals that protect railroad tracks running down a street/ street-running tracks (which I don't like at all!) This one is in Michigan City, Indiana, USA https://www.google.com/maps/@41.711565, ... 384!8i8192

This Street-Running crossing in Beaverton, Oregon, USA has traffic signals and traditional railroad crossing signals (this one also has gates) https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4889816 ... 384!8i8192 The overhead signals at this crossing are unusual and weird! Check out this intersection too https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4896055 ... 384!8i8192 And this one https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4880871 ... 312!8i6656

Now about the traffic signals that are at intersections near railroad crossings.

Not every intersection does this but there are some intersections that have the traffic signals flash red in all three or four directions or red and yellow (red for traffic crossing the tracks) whenever a train is passing through. Usually the railroad crossing signals activate first and the gates if present go down. After the gates are down, the traffic signals near the intersection stop their usual work and flash red or yellow, or as mentioned, all-red. Some railroad crossings here in Tucson function like that, like this one on Valencia Road and Nogales Highway https://www.google.com/maps/@32.1341409 ... 312!8i6656. Well, last time I saw which was back in 2008 the lights flashed red in all four directions, plus there were these lighted NO LEFT TURN signs for south-bound Nogales Highway that lit up when the crossing was activated.

I do find it fascinating when the traffic signals near the railroad crossings flash and I did artwork of something like that:

Same crossing and intersection but with the crossing gates off and the traffic signals functioning like normal (keep watching and you'll see the lights turn from red to green, then to yellow and back to red and it will repeat) :

I plan to make more like that, traffic signals near railroad crossings and they're flashing while the signals flash!

For more on traffic signals functioning near railroad crossings (Traffic Signal Preemption) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_cro ... preemption But if I was in charge, I'd have traffic signals flash all red or red/yellow at intersections next to railroad crossings, it's more entertaining that way! Or I suppose I could have the crossing lights activate, then have the light change to red for traffic paralleling the tracks and turn the lights green only for traffic crossing immediately after the tracks, (I'd also have a prior traffic signal before the crossing to keep traffic from crossing) and after sufficient time passes I'll change the light back to red. Then when the train comes, I'll have the traffic signals flash. But then what would I do if I had a Four-Quadrant Gate/Full-Barrier with Half-Barricades crossing, one where the exit gates go down a few seconds after the entry-way gates? I need to rethink this one!

Maybe before the crossing gates even activate, the traffic signals should change so that it's solid red in all directions (and right before the railroad tracks) except for traffic at the intersection immediately after the tracks and the lights facing that will be green, giving everyone time to clear the tracks and the intersection, especially long vehicles. And then have the crossing gates activate, during which the green lights will turn red again. And after all the gates are down, the traffic signals will flash! I want to make sure all the vehicles are off the tracks and the tracks are cleared before having the exit gates go down.

For more on Four-Quadrant gate crossings https://trains-and-locomotives.fandom.c ... rant_Gates, including photos from different countries.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 12:30 am

Cool stuff here.
My interest in railway crossings is when they are part of a larger whole on real life or model railways.
Trainz railroad simulator computer program has railway crossings of several styles and time periods from several countries; some are provided with the game and a lot more come from content creators.

Without knowing whether it would be of interest to y'all; here are a couple full time webcams which include active railway crossings.

One at a small Amtrak station in Missouri about 2 hours from where I live,
https://youtu.be/AAQUGsUzWbE

And a fairly complex road configuration around a 2-track crossing in Ashland Virginia, also near a small Amtrak station.
https://youtu.be/TSazQn9xn4M

At least one or two other locations the channel provides have fixed horns which blow for the crossing instead of the train blowing its horn.

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2020, 5:43 am

Quote:
I think that depends on what you mean by the traffic signals, and I only have two ideas

-1. Traffic lights used at crossings and as the warning devices themselves
-2. Traffic signals at intersections near railroad crossings

We do have some railroad crossings protected by traffic signals instead of or in addition to regular crossing signals, be it a regular crossing such as this one in Gouvernuer, New York, USA https://www.google.com/maps/@44.321385, ... 312!8i6656

Or traffic signals that protect railroad tracks running down a street/ street-running tracks (which I don't like at all!) This one is in Michigan City, Indiana, USA https://www.google.com/maps/@41.711565, ... 384!8i8192

This Street-Running crossing in Beaverton, Oregon, USA has traffic signals and traditional railroad crossing signals (this one also has gates) https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4889816 ... 384!8i8192 The overhead signals at this crossing are unusual and weird! Check out this intersection too https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4896055 ... 384!8i8192 And this one https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4880871 ... 312!8i6656

Now about the traffic signals that are at intersections near railroad crossings.

Not every intersection does this but there are some intersections that have the traffic signals flash red in all three or four directions or red and yellow (red for traffic crossing the tracks) whenever a train is passing through. Usually the railroad crossing signals activate first and the gates if present go down. After the gates are down, the traffic signals near the intersection stop their usual work and flash red or yellow, or as mentioned, all-red. Some railroad crossings here in Tucson function like that, like this one on Valencia Road and Nogales Highway https://www.google.com/maps/@32.1341409 ... 312!8i6656. Well, last time I saw which was back in 2008 the lights flashed red in all four directions, plus there were these lighted NO LEFT TURN signs for south-bound Nogales Highway that lit up when the crossing was activated.

I do find it fascinating when the traffic signals near the railroad crossings flash and I did artwork of something like that:

Same crossing and intersection but with the crossing gates off and the traffic signals functioning like normal (keep watching and you'll see the lights turn from red to green, then to yellow and back to red and it will repeat) :

I plan to make more like that, traffic signals near railroad crossings and they're flashing while the signals flash!

For more on traffic signals functioning near railroad crossings (Traffic Signal Preemption) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_cro ... preemption But if I was in charge, I'd have traffic signals flash all red or red/yellow at intersections next to railroad crossings, it's more entertaining that way! Or I suppose I could have the crossing lights activate, then have the light change to red for traffic paralleling the tracks and turn the lights green only for traffic crossing immediately after the tracks, (I'd also have a prior traffic signal before the crossing to keep traffic from crossing) and after sufficient time passes I'll change the light back to red. Then when the train comes, I'll have the traffic signals flash. But then what would I do if I had a Four-Quadrant Gate/Full-Barrier with Half-Barricades crossing, one where the exit gates go down a few seconds after the entry-way gates? I need to rethink this one!

Maybe before the crossing gates even activate, the traffic signals should change so that it's solid red in all directions (and right before the railroad tracks) except for traffic at the intersection immediately after the tracks and the lights facing that will be green, giving everyone time to clear the tracks and the intersection, especially long vehicles. And then have the crossing gates activate, during which the green lights will turn red again. And after all the gates are down, the traffic signals will flash! I want to make sure all the vehicles are off the tracks and the tracks are cleared before having the exit gates go down.

For more on Four-Quadrant gate crossings https://trains-and-locomotives.fandom.c ... rant_Gates, including photos from different countries.

Yes, street-running tracks are dangerous both for drivers and for pedestrians.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 8:18 am

Jetso wrote:
Yes, street-running tracks are dangerous both for drivers and for pedestrians.

I see lots of people driving around our farm burg with a cigarette in one hand and a phone in the other, if they are smart enough to handle that then they are smart enough to handle trains on tracks in the street with no problem or danger.

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2020, 9:30 am

TimmyTurnerFan1 wrote:
Jetso wrote:
I like trains. I don't mind waiting for one. A lot of people are annoyed by it when there is a train coming at the crossing, but I like it when there is a train coming.

I don't mind either! In fact I would hate that I would go a day without seeing a railroad crossing in action or not being there when a train was crossing a crossing, especially a gated crossing, and especially when seeing railroad crossings was a rare opportunity for me! I would hate arriving too early or too late!

I also got upset when there was a train crossing but my stepfather refused to wait and would find another way across the tracks.

Imagine being upset for not watching a train go by, not to mention not being able to see the warning devices while they're in action! That was me, and can still be me! Most people would get upset about having to wait for a train, but some of us if not just me, are the opposite! And I'm sorry but I hate being deprived of railroad crossings! I know I can live without them and I know I can just watch them on video and I have toy railroad crossing signals, mostly HO scale, that actually light up, but still I want the real thing and in person, even if for just a few seconds, although the longer the better (sometimes it can get too long even for me!)

If there's a cure for love of railroad crossings, I don't want it! Same with the cure for autism!

So I think you and I are riding in the same boat, or rather train! :colors: :lol:

Something I would find annoying however is having to wait for a train that slows and stops before it gets passed the crossing. This happened to me once.

Also I wouldn't like having to wait at malfunction gates that are down with no approaching train. You're not supposed to drive around lowered gates even if there is a malfunction and no train is approaching. You are supposed to report the malfunctioning gates.

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2020, 9:37 am

Something I have read about railroad crossings is that vehicles that are required to stop at them always have to stop if there is a crossbuck up, even if the tracks are no longer there. As silly as that may be.

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2020, 9:46 am

Always had a fascination with all things Trains. Love the associated sounds that many are disturbing. Railroad crossings hold a special place of interest part of which is what occurs when a vehicle gets stranded in the path of an on-coming train. It's akin to looking over the edge of a cliff or the roof of a high structure. Attracted to hazards and danger I guess.

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2020, 7:04 pm

Jetso wrote:
Something I have read about railroad crossings is that vehicles that are required to stop at them always have to stop if there is a crossbuck up, even if the tracks are no longer there. As silly as that may be.

That IS silly! No one should have to stop where there are no tracks or where the tracks are no longer in use, hence the EXEMPT and TRACKS OUT OF SERVICE signs posted at the crossings/former crossings.

I mean I kind of like it when the warning devices remain in place but the problem with that is it confuses drivers and would confuse me too, and would cause unnecessary actions that will delay and inconvenience others!

Although I like waiting for trains, there were a few times even I got impatient, or pretended to be, but there was a time I had to go to the bathroom while waiting for a train. I was 5 at the time and that was the second train I had to wait for that day! I saw the first train at a different crossing and on a different track, both in Gary, Indiana! The second train moved slower and was pushed, not pulled, by locomotives. Thankfully I was able to hold it!

I'm divided on malfunctioning crossings. On the plus side, at least the lights are flashing, but there's more of a down-side to that, it's very inconvenient and causes traffic jams, which I do hate! And the gates are in more danger themselves, while they're usually driven around, some actually get knocked out.

I do agree you shouldn't drive around gates, and I wouldn't unless a railroad worker permitted me to do so, but you shouldn't have to wait at a crossing if nothing is coming! If it were me, I'd either just wait at the crossing and report it or find another way across, I wouldn't feel right driving around a gate even if everyone else did.

Another problem with driving around gates, you could get into a head-on collision with another car that's also doing so and can end up stuck on the tracks and a train could be on the way!

It's more fun to see a crossing in action when there's an actual train than when it is malfunctioning, and less worrisome to me!

Last edited by TimmyTurnerFan1 on 15 Oct 2020, 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2021, 4:41 am

Donald Morton wrote:
Always had a fascination with all things Trains. Love the associated sounds that many are disturbing. Railroad crossings hold a special place of interest part of which is what occurs when a vehicle gets stranded in the path of an on-coming train. It's akin to looking over the edge of a cliff or the roof of a high structure. Attracted to hazards and danger I guess.

I think I see what you mean, I'm guilty of that myself, even with railroads, especially at gated crossings, crossing gates are what have to go harm's way because they're the ones that have to get in the path of vehicles that may or may not stop. Sometimes it's interesting when a crossing gate arm gets broken by an impatient driver but it's also very disturbing, at least to me. Or when gates (and sometimes the rest of the signal) gets knocked out when there's an accident at the crossing, when a train hits a vehicle be it stopped on the tracks or trying to beat the train! Now I don't mind very much gates getting crashed on TV, be it TV shows, movies, live-action and animation, sometimes I do expect that, I even make my own toy crossing gates and crash them, but in real life, it is unacceptable! The only time a gate should be broken is when a vehicle has to get off the tracks!

If you're ever trapped between gates, either evacuate your vehicle or move your vehicle if you have time, even if it means breaking down the gate! Gates can be replaced, YOU CANNOT!

I don't know why but crossing gates are just so important to me! I wonder what it is I see in crossing gates and other lifting barriers? Again, a fascination I've been carrying and harboring since I was a very wee lad, and admittedly hopefully will carry to my grave!

I have some attraction to some hazards and dangers myself too, like tornadoes and fire, especially fire seen while a fire alarm is sounding and the fire alarm lights are flashing (but i will NOT set fire to see that, I'm no arsonist, and I won't pull false fire alarms! I refuse to cause panic or damage property or especially get anyone hurt, even unintentionally!)

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 5:35 pm

I used to be interested in those and trains a bit as a little kid. I've become more interested in trains and cars lately, since I've been more motivated to learn about things. Railroad crossings are kind of scary though and I always worry something bad will happen when I cross one.

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2021, 8:46 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I used to be interested in those and trains a bit as a little kid. I've become more interested in trains and cars lately, since I've been more motivated to learn about things. Railroad crossings are kind of scary though and I always worry something bad will happen when I cross one.

Yeah some railroad crossings scare even me, even if they do have gates or signals.

The railroad crossings that I'm really scares of are the ones down in Mexico, many many of them don't have gates or even lights, just a crossbuck or crossbuck and STOP sign, even on major roads. And even the signalised and gated crossings down there, the few that do exist, get damaged or vandalized and maybe defaced if the track didn't go out of service! I've only seen two or three gated crossings in Cuidad de Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico (South of El Paso, Texas) on Google Street View, and found a few more gated crossings in Mexico City, but signalised and gated crossings in Mexico are very hard to find!

One of the most dangerous crossings in Tucson is on 6th Street and 9th Avenue (they plan to eliminate that one and replace it with an underpass and turn 9th Avenue and neighboring 7th Avenue into multi-use pathway crossings.) There were also Prince Road and Ina Road but they're now overpasses and they're turning Ruthrauff Road into an overpass too, or at least are planning to.

But I am glad to see you're still interested in trains!

I think many people like trains but hate railroad crossings and want railroads without them! And to me trains without crossings are better than no trains at all!