If people only spoke in third person.

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 11:22 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
In the American south they reinvented that with "yawl",

I don't know whether it was originally done to avoid confusion with the sailboat type yawl, but we normally write it as y'all.

https://www.britannica.com/technology/yawl
Quote:
Yawl, two-masted sailboat, usually rigged with one or more jibsails, a mainsail, and a mizzen. In common with the ketch, the forward (main) mast is higher than the mizzenmast, but the mizzenmast of a yawl is placed astern of the rudder post, while that of the ketch is closer amidships. Like most modern pleasure boats, yawls are rigged with fore-and-aft sails (in line with the keel), the most effective rigging in utilizing manpower. The word yawl is sometimes applied to a dinghy and to a light fishing vessel rigged with lugsails.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 5:58 am

I know. A "yawl" is a type of sailboat rig.

While typing that post I just got tired typing "y'all" out with that apostrophe, and just decided on the fly to write it the way it sounds- which is pretty much indistinguishable from how the word for a "sail boat with triangular sails with a normal sized foremast, and a short aft mast" sounds.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 9:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I know. A "yawl" is a type of sailboat rig.

While typing that post I just got tired typing "y'all" out with that apostrophe, and just decided on the fly to write it the way it sounds- which is pretty much indistinguishable from how the word for a "sail boat with triangular sails with a normal sized foremast, and a short aft mast" sounds.

Yup save time on the spelling and typing..........

where ever you go ,there you are

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 10:41 am

Jakki wrote:
Yup save time on the spelling and typing..........

Then why is it Jakki instead of Jaki?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 1:14 pm

this feels like a personal attack on my avatar name . Or. Just me ?

where ever you go ,there you are

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 1:27 pm

Everyone else would think I was bizarre (as if they don't already :lol: ) because I'm agender and would refer to myself as "it" instead of "she" or "they," because that's my weird preference. I don't understand the negative connotations associated with calling someone/something "it," and I'm not male, female, or plural, so it only makes sense to me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 1:48 pm

In English it seems funny. :lol:

In this native, it's just easy. :?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 3:14 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Everyone else would think I was bizarre (as if they don't already :lol: ) because I'm agender and would refer to myself as "it" instead of "she" or "they," because that's my weird preference. I don't understand the negative connotations associated with calling someone/something "it," and I'm not male, female, or plural, so it only makes sense to me.

"It" is used for inanimate objects. Things with no mind, sentience, or feelings. Rocks, bricks, cars, and lower life forms like plants and insects. Even dogs cats and horses are referred to as "he", or "she". So you really not mind being called "it"?

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2020, 4:05 pm

There is an episode of Seinfeld with a guy named Jimmy who always referred to himself in the third person, like “Jimmy likes that idea,” or “Jimmy is angry!” Elaine likes a guy at the gym, asks Jimmy about it, and when Jimmy responds she thinks Jimmy is talking about the other dude, and hilarity ensues.

George decides he kind of likes the third-person thing so he starts saying stuff like “George likes his chicken spicy,” or “George doesn’t know where that is.” But George works for George Steinbrenner, who doesn’t know George is referring to himself, and thinks George is taking about him. Hilarity ensues.

I think it would get quite confusing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 6:51 pm

malavois wrote:
There is an episode of Seinfeld with a guy named Jimmy who always referred to himself in the third person, like “Jimmy likes that idea,” or “Jimmy is angry!” Elaine likes a guy at the gym, asks Jimmy about it, and when Jimmy responds she thinks Jimmy is talking about the other dude, and hilarity ensues.

George decides he kind of likes the third-person thing so he starts saying stuff like “George likes his chicken spicy,” or “George doesn’t know where that is.” But George works for George Steinbrenner, who doesn’t know George is referring to himself, and thinks George is taking about him. Hilarity ensues.

I think it would get quite confusing.

I would think so. During that same Seinfeld era comedians would spoof GOP presidential candidate Kansas Senator Bob Dole by doing him referring to himself in the third person because he would say things "why does Bob Dole wanna be president? Well because...". He said that that was a Kansas thing. Folks in Kansas will do that occasionally.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 8:04 pm

Effecksee is confused, isn't this how the rest of you speak normally?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 8:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

"It" is used for inanimate objects. Things with no mind, sentience, or feelings. Rocks, bricks, cars, and lower life forms like plants and insects. Even dogs cats and horses are referred to as "he", or "she". So you really not mind being called "it"?

If someone doesn't know the sex of a non-human animal, they will often say "it." I guess to me it feels more like a "non-human" designation, and, well, I really don't feel very human, so if I think about it, it really does seem fitting to me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"