Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 11:48 am

Physics, duh:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ca ... ore-people

So ridiculous that literally 75% of trucks don't haul anything more than groceries. What a waste of money/fossil fuels, IMO. I'd LIKE to drive a truck, but I don't have a NEED for a truck and can't justify doubling my fuel expense - heck, in a really heavy driving month I'd end up spending ~$1200+ on gas and that's just nuts.

Pretty crazy that there aren't bumper height laws in Alberta. Pretty sure we have them in BC. There are still lifted trucks, but not nearly as many as in Alberta.

All that said.. in 2-3 years if all goes well my next (and who knows, maybe even last if it lasts forever-ish?) vehicle may be a Cybertruck. BUT, I'll use it for truck things vs. just riding high and endangering people.

Also, we need WAY stricter safety ratings, mass limits, bumper height regulations, and fuel economy standards - ridiculous that North Americans consume multiple times the energy of other people around the world for no good reason. If I were the rest of the world trying to solve the climate crisis, North Americans would be my number one target to make the biggest impact as fast as possible. We're collectively disgustingly wasteful and our excuses are stupid. Status, hauling obese people to McDonald's, asserting dominance over smaller vehicles etc.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 12:19 pm

Here in the Mid-Western corn belt, pickup trucks are the norm. But I would say, most of the people who own them need them for hauling stuff on a regular basis. They're farmers, construction workers, etc. They use them for recreational purposes, like hauling boats for fishing.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 12:28 pm

Here in southern California, nearly every Tacoma, Tundra, and similarly-sized pickup truck is clean, shiny, and is jack up so high that I can see under them into the next lane.  All of the smaller pickups are loaded down with lawn tools and fuel cans.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 12:30 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Physics, duh:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ca ... ore-people

So ridiculous that literally 75% of trucks don't haul anything more than groceries. What a waste of money/fossil fuels, IMO. I'd LIKE to drive a truck, but I don't have a NEED for a truck and can't justify doubling my fuel expense - heck, in a really heavy driving month I'd end up spending ~$1200+ on gas and that's just nuts.

Pretty crazy that there aren't bumper height laws in Alberta. Pretty sure we have them in BC. There are still lifted trucks, but not nearly as many as in Alberta.

All that said.. in 2-3 years if all goes well my next (and who knows, maybe even last if it lasts forever-ish?) vehicle may be a Cybertruck. BUT, I'll use it for truck things vs. just riding high and endangering people.

Also, we need WAY stricter safety ratings, mass limits, bumper height regulations, and fuel economy standards - ridiculous that North Americans consume multiple times the energy of other people around the world for no good reason. If I were the rest of the world trying to solve the climate crisis, North Americans would be my number one target to make the biggest impact as fast as possible. We're collectively disgustingly wasteful and our excuses are stupid. Status, hauling obese people to McDonald's, asserting dominance over smaller vehicles etc.

It's like it is with the guns, the need to overcompensate for having a small package.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 12:30 pm

On the issue of fuel consumption, my friend from Texas told me about someone he knew who had a pickup that was getting well over 30 miles a gallon -- unheard of for such vehicles.

When he took it in for repair, a mechanic noted that the engine was marked with the words, "Not for sale in the U.S." I guess that tells us that they could sell trucks in the U.S. with much lower fuel consumption, but the fossil fuel industry is preventing it.

When I was in Switzerland, my girlfriend's Honda CRV got much better mileage than the one's they sell in the U.S.

I suppose that qualifies as a conspiracy theory. (I'll put my tin foil hat on now.)

Oscar Meyer Lansky

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 12:47 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
On the issue of fuel consumption, my friend from Texas told me about someone he knew who had a pickup that was getting well over 30 miles a gallon -- unheard of for such vehicles.

When he took it in for repair, a mechanic noted that the engine was marked with the words, "Not for sale in the U.S." I guess that tells us that they could sell trucks in the U.S. with much lower fuel consumption, but the fossil fuel industry is preventing it.

When I was in Switzerland, my girlfriend's Honda CRV got much better mileage than the one's they sell in the U.S.

I suppose that qualifies as a conspiracy theory. (I'll put my tin foil hat on now.)

What engine was in each CRV?

When my dad's Ranger was written off we had a Silverado rental truck for a few weeks. It got better fuel economy than his Ranger, but it could turn half the engine off at cruise.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 12:48 pm

When I worked at Honda there were always a dozen or more bro trucks in the parking lot.

Has anyone seen a Carolina squat?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 1:07 pm

/\ I had to look that up.Must be for city folks.Looks stupid.
I don’t see the point in big trucks in the suburbs unless someone needs them for work.
I have a small truck and it gets used to haul stuff.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 1:16 pm

Seen everywhere...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 1:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

What engine was in each CRV?

When my dad's Ranger was written off we had a Silverado rental truck for a few weeks. It got better fuel economy than his Ranger, but it could turn half the engine off at cruise.

My girlfriend's CRV got the better gas mileage.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 2:57 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
When I worked at Honda there were always a dozen or more bro trucks in the parking lot.

Has anyone seen a Carolina squat?

Had to google it. Pretty stupid. Can't possibly be good for sight lines or safety - especially for vehicles in front.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 3:03 pm

The rear end would hang up on a rock or armadillo.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 3:08 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
My girlfriend's CRV got the better gas mileage.

I understood that.

I meant what engine was in her CRV; what engine was in yours?
Were they both 2WD, both AWD/4WD, or were they different in that regard?
Which transmission was in each of them?

A number of engines have been offered in the CRV, if they didn't have the same powerplant I wouldn't expect the same fuel economy; also, 2WD powertrains are more efficient than AWD and 4WD ones due to lower mechanical losses.

Some transmissions get much better fuel economy numbers than others because the gearing lets the engine do more work where it's most efficient. Older automatics were always beat by manuals because the manual gearbox had more gears, nowadays CVTs and autos beat manuals for the same reason.

All of those make a difference and might explain what you experienced.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 30 Jul 2021, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 3:10 pm

Misslizard wrote:

It's imitating trophy trucks, they usually have a somewhat squatted stance to alter how they behave over jumps.
They also have bespoke suspension systems that are designed with that stance in mind, they don't just have half a lift-kit installed like most of the bro trucks that go for that look.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 3:15 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

It's imitating trophy trucks, they usually have a somewhat squatted stance to alter how they behave over jumps.
They also have bespoke suspension systems that are designed with that stance in mind, they don't just have half a lift-kit installed like most of the bro trucks that go for that look.

They should be restricted to imitating them off road, not endangering drivers and passengers of regular cars on public roads.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 3:35 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

They should be restricted to imitating them off road, not endangering drivers and passengers of regular cars on public roads.

I agree. Donut did a video and there's a degree it can be done to that doesn't really impact sightlines (ie they could still see the slammed Miata in front of them even at a much closer distance than would ever be likely in traffic), but when done too far it does make a difference.

The states that have passed laws addressing them usually allow a few inches of lift in the front but not enough to interfere with sightlines.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う