Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 2:44 pm

It's late September and people where I live are starting to decorate for my favorite holiday Halloween. I love handing out candy, watching monster movies, visiting sites reputed to be haunted, the cool fall weather, and everything else that goes with this awesome time of year. :skull:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 3:00 pm

I miss Hallowe'en.  My kids are grown up, I am about to retire, and no one believes the old legends anymore.

In my hometown, a legend has it that on October 31, 1927, a group of 13 miners were killed in a cave-in somewhere along the river.  Supposedly, if you hid yourself along the riverbank on Hallowe'en, the 13 miners would emerge from the ground at midnight (the end of their shift) and try to make their way home, with their headlamps glowing a sickly green and their flesh hanging from their bones.

Of course, it was great fun for us (as kids) to dare each other to sit by the riverbank and wait for the miners to appear.  It was even more fun to dress up as a zombie miner and scare the other kids along the riverbank, too!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 3:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
I miss Hallowe'en.  My kids are grown up, I am about to retire, and no one believes the old legends anymore.

In my hometown, a legend has it that on October 31, 1927, a group of 13 miners were killed in a cave-in somewhere along the river.  Supposedly, if you hid yourself along the riverbank on Hallowe'en, the 13 miners would emerge from the ground at midnight (the end of their shift) and try to make their way home, with their headlamps glowing a sickly green and their flesh hanging from their bones.

Of course, it was great fun for us (as kids) to dare each other to sit by the riverbank and wait for the miners to appear.  It was even more fun to dress up as a zombie miner and scare the other kids along the riverbank, too!

Cool a classic ghost story. You don't have to miss Halloween there is plenty there for adults these days. :skull:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 4:06 pm

Axeman wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Cool a classic ghost story. You don't have to miss Halloween there is plenty there for adults these days. :skull:

That is a cool story. For Halloween I usually treat myself to some candy pumpkins and watch Ghost Adventures in my pajamas. I don’t watch horror movies. Children of the Corn scared the crap out of me.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 4:08 pm

I love Halloween! I like all the decorations that people put out, carving pumpkins, and the weather.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 4:10 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I love Halloween! I like all the decorations that people put out, carving pumpkins, and the weather.

That sums it up for me :skull:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 6:28 pm

No way. Halloween reminds me of children and goths.

I like Easter time. :lol:

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 6:56 pm

Joe90 wrote:
No way. Halloween reminds me of children and goths.

I like Easter time. :lol:

Ironically it originated from a holiday where children were probably sacrificed. :skull:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 8:44 pm

It was the best holiday when I was little.
It wouldn’t be fun now. :(

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 8:53 pm

Fnord wrote:

That sounds like Charles Dickens' short story "The Signal-Man" (1866).

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 3:11 am

I would've liked it more if door to door trick or treating were a practice.
.. It's just not the practice here.

Instead we have picnics in cemeteries. :lol:
The cemeteries itself becomes crowded and rather festive ​at night.

Wearing costumes is acceptable but optional at large.

My only issue is the climate. Likelier chance of rain in later parts of the year.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 4:16 am

Oh yeah...so much so that me and my boyfriend keep the fake bones and skulls on display year around. Its really the only holiday we like so yeah.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 4:45 am

Sounds cool in theory.

But to be honest, even when I was a kid, I got sick of going around door-to-door with a mask. After a while, it got very boring. By the age of 10 I was sick of it. All the candy in the world didn't compensate, too much socializing with random people for me.

I guess it's cool to see some horror films on TV around Halloween. Am I the only one?

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 5:01 am

Edna3362 wrote:

My only issue is the climate. Likelier chance of rain in later parts of the year.

Are you in Mexico? :skull:

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 5:12 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Sounds cool in theory.

But to be honest, even when I was a kid, I got sick of going around door-to-door with a mask. After a while, it got very boring. By the age of 10 I was sick of it. All the candy in the world didn't compensate, too much socializing with random people for me.

I guess it's cool to see some horror films on TV around Halloween. Am I the only one?

It's a children's activity. Imo the last year for it should be 8th grade. :skull:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 6:25 am

Axeman wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

Are you in Mexico? :skull:

Hahahaha :lol: Nope.

But sure, the cultures' influences are quite similar.
... And I'm not from any Latin American country. I'm from Southeast Asia. :twisted: :skull:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.