Blue Jay

23 Sep 2021, 10:48 am

I miss the drugs

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 7:12 pm

Jib wrote:
Halloween used to be great, but I've notice it has been on a decline since 2001 (post-9/11).

I hated when, during the W. Presidency, they changed Daylight Savings Time so it ended after Halloween. Trick-or-treating in the daylight is kind of lame.

And I thought it was funny how they still sold like, safety flashlights and stuff for a while, as if kids needed them anymore.

smudge wrote:
And don't f*cking add people to Facebook and don't talk to them, it's messed up. Did anyone ever used to swap numbers and then not answer their calls?! No. I seriously can't stand it, it does my head in.

Lol, now you've got me picturing it.
Some people do do that with cell phones though...they see who's calling, let it go to voice mail, and just ignore it.
They usually dislike the person, though...it's kind of harder to ghost people that way.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 9:14 pm

Ade C wrote:
I miss the drugs

I think that's the 80s

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 9:16 pm

We had a phase in the late 1990s where blue coke was popular, Weird, I actually liked the taste.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 12:39 pm

The music, listening to cassette tapes.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 1:00 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Jib wrote:
Halloween used to be great, but I've notice it has been on a decline since 2001 (post-9/11).

I hated when, during the W. Presidency, they changed Daylight Savings Time so it ended after Halloween. Trick-or-treating in the daylight is kind of lame.

And I thought it was funny how they still sold like, safety flashlights and stuff for a while, as if kids needed them anymore.

smudge wrote:
And don't f*cking add people to Facebook and don't talk to them, it's messed up. Did anyone ever used to swap numbers and then not answer their calls?! No. I seriously can't stand it, it does my head in.

Lol, now you've got me picturing it.
Some people do do that with cell phones though...they see who's calling, let it go to voice mail, and just ignore it.
They usually dislike the person, though...it's kind of harder to ghost people that way.

I remember swapping numbers with anyone at school specifically in the 90s, we always called each other. In the 00s, yes, more people ignored me. Maybe it had something to do with age. I used to talk on I *think* it was MSN Messenger with the popular girl at school. I don't know why she used to talk to me. She talked to me on Facebook too. Her brother and I used to fancy each other.

I bloody love Halloween.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 1:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
We had a phase in the late 1990s where blue coke was popular, Weird, I actually liked the taste.

I thought you meant the drug. I found blue Coca-Cola when searching. Wasn't cocaine a popular drug in the 80s?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 1:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Without repeating complaints made by boomer rock critics, what exactly is wrong with disco? :chin:

Absolutely nothing

Exactly.

How ARE ya gonna get it if ya really dont wanna dance?

I also miss amateurish unslick music videos like that! :D

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 7:04 pm

smudge wrote:
I used to talk on I *think* it was MSN Messenger with the popular girl at school. I don't know why she used to talk to me. She talked to me on Facebook too. Her brother and I used to fancy each other.

Yeah, I used to IM with friends a lot too, on different platforms (AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN)...then everybody got cell phones and the IMs became fewer and fewer.

I don't even have any of those programs installed anymore. I know AIM and MSN went under (they replaced MSN with Skype).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 11:15 pm

smudge wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I thought you meant the drug. I found blue Coca-Cola when searching. Wasn't cocaine a popular drug in the 80s?

In Australia 1998-99 blue coke was offered in KFC meal deals and I was addicted to the stuff (iit tasted different to normal coke) :lol:

But seriously cocaine was a cultural staple of the 1980s (along with unprotected sex). The iconic height of the cocaine era was seeing the movie Wall Street and the character of "Gordon Gecko" sniffing a line of coke from a glass table.

The GFC, war on drugs and AIDS ended all that in the 1990s

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 5:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
smudge wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

In Australia 1998-99 blue coke was offered in KFC meal deals and I was addicted to the stuff (iit tasted different to normal coke) :lol:

But seriously cocaine was a cultural staple of the 1980s (along with unprotected sex). The iconic height of the cocaine era was seeing the movie Wall Street and the character of "Gordon Gecko" sniffing a line of coke from a glass table.

The GFC, war on drugs and AIDS ended all that in the 1990s

I've noticed a lot of people are kinda disgusted with bright coloured foods. I'm like a kid - I LOVE brightly obviously artificially coloured food, like drinks with the Brilliant Blue colouring. It makes everything coloured with it super fun to eat/drink, lol. I admit I'm very against the crap they put in our food, but I have this side of me that craves the especially bad stuff. Terrible, I know. Blue raspberry and bubblegum are amazing flavours, I think the blue colours just tops them in eating experience.

What did Blue Coke taste like?

What is the GFC?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 5:46 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
smudge wrote:
I used to talk on I *think* it was MSN Messenger with the popular girl at school. I don't know why she used to talk to me. She talked to me on Facebook too. Her brother and I used to fancy each other.

Yeah, I used to IM with friends a lot too, on different platforms (AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN)...then everybody got cell phones and the IMs became fewer and fewer.

I don't even have any of those programs installed anymore. I know AIM and MSN went under (they replaced MSN with Skype).

Gosh, I forgot all about ICQ (I seek you) and Yahoo! Messenger. I remember speaking to Alex Plank on AIM when I was about 14, he used to/still does play the clarinet.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 6:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
Ade C wrote:
I miss the drugs

I think that's the 80s

Well I mean to be totally real, drugs are any era of humans...people have been doing drugs since the cave times.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 7:15 am

smudge wrote:
Gosh, I forgot all about ICQ (I seek you) and Yahoo! Messenger. I remember speaking to Alex Plank on AIM when I was about 14, he used to/still does play the clarinet.

AIM was first, since it came built-into AOL, but I liked ICQ a lot better, especially since it had offline messages and chat logs.

I only used YIM because I had a small handful of friends who didn't use anything else. There were so many spam bots on that thing...and one guy who was trying to invite me to have a threesome with him and his wife =(

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

25 Sep 2021, 7:48 am

Ade C wrote:
I miss the drugs

Funnily enough, I was going to post that one of the things I miss about that decade was that people weren't quite as censorious about drinking / smoking / recreational drug use in those days. That's not to say I don't acknowledge the dangers associated with doing those things to excess (or, in the case of tobacco, even in moderation) - but I fear the current generation is heading too far in the opposite direction towards neo-Puritanism, which is something my hedonistic personality just can't get on board with.

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2021, 7:12 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Ade C wrote:
I miss the drugs

I think that's the 80s

Well I mean to be totally real, drugs are any era of humans...people have been doing drugs since the cave times.

I'm old, but I'm not THAT old