Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:53 pm

Works for me! :D

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 9:12 am

And if "your in-laws are coming over and they always steal your dirt" he has a use for power windows:

P.S. My bride and I (and my Dad) enjoy the .Red..Green. show! It is fun!

Zorba
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Sep 2021, 7:49 pm

Cute and fun video - but power windows are stupid. Like most other things on modern cars - an answer to a question nobody was asking.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:57 pm

Zorba wrote:
Cute and fun video - but power windows are stupid. Like most other things on modern cars - an answer to a question nobody was asking.

I'd argue the fact that they've become almost universally adopted is a good sign that someone was asking and also that most car buyers prefer that answer. :wink:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Zorba
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Sep 2021, 8:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Zorba wrote:

I'd argue the fact that they've become almost universally adopted is a good sign that someone was asking and also that most car buyers prefer that answer. :wink:

Which is complete groupthink and a symptom of our effete, luxury loving society.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 3:23 am

My car is so old that it has the old style crank up and down windows. It would take me a while to get used to power windows I reckon.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 4:10 pm

I find the power windows convenient in that I can open and close the front windows more easily while the car is in motion. The driver's side window I do not even have to keep my finger on the button the whole time it is going up and down--if it is closed a quick press of the button tells it it to open (or, if it is open, tells it to close) and I do not have to keep my finger on the button while the window finishes opening or closing.

On the other hand, I am concerned about what happens if the car loses power in some kind of accident. For that contingency I bought a window-breaking tool that clips to my seat-belt shoulder strap.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 4:55 pm

Zorba wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Zorba wrote:

Which is complete groupthink and a symptom of our effete, luxury loving society.

Lol groupthink. It's just a preference and being judgmental because you have different priorities is just silly. Not every preference that's widely held is based on groupthink.

Personally my preference is for whatever weighs the least. Considering power windows are included on some factory trackday specials these days and that at least one manufacturer has commented that they weigh less, I no longer have the same fixation on no power windows that I had when I was young.

It's also nice to be able to drop the rear, passenger side window from the driver's seat so I can get a nice cross-breeze. It's one thing I'll miss when I replace my current sedan with a coupe.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Zorba
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Aug 2023, 9:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Zorba wrote:

Not really - we're just not given a choice. Between the greedy CarCos and our Benevolent OverLords mandating all sorts of automotive stupidity, basic cars aren't sold in North America - but thrive everywhere else!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 10:54 pm

Zorba wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Zorba wrote:

Not really - we're just not given a choice. Between the greedy CarCos and our Benevolent OverLords mandating all sorts of automotive stupidity, basic cars aren't sold in North America - but thrive everywhere else!

Ah yes, the big conspiracy to force power windows on an unwilling public. :roll:

Also, I worked in an automotive assembly plant making cars for the US, Canadian and Brazilian markets. Apparently Brazil is part of the no manual windows conspiracy because it wasn't an option on those cars either.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 10:57 pm

People can die if their windows won’t go down (or up) in emergencies so I don’t like them.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 11:09 pm

Zorba wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Zorba wrote:

So which is it - groupthink, or not being given a choice? Cos those are two different things. If that's the only choice given to people, they have to take it whether they like or not - which is not groupthink. But you're claiming it's groupthink, in which case it wouldn't have to be forced upon us, we'd be asking for it.

That aside, I'd wager that people with missing arms or hands, or with shoulder arm or hand injuries, other physical disabilities, people of advanced age or poor physical condition, etc, have reason for liking power windows beyond mere groupthink or nefarious hand-wringing car makers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 11:25 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
People can die if their windows won’t go down (or up) in emergencies so I don’t like them.

f the door gets caved in the mechanism can be damaged regardless of if it's power windows or manual ones.

You can get a tool that will cut belts and break windows.

To reduce risk of ejection during an accident more newer cars are being sold with laminated windows though, and they're a lot harder to bust out.

https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/file ... e-List.pdf

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 7:24 am

My beloved trucklet is small enough for me to reach across from the driver's seat, and roll down the passenger side window (often necessary, due to the AC having been removed).

Darron

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 9:28 am

I got choked by power windows when I was a kid.I had my head out looking at something when the windows rolled up and I couldn’t make a sound.Luckily the driver noticed and rolled them down.
A friend had hers quit when they were all down, just in time for a humongous storm .
You can’t roll power windows down if you drive into deep water, you will need to bust out.
I like my old school roll up windows but I do miss power seats.