Why are pickup truck drivers such pricks?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 5:47 pm

I'll preface this by saying I do know people who drive pickup trucks and are decent human beings, so this definitely doesn't apply to all of them, but a sizable portion of them are road bullies who flip people off even when they're the ones who are 100% in the wrong. Here's hoping a lot of them have really expensive insurance due to receiving one too many speeding tickets. That would be justice in action. :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 6:46 pm

Some are jerks,two big full-size black ones almost ran me off the highway.The passing lane had just ended ,but yet they had to pass, causing me to get on the shoulder to avoid being side-swiped.However I am a polite pickup truck driver.A small truck, maybe the size of the truck is equal to the ego of some.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 7:02 pm

From a personal perspective, one of my bigoted uncles
is a garbage pickup truck driver and he always acts like a prick whenever he visits.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 2:48 am

Misslizard wrote:
Some are jerks,two big full-size black ones almost ran me off the highway.The passing lane had just ended ,but yet they had to pass, causing me to get on the shoulder to avoid being side-swiped.However I am a polite pickup truck driver.A small truck, maybe the size of the truck is equal to the ego of some.
Yikes! That's worse than I have gotten. There are two incidents I have experienced that prompted me to start this discussion, and neither are as bad.

The worse of the two is one when I was on a highway, driving along. I happened to be in the left lane, so I expect drivers on that side to move faster. However, I was going 30 over (10 more than I should have) when the driver of a black pickup truck behind me, who was with his buddy, started flashing his lights at me to go faster. He wouldn't stop, and it was starting to distract me. Moreover, it was some time before I could safely pull into the right lane as the driver next to me was more or less keeping pace with me. I changed lanes when I was able to, but I made a point of flipping the truck driver off (I don't normally do that, but in that case it was warranted). Of course the passenger flipped me back. Nice guys.

Another incident I had more recently was when I was driving a child back to his house (I do respite). I was driving down a semi-residential street (one that connects to various streets with houses anyways, and has turnoffs for some apartments), and going the speed limit. Then, suddenly a driver carrying a load in a pickup truck (that was incidentally also black) sped past me by pulling into the oncoming lane. As he pulled back in front of me, I saw that he stuck his arm out his window so he could flip me off. How do people like that get licenses? :roll:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
is a garbage pickup truck driver and he always acts like a prick whenever he visits.
Oh no. Well, at least he's being a prick off the road at that point. It wouldn't surprise me if he's also a road bully though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 2:54 am

Because half of them are sh*tty trumpers who think coal rolling(the thing when they purposely blast out gross smoke at joggers, walking pedestrians and people on bicycles) is fun.

Idk maybe there should be a movement of liberal and leftist people getting into driving pickup trucks, if enough of us do it maybe there will be less pricky pick up drivers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Oct 2021, 5:24 am

Looks like in USA truck drivers are an equivalent of BMW drivers in Europe... you are always surprised when one drives such a car politely.
Yes, I believe "polite driving" is absolutely a thing.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:57 am

Part of it is the "power position," of being physically above everyone else - you definitely Do feel better driving like that.. and for some they'll be rude/arrogant about it. I just spent a week or so driving a Toyota Tundra - definitely feel more dominant on the road.

Aside: I've read that Dodge Ram drivers are literally The Worst. Most road rage and DUI's as per insurance company stats. So that phenomenon is very real.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:58 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Because half of them are sh*tty trumpers who think coal rolling(the thing when they purposely blast out gross smoke at joggers, walking pedestrians and people on bicycles) is fun.

Idk maybe there should be a movement of liberal and leftist people getting into driving pickup trucks, if enough of us do it maybe there will be less pricky pick up drivers.

Cybertruck can't come soon enough! :D

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 1:45 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Wait, they do that on purpose? Good grief.
magz wrote:
Looks like in USA truck drivers are an equivalent of BMW drivers in Europe... you are always surprised when one drives such a car politely.
Indeed it is. I'm assuming BMW drivers in Europe think they're above everyone else because they can afford a BMW.
goldfish21 wrote:
Part of it is the "power position," of being physically above everyone else - you definitely Do feel better driving like that.. and for some they'll be rude/arrogant about it. I just spent a week or so driving a Toyota Tundra - definitely feel more dominant on the road.

Aside: I've read that Dodge Ram drivers are literally The Worst. Most road rage and DUI's as per insurance company stats. So that phenomenon is very real.
It makes sense that size makes a difference. My mom actually prefers to drive SUVs because they make her feel more powerful than all the small cars around her. She's a road bully too, though not nearly as bad as pickup truck drivers.

I'm pretty sure at least one of the rude drivers I've encountered recently was in a Dodge Ram, if not both of them, so that statistic makes sense to me.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 9:19 am

In rural areas most drive trucks because they actually need them.For farm work, bad roads, hauling stuff, pulling a trailer etc.There may be a difference in urban and suburban areas where people don’t need one unless their work calls for it.If you buy a truck because you’re a macho prick and want a giant ride then you will behave like a giant macho prick.
I drive a truck haha.I’ve never flipped anyone off.
Mostly Chevy and Ford here.For some reason Dodge isn’t that popular
People here try and buy used trucks from cities because they actually have never been used as a truck.The bed won’t have a single chip in the paint.
The bed of my truck is full of bark right now, I hauled a load of firewood it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 1:39 pm

Misslizard wrote:
In rural areas most drive trucks because they actually need them.For farm work, bad roads, hauling stuff, pulling a trailer etc.There may be a difference in urban and suburban areas where people don’t need one unless their work calls for it.If you buy a truck because you’re a macho prick and want a giant ride then you will behave like a giant macho prick.
People here try and buy used trucks from cities because they actually have never been used as a truck.The bed won’t have a single chip in the paint.

I read some stats recently that something like 80% of trucks haven't been used to haul things as a truck in the last year. People buy them instead of honda civics because they make them feel like a big man/they're compensating for small penises etc.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 1:45 pm

Tross wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Oh no. Well, at least he's being a prick off the road at that point. It wouldn't surprise me if he's also a road bully though.

It wouldn't surprise me either. :roll:

He expects me to behave like a prick too.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 2:23 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I read some stats recently that something like 80% of trucks haven't been used to haul things as a truck in the last year. People buy them instead of honda civics because they make them feel like a big man/they're compensating for small penises etc.

I believe it.We bought a used one in Little Rock years back and the owner said he hadn’t hauled anything in it but his briefcase.It was like new.Even the inside was pristine.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 3:32 pm

magz wrote:

I think American Bimmer drivers are the equivalent of European Bimmer drivers. The as*hole stereotype is just as embedded on this side of the Atlantic.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 3:05 pm

The other thing with Dodge Ram drivers is that Dodge tends to loan money to anyone with a heartbeat.. sooo, there are a lot more low credit score Ram drivers than other brands, and since how you do anything is how you do everything, many of those people tend to be just as crappy of drivers as they are at managing their bank balances.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 4:43 am

I figure those driving the oversized jacked up ones are the worst. Looks like trying too hard to be super macho.