Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 8:40 pm

Axeman wrote:
Unless you have Star Trek technology space ships are not a viable Noah's Ark option.

Pretty much.

misha00
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2021, 8:41 pm

Damn I was thinking we had it made.

Nothing is that easy, I guess in this universe

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 11:31 pm

misha00 wrote:
how much money would it cost to create a spaceship with endless supplies of energy/food in 20 years time?

Is it possible that humanity could survive in space if earth became uninhabitable?

Stupid way to ask the question.

(actually the question is several kinds of stupid).

By definition it is impossible to "stock anything with endless infinite amounts" of anything, including food.

A better way to ask would be to say "can we build space ships that are self sustaining", and can grow their own food crops (of algae maybe)?

Its easier to keep the earth habitable than it is to put the whole human race into a space ship.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

30 Nov 2021, 12:33 am

misha00 wrote:
how much money would it cost to create a spaceship with endless supplies of energy/food in 20 years time?

Is it possible that humanity could survive in space if earth became uninhabitable?

The best option is terraforming again, so we could terraform the earth again, or just hope not to destroy the next one

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Nov 2021, 1:08 pm

Rexi wrote:
misha00 wrote:

The best option is terraforming again, so we could terraform the earth again, or just hope not to destroy the next one
I majorly hope this Covid virus wipes out all hew-mon life before we can leave Earth to f#ck up more planets. The hew-mon species are the ultimate parasites. Look what we did to our current planet & it keeps getting worse instead of better so we are obvious NOT learning.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 3:10 pm

misha00 wrote:

If you're gonna talk about it then ... really speak. And explain what it is that you're speaking about.

Do you mean force the whole human race into space life boats, and abandon ship on the whole planet? Launch all seven billion of us into space?

Obviously impossible.

Or do you mean just take a select few, like in Noah's Ark, and send those few into space (allow the rest of us to perish but those few could carry on the human linneage)? These select few could be like a small city of thousands, but would still be tiny portion of the global population.

That would be more feasible.

But even then...what do you mean?

Do mean send this huge space craft with this select community of survivors out to find and colonize a new planet ?

Or do you mean have them just live in space for ever?

misha00
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2021, 3:25 pm

I was more thinking of sending a small minority of people like you said.

Not sure how many spacecraft would be involved, but maybe a mothership and then smaller ships for individuals.

I was thinking not to colonize other planets, just live in space using supplies from the energy ship.

I'm told it's infeasible though.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 5:11 pm

At some point in the future it will probably be possible. Most things that can be imagined can be done with enough knowledge, resources and experience.

Todays science fiction often becomes tomorrows science fact - if not more so.

Try reading Becky Chambers 'Wayfarers' series of novels - especially 'Record Of A Spaceborn Few'

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 5:31 pm

Velorum wrote:
At some point in the future it will probably be possible. Most things that can be imagined can be done with enough knowledge, resources and experience.

Try reading Becky Chambers 'Wayfarers' series of novels - especially 'Record Of A Spaceborn Few'

Aye, that one is particularly relevant. It describes the Exodus Fleet, where humans have been living for dozens of generations. The key is to recycle everything, from broken tools down to corpses.

Barring the invention of a Super Futuristic Magic Space Drive, you're still going to need reaction mass for your engines. One idea I've seen a few times (e.g. "Hull Zero Three" by Greg Bear) is to attach the ship to a comet and feed comet material into your engines. The comet is used up by the time you reach your destination.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 5:56 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Velorum wrote:

Aye, that one is particularly relevant. It describes the Exodus Fleet, where humans have been living for dozens of generations. The key is to recycle everything, from broken tools down to corpses.

Barring the invention of a Super Futuristic Magic Space Drive, you're still going to need reaction mass for your engines. One idea I've seen a few times (e.g. "Hull Zero Three" by Greg Bear) is to attach the ship to a comet and feed comet material into your engines. The comet is used up by the time you reach your destination.

so wait is it theoretically possible to put a space ship behind a comet someday in the distant future.I thought that was only sci-fi but maybe I will be proven wrong one day.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 6:08 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Velorum wrote:

so wait is it theoretically possible to put a space ship behind a comet someday in the distant future.I thought that was only sci-fi but maybe I will be proven wrong one day.

The only space ship we've got is the planet we inhabit.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 6:40 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Velorum wrote:

You already live on a space ship that follows a star around like a pug dog shadows its master. Its a natural space ship called "earth", and it orbits the Sun, while the sun itself cruises around the galaxy.

We can already put manned, or unmanned space vehicles upon, or in orbit around, or "behind", any celestial object in the solar system you want with technology we have today. We have landed men on the moon, and have sent probes out to every planet, and to go up close to asteroids.

Nothing special about that.

So we could wait for Halleys comet to return, and then send an unmanned probe, or even human astronauts, behind it to follow it back out to the outer part of its orbit billions of miles out, and then follow it back in again when it returns seventy some years from now. But there is no reason to do that.

But we cant do yet is "mine" asteroids, or comets, for their mineral resources yet. But that might well be possible in the future.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 8:43 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Velorum wrote:

You already live on a space ship that follows a star around like a pug dog shadows its master. Its a natural space ship called "earth", and it orbits the Sun, while the sun itself cruises around the galaxy.

We can already put manned, or unmanned space vehicles upon, or in orbit around, or "behind", any celestial object in the solar system you want with technology we have today. We have landed men on the moon, and have sent probes out to every planet, and to go up close to asteroids.

So we could wait for Halleys comet to return, and then send an unmanned probe, or even human astronauts, behind it to follow it back out to the outer part of its orbit billions of miles out, and then follow it back in again when it returns seventy some years from now. But there is no reason to do that.

But we cant do yet is "mine" asteroids, or comets, for their mineral resources yet. But that might well be possible in the future.

I dont trust the idea of going behind a comet for decades to escape planet earth because I came close to becoming a orphan from Heaven's Gate even if it is theoretically possible.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 11:09 pm

Timothy Leary talked about this in late 1970s.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 1:05 am

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 4:04 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Velorum wrote:

I dont trust the idea of going behind a comet for decades to escape planet earth because I came close to becoming a orphan from Heaven's Gate even if it is theoretically possible.

OMG! 8O

Your parents were involved in the infamous Heaven's Gate Cult????

That was in the like early Nineties. If my memory serves. Was in the news. We all talked about it, and comedian Richard Belzer joked about it.

you're right...it was a suicide cult, and even if your parents hadnt offed themselves they might have...um..neutered themselves (thats what the cult members had to do). Either way you wouldnt be here now.

Yeah...I remember how the cult leader had himself, and his followers, convinced that there was a space ship following Halley's Comet into the Solar system, and that that spaceship was going to rescue them from earth. And it all hit the news when the police found them all lying dead around the guys house from mass suicide. Glad your family survived all of that insanity.