What things do you think shouldn't have been invented?

Page 26 of 34 [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 34  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 11:36 am

Mirrors and selfies.

Wouldn't it be great if no one had a clue what they looked like?

It freaks me out that throughout our whole lives, we never truly see our own face. I think it would help the world if people weren't so vain and didn't use their looks for power (or in some cases, for self-hatred).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 5:09 pm

The Wuhan Covid-19 virus. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 5:12 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Mirrors and selfies.

Wouldn't it be great if no one had a clue what they looked like?

It freaks me out that throughout our whole lives, we never truly see our own face. I think it would help the world if people weren't so vain and didn't use their looks for power (or in some cases, for self-hatred).

Being sexually unattractive and people not being interested in having a sexual relationship with one, might be a clue as to how one looks to others. 8)

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 2:47 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I wish private central banking and fiat currency would have never been invented.I wish actively managed mutual funds would have never been invented.

What's wrong with fiat currency?
What's wrong with managed funds? Why not let experts take care of a portion of your investments and actively manage them, it sure beats earning less than 1% interest from having it in cash (and therefore going down in value as it's less than inflation, not to mention the tax office robs you of some of it as well).

Money is a store of value, something that can be bartered with others in commerce.

With the words "moneyman" in your handle I thought you would be right into money and investing wisely.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 6:11 pm

My mom and my NT sister both say social media should not have been invented at all.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 7:57 pm

Eurythmic wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I wish private central banking and fiat currency would have never been invented.I wish actively managed mutual funds would have never been invented.

What's wrong with managed funds? Why not let experts take care of a portion of your investments and actively manage them, it sure beats earning less than 1% interest from having it in cash (and therefore going down in value as it's less than inflation, not to mention the tax office robs you of some of it as well).

Money is a store of value, something that can be bartered with others in commerce.

With the words "moneyman" in your handle I thought you would be right into money and investing wisely.

well I am against fiat currency because my economics teacher said that all fiat currencies eventually fail and have hyperinflation and become worthless like Weimar Germany in the 1920's..I would prefer a gold standard to fiat currency.I am against managed funds because the experts aint worth the money you pay because most of them underperform the market.Plus index funds are cheaper and more tax-efficient.I am into money and investing wisely just not into loving fiat currency.I think investing in managed mutual funds is not very wise.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 06 Dec 2021, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 8:55 pm

The whole airline industry should be put on hold for fifty years until the world can digest it.

Its just two easy for too many millions of humans to move rapidly around the world.

Thats why we have pandemics that spread around the world.

Not sayin that we should go back to the sailing ship days. Just to the pre jet age 20th century transoceanic system of steamships, and piston engine prop planes. Maybe even revive airships (with helium and not explosive hydrogen). Luxury flying boats, and luxury airships, that move at about the same speed as trains.

Slow down the pace of travel. Also control terrorism. If you tried to hijack a zeppelin and then fly it into a skyscraper it would just bounce off of the skyscraper like a giant nerf ball. The ability to travel just far exceeds the world's ability to manage travel at this time.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 9:04 pm

Guns and missiles.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 2:02 am

Eurythmic wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I dont consider the U.S dollar to be true money because it is constantly losing value to inflation.I consider the U.S.Dollar to be a currency.I think oil/gas wells,mineral rights gold,silver,real estate, farm/ranch land and the stock market would be a way better store of value long-term than the U.S. Dollar or any other fiat currency globally.JP Morgan said something like "Like Only Gold is Money,Everything else is Credit."Also the US where I live is having high inflation right now due to fiat currency.I also dont like fiat currency because it means saving money in the bank for retirement is a losing proposition and it forces retirees to go to higher-risk options like the stock market instead of CDs.I also hate it because it has killed bonds for a lot of people.I think index funds are way wiser than mutual funds.I am also against fiat currency because it really increases debt loads.I wish the dollar was still as good as gold.I think gold is God's money and eventually the U.S.Dollar will be worthless.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 5:17 am

The Haber-Bosch process (nitrogen fixation).

This single invention allowed for the mass production of fertilisers which made the population boom of the last 100 years possible and is why we're in the mess we're in existentially.

It also allowed for the creation of Zyklon B and the poison gasses used on WWI battlefields.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 4:41 am

A good amount of US states largely because they don't make a lot of sense and Rhode Island and Delaware are perfect examples. I think New England should be one state because of how small the states are, Delaware should rejoin Pennsylvania, and the plains states of Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and Dakotas should be one state as well. As a geographer that loves maps the Northeast can definitely be an eyesore at times and it's because of how small much of these New England states are.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 5:39 am

Dylanperr wrote:
A good amount of US states largely because they don't make a lot of sense and Rhode Island and Delaware are perfect examples. I think New England should be one state because of how small the states are, Delaware should rejoin Pennsylvania, and the plains states of Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and Dakotas should be one state as well. As a geographer that loves maps the Northeast can definitely be an eyesore at times and it's because of how small much of these New England states are.

well I dont think thats really doable in the US because it would upset the balance of power and reduce the number of senators and electoral college votes because each state gets 2 senators.Your two or three state combo could upset the balance of power between the Democratic and Republican parties in the U.S.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 5:53 am

Merging the two Dakotas maybe.

But not the rest of the prairie midwest into one state like that. Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska, are each very large, and viable states in their own rights. Merging all three with the Dakotas would make a needlessly giant state.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 6:07 am

DuckHairback wrote:

This single invention allowed for the mass production of fertilisers which made the population boom of the last 100 years possible and is why we're in the mess we're in existentially.

It also allowed for the creation of Zyklon B and the poison gasses used on WWI battlefields.

I think the whole nitration process lead to an impressive advance of weapons and was responsible for millions of deaths in the late 1800s to 1945 directly so that has played out worse than nukes.

Though I'm sure nitroglycerin makes good fertilizer too. Just don't go tossing it around the wheat fields with vigor.

I think all the inventions listed here was just an inevitable advance humans would make.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 6:13 am

I wish political parties in the US would of never been invented.I wish Coca-Cola and Pepsi would have never been invented so Dr Pepper could be the king of soft drinks.I wish OPEC and state-owned oil and gas companies like Saudi Aramco would of never been invented.I wish that unprofitable oil and gas wells were not invented or rather come did not come into being.I wish that bonds yielding below 4 to 7 percent would of never been invented.I wish no more social media networks after MySpace would of been invented.I wish there was no invention of Facebook.I wish smartphones like the iPhone would of never been invented but I must admit I enjoy them now after I was forced into getting them.I wish Mormonism would of never been invented.I wish 401Ks as a retirement vehicle would of never been invented.I wish the Prohibition movement would of never happened.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 6:16 am

Nades wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

I think the whole nitration process lead to an impressive advance of weapons and was responsible for millions of deaths in the late 1800s to 1945 directly so that has played out worse than nukes.

Though I'm sure nitroglycerin makes good fertilizer too. Just don't go tossing it around the wheat fields with vigor.

I think all the inventions listed here was just an inevitable advance humans would make.

they also used nitroglycerin to frack oil and gas wells ages ago by making the nitro explode and stimulate the oil and gas.