Stupid thing to worry about but...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 1:07 pm

On the walking route to work a flood keeps occuring right across the road and the paths (sidewalks) and it's too deep to just walk across even with boots on. I think it has something to do with an estuary that is nearby, although it isn't near enough to flood this particular street like it does. I don't know how long it takes for the flood to disappear again. It has nothing to do with the weather either.

I know it's a pain for cars but it's also a pain for pedestrians too. This street is the only way I can get to work, there is no other way for pedestrians except for the diverted route where the cars would go but that is miles out of your way and I'll end up getting lost.

It makes me anxious because I can't think of a solution if I do get stuck on my way to work (not in the flood but not being able to get across it). Do I turn around and go back home and phone work saying I can't get in? Do I buy a pair of wellington boots and risk walking through the flood?

The council won't do anything about it because it 'costs money' but I think this is becoming a safety hazard and an inconvenience, so I think they should have to do something about it sooner or later. It never used to be this bad, it only used to flood if it had been raining a lot but not deep enough to not be able to get across.

I know I'm stupid worrying about this but I do. So I've been getting taxis to work, although I'll have to start walking again sooner or later.

What would you do in this situation?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 1:17 pm

Wear rubber boots, hop over (if it's possible) or use debris to build a bridge.

How deep does it get? Like ankle-deep or more than that?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 1:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I don't know, but I know it's too deep to drive a car through, and it isn't clear water so you can't see through it, so it's risky to walk through it in case you trip up the kerb or step on uneven ground or something. It is definitely not ankle deep.

Using debris to build a bridge isn't really an option, as there's nothing like that around and I couldn't do it on my own. The flood is huge, not just a big puddle.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 1:37 pm

Boots could be a good answer...except make sure you can see the bottom. If the water was hiding new sinkhole it could be a problem if you unknowingly stepped into it.

If that is an issue, maybe get a cane or a walking stick so you can verify the hidden bottom is still there for you to walk across.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 1:56 pm

Joe90 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I don't know, but I know it's too deep to drive a car through, and it isn't clear water so you can't see through it, so it's risky to walk through it in case you trip up the kerb or step on uneven ground or something. It is definitely not ankle deep.

Using debris to build a bridge isn't really an option, as there's nothing like that around and I couldn't do it on my own. The flood is huge, not just a big puddle.

That's disappointing, I think DR's suggestions are good: boots and a walking stick so you can check if it's safe to put your foot down before you take the next step.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 2:27 pm

Wellingtons are normal day to day footware for me. Doesn't everyone own a pair?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 2:51 pm

Write to your local MP about it. Thats what they are there for.

It's hard to picture it for me but I'm seeing it as being in an ill lit area as well for some reason.

Does the council expect you to row to work in a boat?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 3:20 pm

babybird wrote:

It's hard to picture it for me but I'm seeing it as being in an ill lit area as well for some reason.

I'm hoping someone else in the area would write to the local MP about it. This town has a traffic problem as it is, so having one of the most-used roads in the town to be flooding every couple of days isn't very ideal.

Surely they can build more barriers around the estuary or something. I'm no geologist but there must be something they can do to prevent this. It's inconvenient to pedestrians too, and a safety hazard. Suppose you have a pram and/or small children, or you're an elderly person or a wheelchair-user. Or you're just nervous like me.

I don't think carrying a cane is very acceptable in this society, as some people might think I'm suspicious, or they might just look at me thinking I'm weird. I don't really want to be carrying a cane with me for a mile before getting to the flooded area (if it happens). I'll probably be stopped by the police, unless I carry it in a large bag.

Quote:

Not me. But I think this flood would be too deep even for wellies. That's how bad it is.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 5:11 pm

Joe90 wrote:
babybird wrote:

I'm hoping someone else in the area would write to the local MP about it. This town has a traffic problem as it is, so having one of the most-used roads in the town to be flooding every couple of days isn't very ideal.

Surely they can build more barriers around the estuary or something. I'm no geologist but there must be something they can do to prevent this. It's inconvenient to pedestrians too, and a safety hazard. Suppose you have a pram and/or small children, or you're an elderly person or a wheelchair-user. Or you're just nervous like me.

I don't think carrying a cane is very acceptable in this society, as some people might think I'm suspicious, or they might just look at me thinking I'm weird. I don't really want to be carrying a cane with me for a mile before getting to the flooded area (if it happens). I'll probably be stopped by the police, unless I carry it in a large bag.

Quote:

Not me. But I think this flood would be too deep even for wellies. That's how bad it is.

A couple of weeks ago, on the way to work, my worthless corpse has to cross a puddle, about 15 feet long and one foot deep, so took off shoes and rolled up pants. Hated having to do that. Stepped in some small rocks. Then at work, had to wipe dry and etcetera.

Paranoid that I have to keep doing it every time it rains

Train tracks

Financially destitute location

However, it is also a safety hazard.

You might be able to report a safety hazard to Occupational health safety association or the city health department

However, it seems like plenty of people already reported it and nobody will solve the problem

If someone gets injured as a result of the safety violation, they could win a civil lawsuit against the city

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 5:29 pm

Maybe you could walk to work when it's not flooded and still get a taxi to work when it is flooded. That may not be an ideal solution, but I would not advise walking through a flood to get to work. I certainly wouldn't do it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 5:30 pm

You need a boat? :D

Not sure what to say. Waders?

I think wellies and spare socks is best.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 6:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Maybe you could walk to work when it's not flooded and still get a taxi to work when it is flooded. That may not be an ideal solution, but I would not advise walking through a flood to get to work. I certainly wouldn't do it.

I don't know when it will be flooded. So far it's only been flooded at times when I don't walk to work, so hopefully that's the times of the tide. But due to climate change I'm worried in case it might flood at different times. I heard it flooded about 11pm the other night and I know that usually it doesn't flood at that time, so you never know. It could flood at any time.

It's dark and wintertime now so I'll probably get pneumonia or something taking off my shoes and socks and wading through it like that. Then after that I still have a way to walk until I arrive at work, so I'm not going to be doing that. So cold. If it was summer I may try that, but not in the winter.

We don't have clean, white sidewalks like they do in America. We have stony concrete that's often uneven and grimy with mud and dirt. I live in the UK.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 6:36 pm

Joe90 wrote:
We don't have clean, white sidewalks like they do in America

Maybe white (if concrete) but CLEAN?! :lol:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 5:10 am

It's not a stupid thing to worry about.
I know a number of risks of crossing floods unsafely and consequences if not fixed in long term.

What would I do in that situation?

I can't tell you to do that. What I do isn't considered safe. :lol:
Unless you are the type who will dare to cross 4ft deep floods unaided and unprepared in a middle of a poor visibility storm on a whim.

Communicating about it with my work may not work in context with yours.
The standards of how bad the flood goes as well. I regularly have to deal with anything above 2 ft deep and without boots.
Maybe you can ask that to your boss or something just in case.

My choice of footwear and clothing isn't something to worry about getting wet in a flood.
But if I have a choice and a time to prepare, I'd get a long plastic shoe cover that reaches above my knees and is at least as thick as raincoats or so whatever material (I forgot which) so it won't get a hole nor gets fragile when wet.

Transports options are also different. We don't have taxis here. :o I've only been in a taxi for no more than 10 times I think.
Tricycles here are not always have their sidecars elevated enough to keep passengers from the flood water. And some motorcycles gets waterlogged and cannot function well.

And I still prefer to walk. The reason I get stranded or choose transport or play safe in general is to not worry anyone.

And the flood issue here are a combination of tides, climate, and multi regional mismanagement.
It wasn't this bad here 10+ years ago until some dam from another region next to the sea collapsed.

The source of worsening flood issue in my city is basically outside their jurisdiction. It's still not solved to this day. It's also something we expect every other year or so.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Dec 2021, 8:05 am

Like others have said, it does not seem stupid to worry about it because it sounds like a major safety hazard to me. As for as what I would do in that situation, if I only ever needed to take that route to & from work & I felt the route was majorly unsafe, I would either look for a new job that does not involve me taking that route or I would just call in on the days when it is flooded. If the water gets too deep for cars, it's too deep for taxis & buses & other forms of transportation. But if it is only that one spot that gets that deep, continuing to work at that job may not be practical with where you live & I see 4 options but none of em may be great choices.
1~ Call in to work when it is flooded & hope you don't get fired for missing too much work.
2~ Quit working there & hopefully find a job where you do not take that route there.
3~ Move to a different location where you won't have to take that route to work.
4~ Continue to risk your health & possibly your life to go to work.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 9:07 am

Double Retired wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
We don't have clean, white sidewalks like they do in America

Maybe white (if concrete) but CLEAN?! :lol:

Don't your pavements have stars in them with famous people names on each paving slab like the pictures we see of the USA here?
:D