Are people weirdos now to continue wearing masks ?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 10:06 am

Here in the UK there plans for lifting all restrictions and some are calling for an end to vaccine mandates, mask wearing and so on. I seem to think that some people are now saying that those who are still wearing a mask are treating everyone even if they are un-masked as being vectors of disease. I want to at some point or another take my masks off when things get better but there seems to now be this perception by some people, probably those who don't mask up and stuff that mask wearing makes someone look ''stupid'' and ''idiotic'' and are not comfortable at all being outside with other people. I know there is no need to wear one outside in the fresh air but if I am in a busy high street I wear when I am popping in and out of shops rather than constantly putting my mask on and taking off whilst going in and coming out. I mean there are those like me who are still anxious and wearing a mask, two masks or how many more should not make us look like over-anxious disease-phobes, they are doing it to protect each other even though masks like vaccines are not 100% perfect at stopping transmission.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 10:08 am

Almost everyone here in NYC wear masks. They might not wear one while taking a walk in a park.

If you’re on a bus and you don’t have a mask over your nose, someone on the bus will call you out on it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 10:16 am

chris1989 wrote:
Are people weirdos now to continue wearing masks?
No.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 12:00 pm

I used to worry that when everyone stopped wearing masks in public and went back to letting their filthy bodily fluids contaminate everything other infectious diseases like influenza that have decreased dramatically would spread like wildfire again. But now thanks to the general stupidity of the human race I no longer worry about such things, we'll be wearing masks forever and covid will very likely become endemic like influenza.

Eventually everyone will get covid at some point and there's nothing we can do.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 12:12 pm

I keep being told Omicron is milder than other variants but I don't know that if you are not vaccinated some people can still get very ill and only get milder symptoms if you have had two or three doses. I feel I've kind of got the thing in my head now that covid will continue hanging around because but surely its not in its interest to kill everyone.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 12:22 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I keep being told Omicron is milder than other variants
This may or may not be true, as there are complicating factors.
chris1989 wrote:
but I don't know that if you are not vaccinated some people can still get very ill and only get milder symptoms if you have had two or three doses.
This is true; one dose is better than none, two are better than one, and three are better than two.
chris1989 wrote:
I feel I've kind of got the thing in my head now that covid will continue hanging around
This is likely to be true; the virus will become "endemic" (always around).
chris1989 wrote:
because but surely its not in its interest to kill everyone.
Virii have no brains, thus no consciousness, thus no intent.  It simply is what it is.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 12:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
No.

I concur.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 12:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
I keep being told Omicron is milder than other variants
This may or may not be true, as there are complicating factors.
chris1989 wrote:
but I don't know that if you are not vaccinated some people can still get very ill and only get milder symptoms if you have had two or three doses.
This is true; one dose is better than none, two are better than one, and three are better than two.
chris1989 wrote:
I feel I've kind of got the thing in my head now that covid will continue hanging around
This is likely to be true; the virus will become "endemic" (always around).
chris1989 wrote:
because but surely its not in its interest to kill everyone.
Virii have no brains, thus no consciousness, thus no intent.  It simply is what it is.

I do keep reminding of something read about once that very deadly viruses with high fatality rates can't infect as many people as milder viruses can. Even though there have been more than 200 million infections worldwide out of over 7 billion people, I seem to think its a long way off from that number and surely I won't be able to infect everybody on the planet. It seems to me like the infection rate globally is quite slow for the virus.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 9:14 pm

I think whatever the government decides to do won't please everybody. If they lift all restrictions and tell us we all have to learn to live with the virus there are always going to be the overparanoid group that would live the rest of their lives fruitlessly hiding away from a virus we have vaccines for complaining. If the government takes the same drastic measures as they did 2 years ago (way before we had the pleasure of vaccines) there will then be the group that is against their freedom being limited (which is probably the majority now) complaining.
If the government decides on vaccines being mandatory then there will be the anti-vaxxers complaining.

So whatever the government decides on won't be right. It's unrealistic to expect the government to keep paying out furlough and putting the country into lockdown after lockdown until the virus goes away, because it's never going to go away. Get vaccinated, live your life, stop worrying.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 8:53 am

Let's hope COVID just becomes another "flu/cold-like" thing. It'll never be influenza, because coronaviruses are in a different family than the influenza viruses. It's actually more related to the Common Cold than it is to the flu.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 10:00 am

chris1989 wrote:
I do keep reminding of something read about once that very deadly viruses with high fatality rates can't infect as many people as milder viruses can. Even though there have been more than 200 million infections worldwide out of over 7 billion people, I seem to think its a long way off from that number and surely I won't be able to infect everybody on the planet. It seems to me like the infection rate globally is quite slow for the virus.

This is true. The higher the fatality rate, the faster the virus tends to kill, and if the infected die fast, they don't have as many chances of infecting others. Of course, there are probably some exceptions even with very dangerous viruses, as in people who get infected but don't get as sick as majority and thus might end up infecting more people, but in general, the deadlier the virus, the faster it takes it's host out and the less it has time to spread.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 6:52 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
Fnord wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
No.

I concur.

Me too.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 8:01 pm

No people aren't weirdos.

Wearing a mask protects the people around you, not you yourself. When I see others in a mask I'm grateful that they're protecting me (and by extension, protecting my family).

For all I know, those people had / have mild Covid and they're only out of the house to see a doctor or do something essential. I think it's a sign of respect that other people would put my needs first, even if they're only wearing the mask to put my mind at ease or to follow a mandate.

Emily S
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jan 2022, 3:30 am

No I don't think so. The people still wearing masks are good people because it means there keeping me and others safe. It's surprising how many aren't wearing masks here though. I went to the doctors last week and a few people weren't wearing masks which I thought was bad. I have severe asthma and still wear my mask so I'm sure they can to.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 10:16 am

Fireblossom wrote:
chris1989 wrote:

This is true. The higher the fatality rate, the faster the virus tends to kill, and if the infected die fast, they don't have as many chances of infecting others. Of course, there are probably some exceptions even with very dangerous viruses, as in people who get infected but don't get as sick as majority and thus might end up infecting more people, but in general, the deadlier the virus, the faster it takes it's host out and the less it has time to spread.

For example, Ebola spreads a lot slower than other diseases. A simulation was made about how quickly certain diseases could spread from one person to 100 unvaccinated people. Out of 100 people infected with Ebola, 70 people died, out of 100 people infected with SARS, 11 people died and out of 100 people infected with flu, 1 person died. I don't know how many of 100 people infected with Covid would die.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 4:01 pm

I think it's more important to wear masks now than ever. Omicron is super infectious, and masking + social distancing is way more effective than the vaccines.

chris1989 wrote:
I seem to think that some people are now saying that those who are still wearing a mask are treating everyone even if they are un-masked as being vectors of disease.

Well, I mean, they aren't wrong.
50% of America doesn't care if I live or die, but I happen to care quite a bit. Getting too close to selfish people is not something I want to risk my life and/or health for, or the lives/health of people around me.