Thanks to Tik Tok what is old is new again

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2022, 7:19 pm

Streams Skyrocket For Edison Lighthouse’s ‘Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)’ After 1970 Pop Hit Explodes on TikTok

Quote:
Proving that essentially all of pop history is now fair game for a TikTok revival, one of the biggest-growing streaming hits of 2022 now belongs to Nixon-era one-hit wonder Edison Lighthouse, with their bubblegum smash “Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes).”

The song, which reached No. 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 in March 1970, has seen an explosion in its streaming consumption after the song started getting adapted into a TikTok meme of users posting clips and photos of themselves to accompany the song’s lyrics — usually the opening lines, “She ain’t got no money/ Her clothes are kinda funny/ Her hair is kinda wild and free/ Oh but love grows where my Rosemary goes…”

Over the 10-day period from Dec. 25 to Jan. 3, the song received a combined 2.705 million on-demand audio streams, according to MRC Data. That number is up from a mere 170,000 on-demand audio streams from the prior 10-day period (Dec. 15-24), a staggering growth of 1,490%. The song has also moved onto Spotify’s daily US top 200 chart, just outside the top 100 as of Tuesday’s (Jan. 4) listing.

It’s hardly the first time a hit from the ’70s has gone viral enough on TikTok to impact the charts anew in the 2020s: Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams,” of course, achieved such a revival following its appearance in a massively popular video by user doggface208 that the 1977 Hot 100 No. 1 hit re-entered the chart in Oct. 2020, eventually climbing back as high as No. 12. But while “Dreams” has proven one of the most enduring, oft-covered hits from the era — from a beloved group of Rock and Roll Hall of Famers — “Love Grows” and Edison Lighthouse bear a more modest legacy, albeit one that still includes a number of covers, and appearances in hit 21st century movies like Shallow Hal and The Kissing Booth.

I never would have predicted this.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2022, 7:33 pm

strange things are happening.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 2:55 am

Old songs suddenly get revived. Usually by movies. Sometimes the song seems relevant again for some obvious reason. But sometimes not. Why the Tik Tok crowd likes that song ...who knows?

Who would have guessed that the Native Americans would latch on to a Seventies Stevie Nicks song in 2021?

Last edited by naturalplastic on 11 Jan 2022, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 3:02 am

I don't do Tic Toc, but when I play 70s songs on YouTube, the comments section is usually full of statements like "I'm 19 years old and I love this song!".

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 11:53 am

Tik Tok is a complete abomination and I hate it with every fiber of my being. Horrible acting, grotesque facial expressions, people trying to be funny or edgy but failing miserably at it. Worst of all are the geniuses pretending to have a mental disorder that they clearly know nothing about. Tik Tok is proof that the human race is hopelessly doomed. :x

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 11:59 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Tik Tok is a complete abomination...
...Worst of all are the geniuses pretending to have a mental disorder that they clearly know nothing about.

I think I may have a clue as to one specific young woman that you may have in mind.

Is she Canadian, blond, with big blue eyes and a very "animated" personality?

Darron

Last edited by GadgetGuru on 17 Jan 2022, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 12:12 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Tik Tok is a complete abomination and I hate it with every fiber of my being. Horrible acting, grotesque facial expressions, people trying to be funny or edgy but failing miserably at it. Worst of all are the geniuses pretending to have a mental disorder that they clearly know nothing about. Tik Tok is proof that the human race is hopelessly doomed. :x

If you were 15 years older I’d say “Ok boomer” :lol: . On a serious note I feel the way you do. I do not understand the appeal of Tik Tok to Gen Z at all. I have tried to have an open mind to it, forced myself to watch it with the idea that as an old person I need to do it multiple times to get what the young-ins intuitively understand. Nothing, Nada.

Old people have always felt this way about what the young are up to and always will. At least TiK Tok was a way for Gen Z to be exposed to a fun song from my youth. But boy how they destroyed it :cry: .

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2022, 10:33 pm

I think Tik Tok is one of the reasons the human race *deserves* extinction. :twisted:

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2022, 11:14 pm

Still a great song.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Mar 2022, 1:09 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I don't do Tic Toc, but when I play 70s songs on YouTube, the comments section is usually full of statements like "I'm 19 years old and I love this song!".
I noticed that as well but I also listen to new current songs done by teen artists & I suspect the younger generation would think I'm too old to listen to that & assume I'm perverted for listening to current teen girl singers. Since I'm almost 40 they would probably also assume I'm having a midlife crises which I very well may be these days but I always liked a variety of music & I've always been very immature for my age in some ways. I woulda liked today's current pop music regardless if I was still a kid, still a teen, still in my 20s, still in my early 30s, & I would probably still like it when I'm in my 40s, 50s, 60s, & 70s if the world lasts that long & I'm lucky/unlucky enough to still be alive then. I also tend to like music from 10 years before I was born.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 1:17 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I think Tik Tok is one of the reasons the human race *deserves* extinction. :twisted:

LOL! I'll second that.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Mar 2022, 1:25 am

HighLlama wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

LOL! I'll second that.
The human race deserved extinction since the millennium hit due to the state of politics, environment, & world affairs. Tik Tok is just sprinkles on top of icing on top of cake. There is aLOT more pressing issues to worry about than Tik Tok. Tik Tok is mostly just another symptom of a MUCH more serious problem. BTW I remember the Trump administration & other politicians talking about banning Tik Tok in the US due to it being owned by the Chinese & the Chinese caused Covid or something. IDK what the reasoning of Tik Tok being owned by the Chinese has to do with why it should be banned except some people believe that the Chinese intentionally caused Covid. Yet those same politicians think it is perfectly acceptable for US big business to outsource jobs to the Chinese child labor force instead of hiring Americans & paying any taxes to the US government :roll:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 01 Mar 2022, 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 1:29 am

i've not a clue as to what tiktok even is. :doh:

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 1:36 am

nick007 wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

LOL! I'll second that.
The human race deserved extinction since the millennium hit due to the state of politics, environment, & world affairs. Tik Tok is just sprinkles on top of icing on top of cake. There is aLOT more pressing issues to worry about than Tik Tok. Tik Tok is mostly just another symptom of a MUCH more serious problem. BTW I remember the Trump administration & other politicians talking about banning Tik Tok in the US due to it being owned by the Chinese & the Chinese caused Covid or something. IDK what the reasoning of Tik Tok being owned by the Chinese has to do with why it should be banned except some people believe that the Chinese intentionally caused Covid. Yet those same politicians think it is perfectly acceptable for US big business to outsource jobs to the Chinese child labor force instead of hiring Americans & paying any taxes to the US government :roll:

It was a joke about how stupid TikTok is, not our way of prioritizing human problems.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 11:47 am

auntblabby wrote:

It's a social media app where people post little video clips.

Apparently it's also owned by some Chinese company and may be full of spyware.

And I've heard that the videos it presents to you are all dictated by the first several videos you ever watch - then it locks in on some simple algorithm and shows you the same sort of themed stuff forever - new content, but same genre.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2022, 12:34 am

goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

It's a social media app where people post little video clips.

Apparently it's also owned by some Chinese company and may be full of spyware.

And I've heard that the videos it presents to you are all dictated by the first several videos you ever watch - then it locks in on some simple algorithm and shows you the same sort of themed stuff forever - new content, but same genre.

ty for explanation :) that does not sound good for one's cognitive development.