Page 205 of 282 [ 4512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208 ... 282  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:48 pm

Raleigh wrote:
^ well done, you!

(I live in the woods, and I have to go to town to get my mail. Have to go into town for verything, in fact, because there's no such thing as a delivery out here. Or a pick up)

Thank you! :heart:

And that sounds pretty frustrating to have to do. :| I guess I just don't like feeling "exposed" whenever I step outside, for some reason going out in my neighbourhood makes me feel like I'm being watched and scrutinized.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 5:00 pm

^ I love it, actually.
Everything has its positives and negatives.
It is really private out here.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 5:35 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
:| I guess I just don't like feeling "exposed" whenever I step outside, for some reason going out in my neighbourhood makes me feel like I'm being watched and scrutinized.

Probably because you are. There are drug addicts and lowlifes everywhere. Theres so much trash on the streets. I mean actual trash. I hate it where I live. (Not sound like 'Travis Bickle' lol ) I'm not scared to walk the streets, and it's not really unsafe, but on a aesthetic level , it sucks. I'd love to live somewhere like Raleigh, in country, private, quiet, nature. Okay maybe not like Raleigh, It might be too remote. Being near civilization would be nice haha.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 5:39 pm

theprisoner wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
:| I guess I just don't like feeling "exposed" whenever I step outside, for some reason going out in my neighbourhood makes me feel like I'm being watched and scrutinized.

Probably because you are. There are drug addicts and lowlifes everywhere. Theres so much trash on the streets. I mean actual trash. I hate it where I live. (Not sound like 'Travis Bickle' lol ) I'm not scared to walk the streets, and it's not really unsafe, but on a aesthetic level , it sucks. I'd love to live somewhere like Raleigh, in country, private, quiet, nature. Okay maybe not like Raleigh, It might be too remote. Being near civilization would be nice haha.

i can tell you that there are lowlifes out here in the sticks as well, one always must be vigilant. no escaping the lowlifes as they come in all socioeconomic sectors. some of them have manicures and advanced degrees [talking about the late jeffy].

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 5:42 pm

My neighbourhood isn't really a bad neighbourhood or anything like that, I just have a lot of social anxiety. I'd like to live in a more rural area for reasons other than privacy, too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 5:45 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
My neighbourhood isn't really a bad neighbourhood or anything like that, I just have a lot of social anxiety. I'd like to live in a more rural area for reasons other than privacy, too.

problem with living out in the sticks like i do, is you must have the ability to transport yourself into town to get groceries. gotta have a DL and a RELIABLE car [unless one is themselves a good mechanic]. live out in the sticks if you own a honda or a toyota. nothing more reliable than those two. scarily so. also out in the sticks when there is inclement weather and the associated power outages, you may be in the dark for quite a lot longer than the city swells. and chances are nobody will sand and/or shovel away the snow blocking the streets, so one MUST have a 4WD vehicle out here, MUST.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 6:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

problem with living out in the sticks like i do, is you must have the ability to transport yourself into town to get groceries. gotta have a DL and a RELIABLE car [unless one is themselves a good mechanic]. live out in the sticks if you own a honda or a toyota. nothing more reliable than those two. scarily so. also out in the sticks when there is inclement weather and the associated power outages, you may be in the dark for quite a lot longer than the city swells. and chances are nobody will sand and/or shovel away the snow blocking the streets, so one MUST have a 4WD vehicle out here, MUST.

I'm about 5 minutes away from a small town, so it's not so bad.
Our driveway is definitely 4WD. Have a Toyota.
Luckily we don't have to worry about snow, but trees can fall over the road and we have had flooding.
Off grid so don't have too many power worries.
No one collects our rubbish so you have to manage that, and drinking water, septic tanks, grease traps, pumps and tanks require constant maintenance.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 7:20 pm

Got a utility bill paid...and gathered necessary paperwork from my bank for proof of my income.
Bought a chocolate shake in 20 degree F weather on the way home. Cause i deserved it. These are things i need a reward for because,i was,avoiding them .

Take care of the Little one Isabella... :D good luck on the PCR test. Dont forget to take care of you too please. Your one determined Lady.

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 7:51 pm

Raleigh wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

I'm about 5 minutes away from a small town, so it's not so bad.
Our driveway is definitely 4WD. Have a Toyota.
Luckily we don't have to worry about snow, but trees can fall over the road and we have had flooding.
Off grid so don't have too many power worries.
No one collects our rubbish so you have to manage that, and drinking water, septic tanks, grease traps, pumps and tanks require constant maintenance.

how do you get along without mains power? generator?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 8:36 pm

^ We have a 5kw inverter and 20 solar panels + 4 lithium batteries.
We run everything on that - fridge, appliances, power tools, air con (during the day) and fans at night.
Generator for backup but we've only used it once and that was before we upgraded the system.
The batteries are fully charged at around 9:30 in the morning and they still charge on overcast days.
One thing we're not short on here is sunshine.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 8:47 pm

Raleigh wrote:
^ We have a 5kw inverter and 20 solar panels + 4 lithium batteries.
We run everything on that - fridge, appliances, power tools, air con (during the day) and fans at night.
Generator for backup but we've only used it once and that was before we upgraded the system.
The batteries are fully charged at around 9:30 in the morning and they still charge on overcast days.
One thing we're not short on here is sunshine.

wow, you're my "off the grid hero" :wtg: did you have a good amount of help getting this accomplished? are you using subterranean construction?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 8:56 pm

Subterranean?
Do you mean digging bunkers?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 9:01 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Subterranean?
Do you mean digging bunkers?

burying your house under earth berm, at least 3 feet of soil over most of the house, that is what they do in places like AZ and new mexico. i had an uncle that did that, he ran outta duckie$ to finish his house beyond the basement so he just buried it in river sand. didn't spend much to heat or cool it.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 9:29 pm

Don't think I'd want to bury my log cabin.
I have been digging some swales and berms though.
I wouldn't mind digging a root cellar or bunker.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 9:32 pm

now that is hard core off-grid living :wtg: if i had lotsa duckie$$$ i'd have a crane lift up my tin can, constuct a concrete false wall/daylight basement, drop my tin can back into there, cover the top. i've seen some projects like that where they artistically lit and painted the inside to where it looked pretty good if not exactly like the surrounding forest.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 1:28 am

I dug a shallow but long ditch to divert water flow. Council kinda messed up when they were fixing the road so the water runs onto my property near the house rather than along the road like it was for decades.

I'm good at digging.