Are people weirdos now to continue wearing masks ?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 4:09 pm

I was one of the first to wear a mask in the local supermarket and people actually took time out of their day to stop, point and laugh at me :scratch: I will probably be one of the last to remove my mask as well even if it stops becoming mandatory.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 4:48 pm

Surgical and better non-filter masks will likely lower disease severity or prevent some of those fleeting infections that happen indoors, as initial inoculum has a say there. Which is useful. High confidence of prevention will often need better masks and eye-wear. It can be thoughtful and altruistic for others, with little in the way of bother to the user. Nothing weird about that.

Not a fan of mandates/laws requiring them, but I have that opinion for most things.

I wore/wear a N95 with a surgical over it for someone else, as I don't particularly care that much about myself. I didn't/don't care what people thought. I was wearing one before it was famous/infamous when it looked like SARS (we dodged a bullet there), and apparently people looked at me odd, but I didn't notice.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 3:54 am

I'll be honest, I feel genuinely bad when I see people who are outside by themselves masked up, as we've known for some time that the virus doesn't spread easily outdoors, let alone when there isn't another person within hundreds of yards, as I frequently see when driving around my neighborhood. I get the same little pang when I see someone driving alone with a mask on, it's not "stupid mask people, lol", it's "Jesus, these people are really scared and probably don't need to be", particularly when it's a younger person I see.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 4:02 am

I dont think so.

Prior to the pandemic it was not unusual to see people in Japan and asian countries wearing masks as matter of routine. Perhaps in the West we will be more like that?

Personally, I like wearing a mask - but its less related to concerns over infection and more to do with feeling a greater sense of isolation when out especially in crowds. Regulations on mask wearing were no problem at all to me.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 9:59 am

I'll continue to wear a mask as long as I'm supposed to.
I don't pay much if any attention to who's wearing a mask and who isn't.
Unless the mask has some design on it that catches my eye.

In the future when mandates drop, I think it should be a matter of personal preference, like wearing a baseball cap frontwards or backwards. To each their own.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 12:41 pm

I shall always wear my mask when indoors from now on.

I think people are sensible for wearing a mask.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 3:39 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I'll be honest, I feel genuinely bad when I see people who are outside by themselves masked up, as we've known for some time that the virus doesn't spread easily outdoors, let alone when there isn't another person within hundreds of yards, as I frequently see when driving around my neighborhood. I get the same little pang when I see someone driving alone with a mask on, it's not "stupid mask people, lol", it's "Jesus, these people are really scared and probably don't need to be", particularly when it's a younger person I see.

I have forgotten to remove my mask when driving and also deliberately left it on as I know I will need to use it again shortly and rather not touch it unnecessarily. I'm not scared of the virus, I'm scared of passing it on.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 5:59 pm

Dox47 wrote:

There is no need to wear one really outside in the fresh air but if I am in a busy high street I do wear it when I am popping in and out of shops rather than constantly putting my mask on and then taking it. I mean there are people like me who are still anxious and wearing a mask, two masks or how many more should not make us look like over-anxious health-conscious weirdos, they are doing it to protect each other even though masks like vaccines are not 100% perfect at stopping transmission.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 6:07 pm

Are people weirdos for continuing to wear seat belts even though people still die in car accidents?

Are people weirdos for still dressing warmly when out in cold weather even though people still get hypothermia?

Are people weirdos for still going to the dentist even when their teeth don't hurt?

No. people are not weirdos for still wearing masks even if the mandate has been very foolishy. Good luck with the next covid spike. :roll:

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 6:23 pm

Dox47 wrote:

I drive with my mask on sometimes because I'm running errands and don't feel like taking it off only to put it on again in a few minutes--or lock the car and have to come back because the fugging mask is still in it.

I drive to work in my mask because I double-mask (I'm still looking for a 95 respirator that fits) and it's easier to get the medical mask adjusted comfortably and the cloth fitted securely over it when I'm not seated awkwardly in my car.

Don't feel sorry for people like me. Ask yourself why you're so quick to assume you know what other people's motivations are.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 12:24 pm

I seem to feel that if someone else has a problem with someone like me who chooses to wear two masks, surely it must be their problem and not mine.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 11:43 pm

KimD wrote:
Ask yourself why you're so quick to assume you know what other people's motivations are.

Is it really that much of a leap from seeing someone being overly cautious in public to thinking they might be scared or anxious? I'd feel the same if I saw someone wearing a crash helmet and a five point harness while driving a station wagon, it's possible that they're a stunt driver on their way to a movie shoot, but the parsimonious explanation would be that they were unusually nervous about driving and car accidents.

Nemesis2k7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2022, 11:52 pm

chris1989 wrote:
Here in the UK there plans for lifting all restrictions and some are calling for an end to vaccine mandates, mask wearing and so on. I seem to think that some people are now saying that those who are still wearing a mask are treating everyone even if they are un-masked as being vectors of disease. I want to at some point or another take my masks off when things get better but there seems to now be this perception by some people, probably those who don't mask up and stuff that mask wearing makes someone look ''stupid'' and ''idiotic'' and are not comfortable at all being outside with other people. I know there is no need to wear one outside in the fresh air but if I am in a busy high street I wear when I am popping in and out of shops rather than constantly putting my mask on and taking off whilst going in and coming out. I mean there are those like me who are still anxious and wearing a mask, two masks or how many more should not make us look like over-anxious disease-phobes, they are doing it to protect each other even though masks like vaccines are not 100% perfect at stopping transmission.

no people are not weirdos for wearing masks. how can someone be a weirdo for protecting themselves against a virus?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 2:42 am

Nemesis2k7 wrote:
no people are not weirdos for wearing masks. how can someone be a weirdo for protecting themselves against a virus?

Anything can be weird if taken too far; I'd imagine you might do a double-take at someone walking down the street in a full hazmat suit, for example.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 3:06 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
Fnord wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
Are people weirdos now to continue wearing masks?
No.

I concur.

Me too.

I believe in mask wearing , most people that are immune compromised were wearing masks anyhow,
And in Japan , it was just a matter of fact even before Covid.

where ever you go ,there you are

Nemesis2k7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2022, 4:11 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I used to worry that when everyone stopped wearing masks in public and went back to letting their filthy bodily fluids contaminate everything other infectious diseases like influenza that have decreased dramatically would spread like wildfire again. But now thanks to the general stupidity of the human race I no longer worry about such things, we'll be wearing masks forever and covid will very likely become endemic like influenza.

Eventually everyone will get covid at some point and there's nothing we can do.

no. everyone will not get covid eventually. best thing is keep using masks, and ultimately, get vaccinated.