What Noise Does "Good" Sound Like?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:07 am

People say things like "Sounds good", but what sound does "Good" make?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:17 am

It doesn't hurt?

That's my compass.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:20 am

A compass for direction or one to draw circles?

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:37 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
People say things like "Sounds good", but what sound does "Good" make?

Good is a description of a reaction. Why would it make a sound?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:48 am

A compass of decibels and noise frequency. :P

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:52 am

Hangbon. I am even more confused! :D

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 10:20 am

Exactly like this. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 12:15 pm

That sounds horrible as engines go. All loud and shouty. H60GLT with its viscos fan and you will hear a lovely sound!

Ok. This one is backfiring a bit which means it is a GL (Carb) or it has a small hole in the exhaust. You cant hear the fan from the exhaust side but you can hear the rest.

These things were quite quick as well and handled amazing as the were front engine with a rear mounted gearbox (Rear wheel drive).

And another....

Uhmmm... This one has been done up using the twin cam Volvo 740 GLT engine head (I can tell as I also had a 740GLT which was very quick in standard form... Noticably quicker then the T5 which I also once had).
There was also a full carbon fibre body made for the 3 series Volvos which was a complete carbon fibre made shell. The GLT driveshaft for the 360's was aluminium as standard to give it good acceleration. The other 360's had standard steel driveshafts. The GLT version was developed by Porsche who lowered the suspension and improved the already good Volvo engine.... Today those engines are highly saught after in the UK and the EU to use in rally cars as they are easy to tune and are built to last.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 24 Jan 2022, 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 12:26 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
That sounds horrible as engines go. All loud and shouty. Hear a Volvo 360GLT with its viscos fan and you will hear a lovely sound!

I'm sure with an aggressive cam and straight pipes that would also sound awesome, but I couldn't find a clip of one tuned like that Honda so they couldn't reach the same RPMs so they didn't sound as good.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 12:43 pm

These damn ASMR videos....weird fad...but...

Sounds good to me. In fact it actually turn me on. And if I'm wrong for that, I don't wanna be right. :lol: She's good...

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 1:02 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
That sounds horrible as engines go. All loud and shouty. H60GLT with its viscos fan and you will hear a lovely sound!

Ok. This one is backfiring a bit which means it is a GL (Carb) or it has a small hole in the exhaust. You cant hear the fan from the exhaust side but you can hear the rest.

These things were quite quick as well and handled amazing as the were front engine with a rear mounted gearbox (Rear wheel drive).

And another....

Uhmmm... This one has been done up using the twin cam Volvo 740 GLT engine head (I can tell as I also had a 740GLT which was very quick in standard form... Noticably quicker then the T5 which I also once had).
There was also a full carbon fibre body made for the 3 series Volvos which was a complete carbon fibre made shell. The GLT driveshaft for the 360's was aluminium as standard to give it good acceleration. The other 360's had standard steel driveshafts. The GLT version was developed by Porsche who lowered the suspension and improved the already good Volvo engine.... Today those engines are highly saught after in the UK and the EU to use in rally cars as they are easy to tune and are built to last.

Some of those clips were what I came across while I was looking for examples. :thumleft:

I'm not as familiar with those Volvos as the Group A and Supertouring ones but they sound like a fairly effective platform for motorsports.

When it comes to sound I like high strung N/A engines, although that's not necessarily what I'd want in a race car I have to win with.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 1:09 pm

Better than good noise.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 1:24 pm

Volvo engines did rev very well but they also had a fair bit of grunt at low revs.
I once had a very high revving Audi that had a V6 short stroke engine (2.6) but its power was all in the revs. A quiet car and easy to stall in low revs.
High revving engines are great if one already has the revs up high when one is going to overtake but don't make very good towcars.
I currently have a low revving Mitsubishi with a little Mercades diesel engine. It actually has an excellent sound! :D You should hear it!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 1:29 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
High revving engines are great if one already has the revs up high when one is going to overtake but don't make very good towcars.

For awhile for hot lapping I was using a GP2 engine in a sedan and one of the things that stood out was that you had to keep it over 3.5k in order to be quick. Eventually I found something more suitable, it gives up about 90 HP but it's got a lot more grunt down low.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 1:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

For awhile for hot lapping I was using a GP2 engine in a sedan and one of the things that stood out was that you had to keep it over 3.5k in order to be quick. Eventually I found something more suitable, it gives up about 90 HP but it's got a lot more grunt down low.

The strange thing is that while the second Audi had a petrol V6 engine which revved like mad with amazing handling but hardly had any low down torque so it stalled easily, the first Audi I had was also petrol and it had a straight 5 cylinder engine which had so much torque one could not stall the thing if one wanted to, but it refused to rev any higher then 4000 revs. Foot down all the way... 4000 revs ad that was it. Did not even go into the red line area and it was nt the rev limiter. Was the engine did not do high revs. Yet torque really made up for it. Spinning the front wheels in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and probably 5th if ai let it as I accelerated down the road. Handled like a brick! Back end swaying back and fore as the front wheels struggled to grip due to excessive torque...
Both Audis did weird fuel economy. Both did around 35mpg. The second one I really tested on this as fuel lasted a six day commuting week where I worked. One week I would hardly touch the accelerator with a full tank of fuel and tried my best to get the best fuel economy until the fuel tank was into the red. 35mpg. The next week I floored it everywhere I went for the whole week until the fuel gauge went into the red and still exactly 35mpg. I did this every week for seven months switching back and fore and always 35mpg, so in the end I didn't bother trying to economize with that car! Weird!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 3:04 pm

It sounds like you think too much.