It is "Dr Pepper", not "Dr. Pepper"

Page 2 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 1:59 pm

Oh you people! :P Sort yourselves out :lol:

I was thinking of a tea urn, not a funeral urn.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 2:08 pm

KitLily wrote:
Oh you people! :P Sort yourselves out :lol:

I was thinking of a tea urn, not a funeral urn.

Oh so it's you who started it :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 2:09 pm

They are taking my urns in vain :lol:

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 4:09 pm

So it's not made from dead people then, like Soylent green?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 8:50 pm

My guess is that both Daniel W., and Matrix, are right.

My guess is that, like most brands of soda pop, Dr. Pepper was originally sold as patent medicine in the late 19th Century as an actual medical remedy for something or other.

Then around 1920 the government cracked down with laws to sort out real medicine from quack medicine.

So ...the Coke company had to take the cocaine out of CocaCola, and Dr. Pepper had to take the period out of his name, or get busted for practicing medicine without a license.

And ...there is a curious vestige of the drink's charlatan medicine past, not only in its name, but in that clock face thing they still have on their bottles today. That circle (or triangle) with the "ten, two, and six" numbers on it. Those were the times of day you were supposed to drink it. As if it were prescription medicine- that needed specific dosage instructions!

They still even SANG the line "drink it ...at ten two and six" in their TV spots when I was a kid in the 1960s.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 11:50 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

My guess is that, like most brands of soda pop, Dr. Pepper was originally sold as patent medicine in the late 19th Century as an actual medical remedy for something or other.

Then around 1920 the government cracked down with laws to sort out real medicine from quack medicine.

So ...the Coke company had to take the cocaine out of CocaCola, and Dr. Pepper had to take the period out of his name, or get busted for practicing medicine without a license.

And ...there is a curious vestige of the drink's charlatan medicine past, not only in its name, but in that clock face thing they still have on their bottles today. That circle (or triangle) with the "ten, two, and six" numbers on it. Those were the times of day you were supposed to drink it. As if it were prescription medicine- that needed specific dosage instructions!

They still even SANG the line "drink it ...at ten two and six" in their TV spots when I was a kid in the 1960s.

Dr Pepper was invented by a Waco, Texas pharmacist in the 1800's.Dr Pepper was possibly named after a real life doctor but we will never know for sure.I love Dr Pepper.I heard the period was taken out of the name possibly because of a bad font in some of the early advertising.I think I read that the period was dropped in about 1950 but I could be wrong.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 6:41 am

naturalplastic wrote:

I was just delivering a joke. But perhaps the truth is stranger than satire.

I looked up the original trademark and got this:

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 8:56 am

This is the Ad placed in newspapers in 1904 when Dr. Pepper (notice the . ) was first made available nationally:
https://scalar.usc.edu/works/history-of-the-soda-fountain/media/Dr.%20Pepper.jpg

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 9:06 am

Hmmm...

Its being touted as 'healthful', and 'hygenic'. Which makes sense for back then -when pasteurization was a new thing just being mastered in the beverage industry.

But it's nottauted as being a cure for anything.

So the 'doctor' wasnt really promising anything beyond what he did and still delivers.

BUT....

whats with that "drink it at ten, two, and six" business? :lol:

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 9:30 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Hmmm...

Its being touted as 'healthful', and 'hygenic'. Which makes sense for back then -when pasteurization was a new thing just being mastered in the beverage industry.

But it's nottauted as being a cure for anything.

So the 'doctor' wasnt really promising anything beyond what he did and still delivers.

BUT....

whats with that "drink it at ten, two, and six" business? :lol:

It was believed that people with otherwise normal blood sugar levels would experience mild hypoglycemia at those hours (assuming the worked and slept the usual workday hours), so drinking at 10am, 2pm and 4 would keep you refreshed and productive during the day if you drank Dr. Pepper at those times.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 9:35 am

DanielW wrote:
This is the Ad placed in newspapers in 1904 when Dr. Pepper (notice the . ) was first made available nationally:
https://scalar.usc.edu/works/history-of-the-soda-fountain/media/Dr.%20Pepper.jpg

Free from caffeine? Isn't caffeine the whole purpose of drinking Dr Pepper. Or did it have cocaine instead?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 10:10 am

The original contained cocaine. It differed from Coca-Cola mainly because it is purported to contain licorice, and Marsh Mallow (the root, not to be confused with Marshmallow).

7-up contained Lithium instead of cocaine.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 10:20 am

Yes, I also kind of thought maybe it was for legal reasons, but Dr. Seuss wasn't a real doctor either, and it's spelled with a period.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 10:27 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Yes, I also kind of thought maybe it was for legal reasons, but Dr. Seuss wasn't a real doctor either, and it's spelled with a period.

The difference was that Dr.Seuss wan't selling a consumable product, so it wasn't going to be confused as something medicinal.

That and He did eventually receive an honorary Doctorate, thus able to refer to himself as "Doctor"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 11:33 am

DanielW wrote:
The original contained cocaine. It differed from Coca-Cola mainly because it is purported to contain licorice, and Marsh Mallow (the root, not to be confused with Marshmallow).

WOW!

The original had cocaine. But boasted that it did NOT have caffeine?

That would be like me boasting that I only smoke "filter tip crack"!

Or only use 'fat free' crystal meth.

Hmmm... I wonder what the lithium in 7-up was supposed to do for you?

Last edited by naturalplastic on 07 Aug 2022, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 12:19 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
DanielW wrote:

WOW!

The original had cocaine. But boasted that it did NOT have caffeine?

That would be like me boasting that I only smoke "filter tip crack"!

Hmmm... I wonder what the lithium in 7-up was supposed to do for you?

Lithium was suppose the pep/cheer you up - basically give you a lift in mood.