Hmm, to gamble on it or nah maybe not?

Page 2 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 5:40 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Each to his own, but to me that thing is just plain out fugly.Looks like a big silver loaf of bread.
Can’t really tell from the photo ,but what is the ground clearance?It looks kind of low and if you have it loaded with tools it might squat.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

I LIKE the bread loaf/breadbox/toaster looking vehicles tho.. like the first gen Scion xB before it changed to a puffy square marshmallow.

Pretty sure the ground clearance is a fair bit higher than my Dodge Dart. Payload capacity listed online is 815kg/1793lb. I'm very sure it's way higher than my car and I very highly doubt the same tools + a few more in this little cargo van would squat it down any. The ass end of my car probably squats more. And I could more evenly distribute the weight of materials and things in this thing with a wide open floor for sure.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 5:58 pm

How good are you actually at auto mechanics?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 6:15 pm

I thought all of the Highlander hybrids are part-time 4WD. Mine is. The rear axle is all electric (there is no driveshaft going to the rear) and normally is not engaged unless it detects the front wheels slip, so it's pretty much a FWD car the rest of the time, how it ought to be, really. So those are the numbers that I'm getting with mixed driving.

Now I see. The fuel cost you quoted must be per liter, not gallon.

Here's your loaf.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Previa#First_generation_(XR10/XR20;_1990)
It ticks all the weird boxes without being incredibly rare in this region, though admittedly I don't see them around anymore.
Plus no embarrassments at the toll booth because you're sitting on the wrong side.

So have you test-driven the cab-over Hiace? Most people tend to not like cab-over ride...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 6:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How good are you actually at auto mechanics?

Not very. I’ve changed brake pads on a Honda Civic and a valve cover gasket and some spark plugs/wires/cap on an old vw, that’s about it.

I use a very fairly priced local shop for oil changes - cash no tax 60% the price of other places, a local used tire shop for cheap rubber, and recently paid a friend cash to do rear brakes, spark plugs, and the drive belt on my car.

I accept having to pay some people to do some things I don’t have the knowledge tools or space to do - that’s the cost of maintaining a vehicle.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 6:53 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I thought all of the Highlander hybrids are part-time 4WD. Mine is. The rear axle is all electric (there is no driveshaft going to the rear) and normally is not engaged unless it detects the front wheels slip, so it's pretty much a FWD car the rest of the time, how it ought to be, really. So those are the numbers that I'm getting with mixed driving.

Now I see. The fuel cost you quoted must be per liter, not gallon.

Here's your loaf.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Previa#First_generation_(XR10/XR20;_1990)
It ticks all the weird boxes without being incredibly rare in this region, though admittedly I don't see them around anymore.
Plus no embarrassments at the toll booth because you're sitting on the wrong side.

So have you test-driven the cab-over Hiace? Most people tend to not like cab-over ride...

Yes, I clarified earlier that it’s per litre. After exchange rate we’re currently 7-10% higher prices for fuel than Washington state. Usually there’s a bigger spread and thus financial incentive for the 1 hour round trip late night to fill up, but not with the current exchange rate.

1990 Toyota Previa gets 15.68mpg 15L/100km, so again twice the fuel or so, so $1000+/month for gas and it’s 15 years older And waaaay uglier. Also, we don’t have any toll booths here - the one that was on the Coquihalla Highway was removed, as promised, after the highway was paid for. And I almost never ever go through drive through restaurants or bank machines, maybe once every 2-3 years.

I test drove it in a residential area then the current owner took it for a highway rip with me in the passenger seat. Easily and smoothly did 120kmh with traffic no problem. It’s obviously a bit different, but definitely not terrible. It’s not truck high, but seating position is higher than my little car - which is a nice “power,” position feeling vs my 6’2” tall 215-220lb frame sitting down in my car where my legs would probably be broken in a bad accident anyways. Definitely didn’t drive it and hate the seating position or anything.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 10:51 am

Work is postponed due to weather for today, so I'm gonna go meet up with the current owner at a mechanic's shop I'm paying to inspect it this morning. If everything checks out and we agree on a price I'm gonna buy it and have the current owner, who does mobile tire installations, put winter tires on the stock wheels. Coooould own it by this evening. Then I'd go on a mini shopping spree to buy the handful of parts that need replacing, cut back the wooden floor and put the bench seat back in etc. *fingers crossed it checks out good - bonus if the timing belt has already been done*

Also, forgot about it until last night, but it also has some sort of simple tuning box/chip and a turbo timer. The tune should about 20% or so to the power while reducing fuel consumption -> That's part of how it's such a fuel sipper. If the current owner is honest about getting 650kms for $100 worth of diesel at $2.49/L, it only burns 6.1l/100km (maybe all highway) which at current prices is 50 cents more per 100kms of driving vs. my car - almost identical fuel cost, which I'm pretty stoked about!

Should know in ~4 hours or so if I'm gonna buy it. 8) (One of the biggest factors is timing belt and then price.. timing belt is a $1200-1400 maintenance job. The other is the ~$800-1200ish in parts I'd replace right away.)

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 3:22 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
6.1l/100km

:lol: In what is effectively aerodynamically a brick.

I can get you a good deal in this bridge I've got for sale...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 7:18 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
6.1l/100km

:lol: In what is effectively aerodynamically a brick.

I can get you a good deal in this bridge I've got for sale...

That’s all highway with a plug in chip tune that saves ~15% on fuel. 4 cylinder turbo diesel 5spd manual empty cargo van. Real world mixed driving probably a bit more, but I Also drive mostly highway so should be pretty good. Seems plausible - put $100 in, reset the trip, measure 650kms.

Timing belt has been done already, which is good. But it needs a bunch of smaller maintenance/repair items that will cost approximately $2500-3k to basically make it in mechanically tip top shape. But it’s fine to drive now while waiting for parts to arrive etc as it’s going to take a month or so to source parts and have them delivered.

There’s a big dent in the top of the hatch and a bunch of small cosmetic issues but whatever, not that big of deal.

We agreed on a price of $10k + $520 for a set of new Chinese made winter tires put on the stock rims. I told the mechanic to go ahead and source parts and I’ll have him do all the things - control arms, water pump, rear brakes, a few seals etc. So then I’ll be into it for around 13k + gotta pay 12% tax on the purchase price (yes, on every used car.) so $14.5k maybe all in. I can probably get 7500 or so for my car, maybe 8 if I’m lucky, which I’d likely sell next spring. So $7k more overall, but, the fuel savings over a different van will still pay for the van outright over a few years and it’ll hold its value really well despite the cosmetic flaws.

I always reset the trip on my car and on my motorcycle every time I fill up so I can keep tabs on fuel economy & range etc. I’ll do the same thing in this breadboxtoastervan and see what I get for fuel economy in reality. I’ve gotten even better numbers than those out of my car on some short highway trips driving like a granny, so it wouldn’t be shocking to get those kind of numbers from a 4banger turbo diesel with no weight on the highway.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 7:52 pm

Holy crap, you paid $10k for that van?

You really need my bridge.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:55 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Holy crap, you paid $10k for that van?

You really need my bridge.

It's about the lowest priced one of it's type here. Most are listed at $15-17k, this one Was listed at 15, then dropped to 12.5, then after inspection I said 10 due to immediate maintenance/repair costs. There's one listed for $21k and another for $25k etc. Quite the range and this one is near the bottom, price wise. There's also no other apples to apples comparison of a diesel with manual transmission.

Being a Toyota, it'll hold it's value well. Probably still worth $10k+ in a few years, maybe more after repairs/maintenance.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 11:10 pm

AFAIK you could buy a Sienna on that budget and it would be 10x more comfortable, could have 4wd if you want it, stuff like power sliding door...
Sure the fuel efficiency isn't there, but the numbers you quoted on that van aren't real anyway, they just don't agree with physics...

Anyway, congrats on your unusual car purchase...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 4:09 am

r00tb33r wrote:
AFAIK you could buy a Sienna on that budget and it would be 10x more comfortable, could have 4wd if you want it, stuff like power sliding door...
Sure the fuel efficiency isn't there, but the numbers you quoted on that van aren't real anyway, they just don't agree with physics...

Friend has a Sienna. Not sure if it’s awd or not. He gets 14L/100km. I think he has a bit of a heavy right foot, though.

The oracle says this van gets 5.7l/100, so with a chip and all highway driving I don’t think it’s impossible for it to get 6.1l/100. I just filled it up tonight and reset the trip so we’ll see what it actually gets. Also, it’ll probably do a hair better after a needed oil change and some/all of the repairs & maintenance are done.

Not sure why you think it’s physically impossible. It’s a 2.5l turbo diesel with a manual transmission and not much weight. Then there’s the tuning box. I think it’s possible with all highway driving. Time will tell and then I’ll relay the real world numbers here, with pics of the tripometer & diesel pump/receipt if you like. It might not be as low as 6.1, but I bet it’s not too far off even with some city driving and idling.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=2004+toy ... ent=safari

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 4:29 am

goldfish21 wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

Friend has a Sienna. Not sure if it’s awd or not. He gets 14L/100km. I think he has a bit of a heavy right foot, though.

The oracle says this van gets 5.7l/100, so with a chip and all highway driving I don’t think it’s impossible for it to get 6.1l/100. I just filled it up tonight and reset the trip so we’ll see what it actually gets. Also, it’ll probably do a hair better after a needed oil change and some/all of the repairs & maintenance are done.

Not sure why you think it’s physically impossible. It’s a 2.5l turbo diesel with a manual transmission and not much weight. Then there’s the tuning box. I think it’s possible with all highway driving. Time will tell and then I’ll relay the real world numbers here, with pics of the tripometer & diesel pump/receipt if you like. It might not be as low as 6.1, but I bet it’s not too far off even with some city driving and idling.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=2004+toy ... ent=safari

Note the quoted speed is 60km/h. The devil was in the details, pay attention. That's slow even for a city. I'm 80-100km/h in the city. Try that with realistic ~120km/h highway in that aerodynamic brick. No chance of that fuel consumption. I'm quite confident you're not driving to work at 60km/h because you have distance to cover and you value your time.

My own guess is that you're going to get about 3/4 of the distance per unit of fuel that you think you're going to get, so it will be financially a wash compared to gasoline. I think you have a solid shot at 30mpg on diesel, which is about what it is for a diesel Mercedes sedan, with more displacement but less aerodynamic drag.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 5:40 am

I looked in a fuel consumption tracking database and apparently even I was overly optimistic in my estimate. But I don't want to scare you so you'll find your own numbers for yourself as you drive it.

They did get the numbers right for my car though, in fact I get slightly worse (by just 0.6 mpg) than their average, but I do floor it on the way home every night when the road is empty.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 10:47 am

Every vehicle's fuel economy is right foot dependent. I've had some short trips in my car where I get like 48mpg.

Speed limit on the highway is 100 kmh and we just got our first dump of snow. I was doing up to 120 last night briefly, but overall will be at or below speed limits due to winter driving conditions vs. safer to drive faster in the summer.

Even 30mpg, while a bit higher fuel cost than my car due to the price of diesel, is not a wash compared to paying for gasoline in a different van and getting 12-20mpg.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 5:02 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Even 30mpg, while a bit higher fuel cost than my car due to the price of diesel, is not a wash compared to paying for gasoline in a different van and getting 12-20mpg.

Start driving. Then you can let us know how it's going.

Some people just want to be different, I get it. If Toyota believed they could sell this here and there was a buyer for it they would. But the factors just aren't in its favor.

You're not going to get 30. https://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/hiace
The margin of error is high due to low sample because it's a rare model, but the clear picture is that you expect mid-20s at best, but at the cost of diesel that's actually not attractive at all.

The better question is how high in the 20s you can get it. But at that point you've certainly missed the fuel budget and have to start to wonder if all that weirdness was ever worth it. Steering on the wrong side, uncomfortable cab-over seating, lack of maintenance options for an out-of-market vehicle, starts harder when it's cold out, the noise from the diesel engine, the smell, and then there's the fact it's just not nice to look at.