Page 41 of 97 [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 97  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 12:36 pm

I don't get...

Why the UK government is intent on running down the NHS so it doesn't work anymore and moving us to the system of insurance and 'pay on the door'.

Well I do get it! They want to line their pockets with our money, but why on earth did people vote for them?

I just read an account of a mother desperately trying to get a doctors appointment for her 5 year old girl with pneumonia, by the time she'd got the appointment, it was very late and she had to drive round to many different pharmacies in the freezing cold. None of them had the right antibiotic for the little girl. Every pharmacy had a mother in it crying because their tiny child couldn't get the antibiotics they needed to help them breathe or whatever.

A few years ago this would have been me and my daughter, she was a very sickly child.

But what is to become of us Brits? Looks like we're just going to be left to die because the NHS will be run down, or because we can't afford to pay for healthcare 'on the door.'

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 2:30 pm

KitLily wrote:
I don't get...

Why the UK government is intent on running down the NHS so it doesn't work anymore and moving us to the system of insurance and 'pay on the door'.

Well I do get it! They want to line their pockets with our money, but why on earth did people vote for them?

I just read an account of a mother desperately trying to get a doctors appointment for her 5 year old girl with pneumonia, by the time she'd got the appointment, it was very late and she had to drive round to many different pharmacies in the freezing cold. None of them had the right antibiotic for the little girl. Every pharmacy had a mother in it crying because their tiny child couldn't get the antibiotics they needed to help them breathe or whatever.

A few years ago this would have been me and my daughter, she was a very sickly child.

But what is to become of us Brits? Looks like we're just going to be left to die because the NHS will be run down, or because we can't afford to pay for healthcare 'on the door.'

The NHS has been privatised by stealth for a number of years now. Each person has a tiny budget which affects the quality of healthcare they receive & doctors will often refuse better treatments in favour of cheaper treatments, due to costs.

It is a sad situation.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 10:21 pm

I don't get why the side effects of nearly all medications begin as soon as you start taking them but the "positive" effects take week or months to even start to begin happening. I guess the body sees no difference between medications and poisons, all medications have something toxic in them, and then eventually the body becomes addicted to the drugs and the "positive" effects are you having to take it just so you feel "normal" and don't go into withdrawal.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 8:29 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
The NHS has been privatised by stealth for a number of years now. Each person has a tiny budget which affects the quality of healthcare they receive & doctors will often refuse better treatments in favour of cheaper treatments, due to costs.

It is a sad situation.

It's disgraceful. I expect that any minute now, the government will announce a 'shiny new healthcare system where you pay for the treatment you need. No paying for other people, just yourself.'

People will excitedly flock to the new system...then realise that their conditions are too expensive to manage and their insurance premiums will go up...and up...and up...

Too late! It's their only option.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 1:18 pm

KitLily wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

It is a sad situation.

It's disgraceful. I expect that any minute now, the government will announce a 'shiny new healthcare system where you pay for the treatment you need. No paying for other people, just yourself.'

People will excitedly flock to the new system...then realise that their conditions are too expensive to manage and their insurance premiums will go up...and up...and up...

The sad thing is - wages aren't nearly high in this country to cover the costs of private healthcare.

And what about people on low incomes or who rely on benefits?

It's sizing up to be a nightmare dystopia (the UK healthcare system).

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 4:39 pm

KitLily wrote:
Radish wrote:
People seem to have so many emotional interactions with each other which are largely beyond my comprehension. I prefer to keep interactions with others logical and factual. Emotions just get in the way and seemingly cause many complications.

^I would prefer that but as a woman it is impossible. I try to be logical and factual but that is not acceptable for a woman. I am seen as too blunt, too rude, too cold, even too manly, whatever that is. Women are supposed to be all soft and fluffy and understand all the subtle moods and hints and what different facial expressions mean. But I don't.

Fortunately, I've never felt this societal pressure. Granted, I think it's already expected of me to break expectations which is ironically an expectation. I just do whatever feels right and try not to overthink things.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 8:54 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
The sad thing is - wages aren't nearly high in this country to cover the costs of private healthcare.

You are preaching to the converted here. I've been telling people this for years, but no one listens. (I mean in real life)

I'm so fed up with telling people this truth, that when they start moaning about having to pay huge amounts for medical care, I shall just say, 'Well, this is what people voted for. It must have been what they wanted.'

The other thing is, people are saying 'the NHS was started to help poor people. So we don't need it anymore.'

No. It wasn't. It was started to help EVERYONE.

:x :x :x :x

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 8:56 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
KitLily wrote:
^I would prefer that but as a woman it is impossible. I try to be logical and factual but that is not acceptable for a woman. I am seen as too blunt, too rude, too cold, even too manly, whatever that is. Women are supposed to be all soft and fluffy and understand all the subtle moods and hints and what different facial expressions mean. But I don't.

Fortunately, I've never felt this societal pressure. Granted, I think it's already expected of me to break expectations which is ironically an expectation. I just do whatever feels right and try not to overthink things.

I think I'm going to follow your example. I'm going to be as weird as I can so people expect me to break expectations. That won't be difficult for me! :lol:

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 4:39 am

Quote:
Strep A antibiotics skyrocket as prices 'hiked up to take advantage' of demand

A pharmaceutical industry leader told Sky News the price of antibiotic Amoxicillin has risen from 80p to £18 following "volatile spikes in demand for drugs".

https://news.sky.com/story/strep-a-anti ... d-12764940

I don't get why it's acceptable for pharmaceutical companies to do this kind of thing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 6:11 am

Why people love snow so much even if they're in walking distance to their work so they still have to go to work.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 8:38 am

Spoon theory. Just seems to be something used to emphasis how disabled a person is, but there's no concrete example of how many spoons are being used per task and disability. It's way too abstract and subjective.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 8:42 am

firemonkey wrote:
Spoon theory. Just seems to be something used to emphasis how disabled a person is, but there's no concrete example of how many spoons are being used per task and disability. It's way too abstract and subjective.

I agree with you.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 9:18 am

^It is an odd metaphor. Seems like fuel in your gas tank would be a better metaphor. But it does have a certain logic.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 11:57 am

I don't get why people are called Nazis for the crime of being German or being in love with Germany. I also don't get why war supporters are called Nazis.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 2:13 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
KitLily wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

It is a sad situation.

I'm on disability benefits, my daughter is on disability benefits, and we still need to pay $500/month out of pocket for private insurance for the two of us, for things which aren't covered on the government plan: most importantly medication. My daughter's meds alone exceed $500 / month. We also get access to psychologists although it's never full coverage. They're not covered at all by the government. I go into debt every month to pay for this insurance but I have no alternative. It doesn't seem fair that disabled people aren't automatically covered for anything special.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 5:26 pm

I'd have thought that after the covid pandemic the government would actually see for themselves how much so many people rely on the NHS and how wonderful the NHS was to so many people through the scary time.

This is why I vote labour at every election.