Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 2:28 pm

Of all the sensations I find unpleasant, surely the most unbearable is having smoke in my air passages. I can't imagine how anyone can do this deliberately - it's like throwing sand in your eyes for fun, or filling your socks with thumbtacks! Is there really anyone who finds this pleasurable, and if so, how come?

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 3:16 pm

Icheb wrote:
Of all the sensations I find unpleasant, surely the most unbearable is having smoke in my air passages. I can't imagine how anyone can do this deliberately - it's like throwing sand in your eyes for fun, or filling your socks with thumbtacks! Is there really anyone who finds this pleasurable, and if so, how come?

im a smoker, and its not like i can gape over a bonfire and inhale the smoke from there, ill cough and choke like anybody else.

the puffs from a cigarette are very small, compared to what you would inhale by being shrouded inside some smoke

a good example is in fact the smoking booths in an airport in spain. im a smoker for years, but entering that room, which was litterally filled with cig-smoke was overwhelmingly uncomfortable, it stung my eyes, and it was very unpleasant to breathe.

its very common for smokers to suck up the smoke, and then finish the inhalation w air, so its not as concentrated as it looks

Masuna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2009, 7:25 pm

I started smoking when i was 14. My girlfriend at the time wanted something "in common". So she convinced me to smoke. I admit i was stupid (the things we do for love) and now been smoking half my life. The only explanation i can think of for you is, Have you ever drank alcohol? Well your first time getting drunk did you throw up? did you regret it? If you continued to drink you wouldn't feel as bad as that first time. You'd get used to it. Smoking is like that, at first its the most disgusting thing ever, but then you get used to it. Besides its very comforting and relaxing. And now that ex of mine has quit! Whats worse is she thinks nothing of it. I see willingly giving up years of my life for her as something big, stupid but big! I'm just a dummy! haha! Anyways with addiction the only way to truly understand is to have an addiction. Maybe this is a question you best never understand.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 8:58 pm

Taking currently decaying vegetable matter, then pumping it into one's face, only for it to reach your core, followed by the temporary (and eventually permanent) interruption of the function your nervous system.

...So how can anyone enjoy a beer?

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:12 pm

My ex-wife smoked. I asked her to stop because it was unhealthy and that I was madly in love with her. She said that I didn’t appreciate how hard it was to quit. So I told her that I would start smoking with her and that we would quit together once I was hooked. We smoked the same amount for over a year. One day I asked her if she believed I was hooked. She said yes. In that case I said, let’s quit now. So I stopped smoking but she couldn’t stop. I have incredible will power with anything outside my body. Apparently I can start and stop smoking any time I want. In fact I lived on five ounces of wheat germ and less than a pint of milk a week for a month as a diet; but I can’t for the life of me get myself to stop biting my nails or concentrate on something I don’t enjoy.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

27 May 2009, 11:13 pm

The process is actually very simple.
1. Place cigarette ( or pipe, cigar or joint ) in mouth.
2. Strike match or flick lighter to create a small flame.
3. Apply small fire produced in step 2 to tobacco or other product being lit.
4. Inhale while flame is being applied to tobacco, pot etc.
5. Continue inhaling and exhaling smoke as needed.
See, it is really not hard to figure out. :D

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 9:52 am

Masuna wrote:
Besides its very comforting and relaxing.
Actually, it's not, it's an illusion. What's really happening, though, is that your body craves nicotine. If it doesn't get any, you become more and more restless. At some point you give up to the crave and light a cigarette and the "injection" of nicotine calms your body down. Non-smoking people are much more relaxed, than the smoker can ever be, all the time.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 1:55 pm

velodog wrote:
The process is actually very simple.
1. Place cigarette ( or pipe, cigar or joint ) in mouth.
2. Strike match or flick lighter to create a small flame.
3. Apply small fire produced in step 2 to tobacco or other product being lit.
4. Inhale while flame is being applied to tobacco, pot etc.
5. Continue inhaling and exhaling smoke as needed.
See, it is really not hard to figure out. :D

Believe me, I've tried it four times, but could never get used to it. It's not like drinking, which is a natural and pleasurable sensation. But I can see the argument about being addicted. It's like injecting heroin - most people don't like injections, but I guess you can do anything if you must.

desmonami
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2009, 1:58 pm

I see it as such a waste of money.

SweetEvilCindy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 May 2009, 1:59 pm

I have never smoked in my whole life, not even once.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 9:05 pm

Icheb wrote:
Believe me, I've tried it four times, but could never get used to it. It's not like drinking, which is a natural and pleasurable sensation. But I can see the argument about being addicted. It's like injecting heroin - most people don't like injections, but I guess you can do anything if you must.

Actually consuming alcoholic substances in our natural environment (deycaying fruit or vegetable matter found rotting somewhere) isn't very natural, as we wouldn't normally eat or drink them, and questionably pleasurable. It is as this for normal breathing, to which smoking is appended.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 9:11 pm

Asmodeus wrote:

Actually consuming alcoholic substances in our natural environment (deycaying fruit or vegetable matter found rotting somewhere) isn't very natural, as we wouldn't normally eat or drink them

Why not? Animals do it commonly in natural environments, and I believe that most animals (and for sure highly intelligent ones such as spider monkeys) are aware of what's what in their food supply.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 9:11 pm

Icheb wrote:

Some tobacco smoke has a pleasant taste. That is why pipes are popular. One need not inhale to enjoy the odor and taste of tobacco. Some cigars are also tasty (the smoke I mean, not the cigar itself).

ruveyn

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 3:25 pm

amazon_television wrote:
Asmodeus wrote:

Actually consuming alcoholic substances in our natural environment (deycaying fruit or vegetable matter found rotting somewhere) isn't very natural, as we wouldn't normally eat or drink them

Why not? Animals do it commonly in natural environments, and I believe that most animals (and for sure highly intelligent ones such as spider monkeys) are aware of what's what in their food supply.

Because the normal result of eating rotting things in the wild is the death of those involved.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 5:07 pm

???

In pretty much every natural environment there is a specific niche for eating rotting material. Some animals can handle that kind of thing, others can't, and like I said, they all know the difference.

The only way a spider monkey is going to die from eating rotting fermented fruit is if it gets hammered and plummets 200 feet to its death out of a gigantic rainforest tree. And they are aware enough of what they're getting into that when they pass out drunk in the treetops they make sure to wrap their prehensile tails around a branch beforehand so they don't fall.

29 May 2009, 5:32 pm

Peer pressure, curiosity and then they get addicted to the nicotine and they need to have the willpower to stop. I heard smokers can't smell their own smoke in their home or on them. Smoking is stupid. I admit I have been stupid too for trying it and I hated it so I didn't get addicted. I couldn't take the smell and it made me cough.