Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 7:35 pm

Ive noticed here many similaritlys between this community and the international high I.Q. community. :)
Most there are misfits ,as they will readily acknowledge this in a most verbose way.
It seems they favor function over forms ,and think out of the box quite well, and some(albeit many) chide the normals as someone that is irritating and shallow ,and limit this association.

Reading the many post there, I'd be willing to wager that there are more than a few aspies there , as I glean this "vibe" from reading their cognitive experiences.

Frequently I will see their stock phrase *aggrandized elucidation* and wonder if some are just bipolar.
All and all they do have more than the average share of mental infirmities, but their cognitive mental style's are distinct/unique, and they think differently than the *nuerotypicals*, as they dont think emotionaly like the endocrine thinkers do.

One would have to wonder if their asynchrony with the world has some undiagnosed (unknown) pathology?

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 10:47 pm

it is my hope that some day neuro-diversity will be accepted without having to hide it behind pathology.

picture an 11 by 11 grid. use two colors to fill in certain boxes to make lines that can be thought of as lines of reasoning. one representing a "typical" line of reasoning and the other representing an atypical, like yours or mine. fill in boxes in the middle column straight from bottom to top, to represent your line of reasoning. start from the same square for "them" but instead of going straight up, go diagonally to the right (up one over one, up one over one) until you hit your arbitrary wall and then let it bounce back (like pong). now move each of their squares the necessary number of spaces to bring their line of reasoning into the straight line you see yours as. move the row, not the filled in squares. this moves your own squares into the exact mirror zigzag of theirs.

this mental exercise could be called "the neurotypical paradox" because it illustrates the paradox of perspectives in regards to the myth of "the neurotypical."

have you considered introducing the subject of the autistic spectrum to this other community?

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 11:46 pm

Mental abnormailities will continue to be seen as pathologies for as long as people have difficulties in their lives and need help for them.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 11:57 pm

Asmodeus wrote:
Mental abnormailities will continue to be seen as pathologies for as long as people have difficulties in their lives and need help for them.

That is exaclty my thought, as long as it interfers with autonomous functioning; its pathological .

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2009, 12:13 am

have you considered introducing the subject of the autistic spectrum to this other community?[/quote]

Actually i'm here because this was a topic there..... some know their on this spectrum , and come forward with it. Others are private about it, but I'll eat my hat if not many there are , as I noted in the above.

[quote="waltur"]it is my hope that some day neuro-diversity will be accepted without having to hide it behind pathology.

Agreed, at least to some extent, as we have no *universal template * to gage anything against..... {only the average sample}

M.D. :) >Sorry here WALTUR ,as I botched the qoute boxes.

Lady_Kenshin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2009, 11:15 am

There is no such thing as a truly normal/neurotypical person. If there was, they'd be really boring. Just my two cents.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 12:10 pm

Lady_Kenshin wrote:
There is no such thing as a truly normal/neurotypical person. If there was, they'd be really boring. Just my two cents.
I argue that it's statistically valid that a person can be normal and even that it's not unnormal to be absolutely normal. Given normality is the average of all people, you are automatically given an error margin and no exact limits.

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2009, 5:00 pm

Mdyar wrote:
Frequently I will see their stock phrase *aggrandized elucidation* and wonder if some are just bipolar.
All and all they do have more than the average share of mental infirmities, but their cognitive mental style's are distinct/unique, and they think differently than the *nuerotypicals*, as they dont think emotionaly like the endocrine thinkers do.

One would have to wonder if their asynchrony with the world has some undiagnosed (unknown) pathology?
It's probably just overinflated self-importance with a liberal dose of arrogance. They're at a high IQ forum for christsakes.

*aggrandized elucidation"
OH WOW, YOU SIR MUST BE PURDY SMART 2UNDERSTNAD THAT. I WUNDER WHAT THAT MEENS.

That said, I'm also willing to bet there's a lot of aspies there.

Sorry if I offended anyone, that's just what I'm picking up from all of this. I can't help but to feel like anybody that places importance on their own IQ as pretentious.