Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DanasSoliloquy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2009, 3:16 pm

Me:

Emetophobia- Fear of vomiting
Astraphobia- Fear of thunder and lightning
Somniphobia- Fear of sleeping (not so much sleeping, but i get worried i will have nightmares, and then force myself to stay awake)
Mysophobia- Fear of contamination from germs and pathogens
&& Nosophobia- Fear of becoming ill

Neophobia- Fear of new things and situations
Sociaphobia- Fear of people and society

If you have a fear or phobia(s), post it here :)
Also, check this out, I think this is one of the oddest yet:

Aulophobia- Fear of flutes...

You can find an extended list of many phobias here:
http://www.phobialist.com/

I look forward to seeing some of your posts :)

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 3:36 pm

When i was younger i had an irrational fear of hair-dressers and even now having my hair-cut is the worst experience i can imagine.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 3:58 pm

I have a fear of bleach and disinfectants, what would that be called?

SpongeBobRocksMao!

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 4:18 pm

Neophobia- Fear of new things and situations
Sociaphobia- Fear of people and society
Scopophobia or Scoptophobia- Fear of being seen or stared at.
Infinity- Apeirophobia
Mirrors or seeing oneself in a mirror- Eisoptrophobia

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 4:19 pm

I am a bad case of emetophobia. If I see anyone throwing up I panick like crazy and shake and close my eyes and stuff. And I hardly get ill, I have't been sick since I was 9 which is good, but I always get myself in a panick thinking of hen I will so I get extremely paranoid at barbeques incase the meat isn't cooked right and I'll get food poisening and I'm wary of new restaurants/take aways incase I get food piseneing and end up sick.

I also have a fear of moths and daddy long legs.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 4:27 pm

Oh yes, and i have a phobia of ladybirds/ladybugs/ladybeetles, whatever people would like to call them. I usually squish them on sight, and if i can't reach them i move to where i can't see them (and they can't sneak up in me).

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 5:04 pm

I have a terrible fear of wasps. I can't stand them, their noise is as relaxing as being tied to a post and having firecrackers thrown at you.
I'm not afraid of needles, but I always faint when I get them. I have no fear of blood or gore, I'd happily eat a bar of chocolate while dissecting a heart :lol:

I also have a rational fear of acids, I was never burned but the idea of getting third degree burns from something so easy to spill is horrible. It's unfair, like bullet ants: something so easy to get on you can cause so much pain :lol:

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 5:16 pm

When I was a kid, I was so scared of vomiting that when it happened I'd run through the house to get away from it, with the result that every room would be sprayed with puke. As you can imagine, my parents were not amused.

Thunder and lightning don't bother me, if I'm outside. If I'm inside when a thunder storm starts, I won't feel safe until I'm out of the house.

Sometimes I get panicky about germs, but it's not constant. When it's bad I'll wash myself till my hands bleed, but for the most part I'm on top of that phobia now.

I'm extremely scared of crowded spaces, enclosed spaces. Although I've managed to travel on the underground in London, it's only been in such emergencies that I had no other option, and I was still sweating and shaking with fear several hours later... According to my son who has been with me on a few of these trips I just stand there with my eyes closed moaning.

I'm definitely scared of meeting new people, though it rarely show.

Arachnophobia... definitely, though I know it's a silly thing.

I absolutely HATE having anyone come up behind me. I always want to have my back to a wall if possible. I can't eat in a restaurant if I don't have my back to a wall, I can't read in a libary unless I'm near a wall.

I hate talking on the telephone.

There's probably more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Oh... fear of Christmas. Not so much the day, but just all the jazz around it. Connected to which, fear of supermarkets and sales. I keep expecting someone to kill someone in the materialistic frenzy.

Sometimes I'm too scared to go into Tescos, or Asda... there's just too much stuff there, and too much to choose from.

legionsdad
Raven
Raven

24 May 2009, 7:10 pm

I don't like my fingers held together. My wife wakes me from a dead sleep like that. I hate it.

Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 12:22 pm

terrible, terrible case of whatever it's called when you can't try new foods.

i'm also slightly astraphobic, i know absolutely nothing will happen to me during a thunderstorm my body just doesn't seem to like them.

Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 1:15 pm

cockroaches. I will develop an insane case of insomnia just to keep an eye on those bastards and kill them with bug spray the minute they scurry from their hiding place.

Wasps/bees can go die too.

And I see to have a slight case of agoraphobia if I'm going somewhere I'm not used to go to by myself.
Or if I'm going somewhere without a clear function/mission (e.g. pick up apples, do groceries, get toothpaste etc.).

willa
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 9:59 pm

I've never looked up the name for this, probably is one, but kinda avoid it to keep from labeling it.

I'm terrified of not being able to move. Of being tied up, or held down.

I think its kinda related to claustrophobia. I've been in the backseat of a car and squished against the seat and cant move my feet or legs and have had borderline panic attacks and have forced the person driving to pull over so i can get out. The idea of a small space does not scare me, but being in a position where I dont have full range of movement of my limbs is incredibly scary.

can probably list a 100 things i'm afraid of spend lots of time avoiding, but thats the only one that I think is a true phobia, has in multiple times given me panic attacks.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 10:54 pm

Spheksophobia. it's a fear of wasps. I got stung twice o both arms and once on my rear when I was five. How was I supposed to know I had a plumber's crack when I got stung?

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 11:52 pm

I have social phobia, and I hate spiders. I can't think of any more, off the top of my head. :chin:

Those who know, don't speak.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 11:56 pm

Oooh, Emetophobia, me too, bleh. D:
Well it's usually because I have the flu or something though, which makes it a lot more terrible. If it's just a one-off thing from food poisoning or getting drunk, I can handle it.

Otherwise, uuuhm..

Tocophobia- Fear of pregnancy

But I love lightening storms, and I love all kinds of bugs. Spiders are a little freaky but not too bad.

I used to have bad nightmares, but when I think about something before I go to sleep, I won't ever dream about it, so now I just list all the things I don't want to dream about right before bed and I have never had nightmares since I started doing this. (Unless I forget to list something for too long. Usually it's something to do with a gross dead fetus.)

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 2:18 am

Hey WigglySpider. Could the fear of pregnancy and the "long dead fetus" be connected? If you lost a baby at some stage, that could cause the fear. Or if your mother had a miscarriage, or a particularly difficult pregnancy with you.