Asperger Kindergartner in child care center?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Where are HFA kindergartners better served?
Poll ended at 16 Jul 2009, 3:53 pm
Child care center kindergarten 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Public school kindergarten 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1

Healher
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2009, 3:53 pm

Hi,
I have been studying Asperger's in preparation of a kindergartner coming into my private kindergarten class next month. I have great reservations because of his past issues with his old child care teacher. When he had meltdowns he kicked her, (she showed me the bruises) broken her jewelry and run away from the classroom and out of the school. She had other teachers in the room who could carry on with teaching the rest of the class while she ran after him and/or stayed with him until his dad came to pick him up for the rest of the day. I am the only teacher in my room and wonder if this placement is a good idea. Are public schools better equipped for handling those times when meltdowns occur? He has ABA treatment 45 minutes a week with two teachers to him alone. How can I possibly give him and the other students the education they all deserve? My directors believe that I have a quiet manner, social skills success in the past with kindergartners and the advantage of a small class, but the more I study Asperger's the less I think I am able to understand and help a young boy trying to find his way when he can't figure out how to process sights, sounds, feelings, and sensations that I, as an NT, take for granted? Who am I to think that I can teach him without any special degree or training? Any insight you have will be greatly appreciated. I feel like I will let him and the class down if I am unable to have a successful year.

Healher
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2009, 3:56 pm

BTW, the ABA training he received in a specialized school is not affiliated with anyone in my child care center. We are not trained ABA teachers.

puzzle62
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2009, 5:20 pm

Here's my advice. My son only respected the friends of mine that talked about his interests with him each time they saw him. They treated him like an adult not a child. He was big on respect (for himself), he had no respect for Dr.s or teachers that did not respect him. Showing an interest in his interests always helped tremendously.Good luck and thanks for caring enough to research that, you already have a headstart.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 5:39 pm

Those aspie schooldays topic

I was an aspie kindergartner, long before anyone knew.

There were 50 children in that morning K class. I did not stick out.

I have found in my wanderings that if someone is singled out more than the others it is detrimental for all concerned. Of course, things have changed--class sizes have decreased, and there is zero tolerance for many behaviours, as of course there should be. My point is that if you are looking, you will look until it is found, and this may not always be wise.

But I am no expert. This is my opinion. May the universe unfold as it may. :)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo