Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 7:30 am

The sky this morning is blood red(obviously due to the atomospheric conditions, the only other time this has happened was when the clouds were just so) and it must be a sign! And the meaning is! Traffic is fabulous today.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 8:02 am

You've only seen a red sky in the morning once before? Haven't you ever heard the limerick regarding red skies? "Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in morning, shepherd's warning." You're probably due in for crappy weather.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 8:52 am

There aren't many shepherds in Michigan. Does that nullify the saying?

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2006, 10:41 am

danlo wrote:
You've only seen a red sky in the morning once before? Haven't you ever heard the limerick regarding red skies? "Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in morning, shepherd's warning." You're probably due in for crappy weather.

Red sky at night, shepherd's cottage alight.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 1:47 pm

CuriousPrimate wrote:
Red sky at night, shepherd's cottage alight.

You beat me to it!

"Come home to a living fire: buy a cottage in Wales."

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 1:56 pm

The real sign will be a green sky. Red ones are far too common.

"Red sky in the morning - are you under an awning?"
"Green sky at night; aliens take flight."

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 11:07 am

"Red sky at night, shepherd's cottage alight." ?
That's not how the saying goes. Methinks you should check again. As regards to that little bit of weather folklore, here's a bit of info for you:

http://www.scoutingresources.org.uk/weather_lore.html wrote:
Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning; red sky at night, shepherd's delight:
Near sunset and sunrise rays from the low sun travel a much longer distance through the atmosphere encountering many more dust particles. These scatter the longer wavelength red end of the light spectrum (when the sun is high in the sky, that is why the sky appears a blue colour). A red sky at night suggests a clear sky for hundreds of miles beyond the western horizon, and no imminent frontal systems bringing rain. Red sky in the morning tells us little about what is approaching from the west, but only that eastern skies are largely clear. However when this corresponds to the zone of fine weather which often exists between two depressions, then it suggests that it is moving away eastwards with more bad weather not far away to the west.

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2006, 11:42 am

danlo wrote:
That's not how the saying goes. Methinks you should check again. As regards to that little bit of weather folklore, here's a bit of info for you:

Yeah, yeah. It was given in response to the correct quote as an attempt at humour. (Oh look, that quote was in danlo's earlier post.)

Well at least Emettman and Drizzleman got it...

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 8:47 pm

Sometimes the moon is real big and orange.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 6:36 am

I still don't get it, Primate. What was in my first post?

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2006, 10:01 am

The standard saying, which danlo gave in his first quote, ...

danlo wrote:

and then felt was important enough to give again, implying I either hadn't seen the first one or I was too stupid, or something ...

danlo wrote:

it felt like you were trying to teach an old curmudgeon 'how to suck eggs'. So I had a genteel hissy fit and responded.

The shepherd's cottage alight is part of an amusing (to some) alternative version. It was popular during a period of Welsh nationalistic terrorism ( :wink: ) when English owned weekend cottages in Wales were being burnt down, something to do with the rising price of property being beyond the reach of locals, etc...

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 1:29 pm

CuriousPrimate wrote:
...during a period of Welsh nationalistic terrorism

...pursued as resistance to economic imperialism.

(For cultural imperialism, see "Coca-Colonisation" )

My best ever Red Sky At Night was flying into San Francisco some fifteen years ago, but I reckon that only boded fine particulate atmospheric pollution.