Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 3:28 pm

Microsoft Works Word Processor. :wink:

sqoouf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2009, 1:49 pm

I like GNU Nano because the keyboard shortcuts are at the bottom, because I usually forget them.
I am scared of vi, and I've never quite worked out how to get console-only emacs. :(

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2009, 7:38 am

EditPad (freeware).

INTJ.

Rorgg
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2009, 7:56 am

I'm a vi guy

For like... writing-writing, I use OpenOffice.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 8:58 am

Either Notepad or Wordpad. I *hate* MS Word, and don't even have it on my computer anymore (I do have the Word viewer, because otherwise I can't read some docs people send to me).

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 11:50 am

I'm using Word for professional things (because it's what everyone in the business world says they're using), Wordpad for short stories (in WTF...er RTF, yeah, that's it..;) format, Open Office in Ubuntu, and verrrry occasionally Vim (which is definitely not one of my favorites, I keep missing the escape key...;)

But has anyone noticed that some of the keyboard letter commands for Vim have similar functions in Word? Or am I bloviating again?...;)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 2:22 pm

Emacs

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2009, 2:49 pm

I use a program called EditPad Pro. It's not free, and there are probably good free alternatives, but it's very good. It looks quite simplistic, reminiscent of Notepad, but very powerful options are hidden in the menus. The best thing about it is its search and replace option, which allows you to use regular expressions in it. You can probably do that in other text editors too that are free, but now that I've bought it EditPad serves me very well.

I like emacs too, but since I have Windows, all the keyboard shortcuts don't really feel intuitive and it doesn't look like other Windows programs. If I ever changed my operating system I'd probably use emacs.

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2009, 6:32 pm

Emacs in graphical interface, but Jed in Emacs emulation for command line (I just never liked Emacs in the actual command line).

togda
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2009, 1:54 am

If I am writing HTML for a website, which I don't do too often, I use Notepad (or if I am using Ubuntu, the text editor that comes with it.)

When I write notes to myself or make drafts of posts/blogs I plan to write in the future, I generally use WordPad. I like the basic level of formatting that includes boldface and italicization.

I use other programs like Microsoft Word or OpenOffice only when I am writing more formal documents such as papers for school or resumes, which would require additional formatting. But these programs take longer to start up, and if I'm making a note to myself, I don't need the extra bells and whistles.

I also don't like the 2007 version of MS Word, there were a lot of unnecessary changes.

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2009, 5:31 pm

Emacs for munging.

I have a manual typewriter and carbon paper for post-apocalyptic posts.

I live in San Francisco, so that's next Tuesday. Earthquakes.

-The Madness of King George

silverpelican
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Aug 2009, 6:52 pm

I bought a manual typewriter, Brother, from Amazon to do envelopes which I have problems doing on the printer. But then, well, one gets spoiled by all the xtras on Word, etc. So, since I am on Mac, I write in "Pages", part of the iWork offering. Before, I used AppleWorks but it doesn't run, I think, on Leopard.

But I just use the blank page, not the templates, and figured out a way to get the printer to do the envelopes (Easy Envelopes by Ambroisia-free). So the type writer is in the closet.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Aug 2009, 10:28 pm

notepad ++, I'm in the process of learning perl.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 12:24 pm

DavidK wrote:
Programmer's Notepad on Windows.
Joe on Linux/UNIX.

Another fan of joe :heart:

I have installed it under the Windows of my parents as well and that is the only W*nd*ws I use.

If formatting is required, I use LaTeX or just ASCII-ish formatting since it is _so_ easy :)

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!