Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 9:43 pm

Hey all you WP bikers!

Nice to see this community has its share of motorcycle enthusiasts. Some of you ride bikes of various makes and various styles. From the posts I've seen here about motorcycles at least one of you also owns a Harley-Davidson.

Call it curiosity, call it wanting to try something I haven't tried before, call it a cycle-nut friend who's been egging me on to take up riding motor bikes, call it having had a dream about roaring up a Northern Ontario highway on a big black sinister-looking something with a motor and two wheels, call it whatever... my curiosity is peaked.

This is something I have thought about on and off over the years. I'm in a research phase over it now but next spring I will take the first MSF course I can.

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 10:03 pm

Lots of good advice here. I began riding at 15, and I still have a license, but no bike. I had to sell it to pay a debt a few years ago.

Definitely look into a quality training course -- some motorcycle or riding clubs sponsor them -- and always, always, always wear protective clothing. Road rash and cracked skulls hurt!

Stay away from "crotch rockets". Speed kills. If you are going to ride on the road, get a bike upon which you can comfortably sit upright with both feet flat on the ground ... and if you happen to find an old flat-head 45-incher somewhere, send it to me and I will help *you* get the bike of *your* dreams!