Are there certain words you just cant stand?

Page 4 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 6:28 pm

I hate it when people say "cannot overemphasize more". Why not just say "it is very important"? There is no need to emphasize something that is already overemphasized more. This phrase always freezes my brain when someone says it.

I also hate when people say "adult" or "child" in situations when they imply that you need to grow up and be responsible for yourself at a certain age. Lumping people into age groups is the EXACT same thing as labelling people as queers, rednecks, geeks, white, black, etc. It's not necessary... we all mature at different ages. Piaget's last stage of development, the concrete operations stage, is not even reached by some people throughout their lifetime.

Also, when people ask me "How do you feel about this?", I always find myself at a loss of words. As in, not uttering a single word until given further prompts.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 8:33 pm

yes which is why I wont pot them

Irishlass99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2009, 8:51 pm

Phrases that bug me:

1) First Annual: If it's the first time you have an event, it CANNOT be annual!

2) It goes without saying: apparently it doesn't.

Kevin_I
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2009, 10:22 pm

The word I hate the most is "teamwork."

I have a boss at work and all he does is walk around saying "teamwork", "teamwork". He apparently knows a few other words. Sometimes he walks around and says "Teamwork people, teamwork, people." One day he learned two new words, and they were "come" and "on". Now he can say "Come on, people, teamwork, teamwork."

"Come on, people, teamwork, teamwork." As far as I've observed, those four words are the extent of his vocabulary.

Chaia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2009, 10:37 pm

Empower, which usually means get somebody to do what I think they should. Educate, when used in the same way.

Teamwork

Carnivore as applied to humans who, if they aren't vegan like me, are usually omnivores.

I also get irrationally irritated by 'less' when 'few' is meant.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 11:03 pm

Chaia wrote:
I also get irrationally irritated by 'less' when 'few' is meant.

In the same way, 'more'

more doctors recommend....

More than what? more than zero?

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 11:25 pm

MathGirl wrote:
I hate it when people say "cannot overemphasize more". Why not just say "it is very important"? There is no need to emphasize something that is already overemphasized more. This phrase always freezes my brain when someone says it.

I also hate when people say "adult" or "child" in situations when they imply that you need to grow up and be responsible for yourself at a certain age. Lumping people into age groups is the EXACT same thing as labelling people as queers, rednecks, geeks, white, black, etc. It's not necessary... we all mature at different ages. Piaget's last stage of development, the concrete operations stage, is not even reached by some people throughout their lifetime.

Also, when people ask me "How do you feel about this?", I always find myself at a loss of words. As in, not uttering a single word until given further prompts.

because usually "this is very important" sadly means little to most people. Well...it means a lot to the person who says it, but it falls on deaf ears beyond that....

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:42 am

No offense to any native English speakers here. :D
But it bugs me when Danish people use English words and phrases (because they think it sounds more fancy?) when there are exactly as good words and phrases available in Danish.
As in, when they eat "leftovers" instead of "rester" for dinner, or talk to another one "face to face" instead of "ansigt til ansigt".

It also bugs me a bit when people talk about communication on the internet as opposite to "real life" communication. I mean: I know you can't see each other, but it is certainly a real person and not a machine you are communicating with on the net. (Those who don't acknowledge it may become so-called trolls. :roll: )
I also mean: you would never say that an old fashioned communication by paper mail, or even a conversation on the phone, was not "real"?
Isn't it all because it's still a kind of new thing?
(Like when people complain about the net "stealing time from being with people" when they themselves use just as much time watching TV? Should that be more "real"? You don't even communicate watching TV! :roll: And should it steal less time? It's just because you've got used to it over decades, while it's not (yet) the case with the internet! :? )

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 3:53 pm

AnnePande wrote:
But it bugs me when Danish people use English words and phrases (because they think it sounds more fancy?) when there are exactly as good words and phrases available in Danish.
As in, when they eat "leftovers" instead of "rester" for dinner, or talk to another one "face to face" instead of "ansigt til ansigt".

It also bugs me a bit when people talk about communication on the internet as opposite to "real life" communication. I mean: I know you can't see each other, but it is certainly a real person and not a machine you are communicating with on the net. (Those who don't acknowledge it may become so-called trolls. :roll: )
I also mean: you would never say that an old fashioned communication by paper mail, or even a conversation on the phone, was not "real"?
(Like when people complain about the net "stealing time from being with people" when they themselves use just as much time watching TV? Should that be more "real"? You don't even communicate watching TV! :roll: And should it steal less time? It's just because you've got used to it over decades, while it's not (yet) the case with the internet! :? )

reminds me of one of my "favorites":

"the person you talk to online could be lying to you, whereas you know what you're getting in person"

Really? Sorry...I usually notice little difference.

People lie to my face to me all the time offline, and as another example, it was widely mentioned back in the day that operators of certain Adult phone lines were actually male instead of female.

I think it's just a really poor excuse to keep everything verbal and "real"....but to do that, humans would actually have to be honest the majority of the time; that doesn't happen.

doctorman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2009, 5:26 pm

Little guy and little man for reason I wiah not to discuss,

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 11:53 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
AnnePande wrote:

reminds me of one of my "favorites":

"the person you talk to online could be lying to you, whereas you know what you're getting in person"

Really? Sorry...I usually notice little difference.

People lie to my face to me all the time offline, and as another example, it was widely mentioned back in the day that operators of certain Adult phone lines were actually male instead of female.

I think it's just a really poor excuse to keep everything verbal and "real"....but to do that, humans would actually have to be honest the majority of the time; that doesn't happen.

Yeah, that's funny. But maybe they mean, I"R"(!)L you at least won't take a man for a woman, or a creepy 60-year old man for a 20-year old handsome boy. :lol:

Another funny thing:
Often it is said that people easily misunderstand each other on the net, because they can't hear each other's intonation or see each other's facial expressions / body language.
But were / are there just as many misunderstandings in the communication by paper mail? No, people never complain(ed) about that. So why is it suddenly a problem?
Maybe you tend to write like you talk on the net, and it wasn't / isn't necessarily so in the paper mails?
Besides, on the net you can use a smiley, those were not invented in the good old paper-mail-only-days.

:D :) :( :o 8O :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :wink: :idea: :?: :heart: :nerdy: :afro: :cyclopsani: :sunny: :cheers: :smurf: :pig: :smurfin: :colors: :study: :albino: :alien: :jester:

Sorry, couldn't resist.....

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 1:31 am

not entirely true good sir...it's not really that difficult to draw two dots for eyes, and a curved line for a smile, with a circle around them on paper, but regardless, I totally agree with you.

And then they bring in the "but in such a level of bandwidth...that's the thing" excuse.

Either it's a hypocritical way of putting down technology, or it's just being hypocritical.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 1:30 pm

I HATE the word 'tummy'.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 6:23 pm

I don't like the word "supper"

I don' know...it just sounds like someone with a low-IQ talking about dinner; I love the word "dinner".

Has a certain sophistication to it.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 6:50 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
I HATE the word 'tummy'.

Yeah, that one irritates me a bit.

Also, when people use the word "stomach" when they mean "abdomen".

As in: "I shaved 6 inches off my stomach by following the Jenny Craig diet." :eew:

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 10:56 pm

I hate the phrase 'proof positive' because it suggests the unused and slightly illogical phrase proof negative.