What things do you lack knowledge in...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 9:00 pm

but most people have more knowledge than you in?

For me, it is most things that are non-academic (now you know how nerdy I am) but I particularly lack knowledge of music people listen to and video games. I don't know why, somehow somewhere along the way, I lagged behind in knowledge of those things and now I can't seem to know where to start. And it is impeding my conversation with other people. Another thing I lack knowledge in is famous actors in movies, but for that I always think "who cares? Its following the plot thats important."

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2010, 9:23 pm

I don't know anything about sports, or politics, or cars, or who the current famous actors and musicians are. I've never had any interest in them, and it doesn't look like I'll be getting any, anytime soon. Oh, and going by the OP's choices, I don't know anything about video games, either. The only one I've ever played was Pong, when it was new. My reaction to it was "meh."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 11:46 pm

Hair, clothes, guys, make-up and sex.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 11:58 pm

jc6chan wrote:
but most people have more knowledge than you in?

For me, it is most things that are non-academic (now you know how nerdy I am) but I particularly lack knowledge of music people listen to and video games. I don't know why, somehow somewhere along the way, I lagged behind in knowledge of those things and now I can't seem to know where to start. And it is impeding my conversation with other people. Another thing I lack knowledge in is famous actors in movies, but for that I always think "who cares? Its following the plot thats important."

Mine are the opposite.

I have trouble with practical matters such as grammar, math, and other areas that would probably benefit me in the way I communicate. I think most of this is due to pragmatic language impairment which is associated with autism and aspergers. What's odd is I feel like I don't fit in with the stereotypical aspie who's highly educated and academically inclined.

Music, drawing, painting, and history seem to be my strongest points.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 12:05 am

RhettOracle wrote:
I don't know anything about sports, or politics, or cars, or who the current famous actors and musicians are. I've never had any interest in them, and it doesn't look like I'll be getting any, anytime soon. Oh, and going by the OP's choices, I don't know anything about video games, either. The only one I've ever played was Pong, when it was new. My reaction to it was "meh."

Yeah, me too.

I think my general knowledge of history, geography, science and literature are far better than average.

But when I stand in the supermarket and see magazine covers saying 'Sam is breaking up with Judy" I think WTF are Sam and Judy?"

Probably millions of people know who Sam and Judy are but I am not one of them.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 2:52 am

Fashion's a big one for me. Currently all my wardrobe consists of is oversized t-shirts and sweatpants for casual wear, and blouses and jeans for church. Like CockneyRebel, I also lack experience in regards to having relationships with men (I've never had a boyfriend before).

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 9:39 am

Wombat wrote:
But when I stand in the supermarket and see magazine covers saying 'Sam is breaking up with Judy" I think WTF are Sam and Judy?"

Probably millions of people know who Sam and Judy are but I am not one of them.

Exactly, I feel that way too. It gets annoying when people talk about these things in conversations since I now can't even possibly think of anything to say.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 4:38 pm

Sanskrit. I cannot translate Sanskrit.

ruveyn

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

20 Jan 2010, 5:41 pm

I lack knowledge in a variety of things...current events, famous people, fashionable clothing, how to make friends and maths.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 6:10 pm

MATH :? ,what I mean when I say I am bad at math is that I cant do it at all :oops: seems most people can at least multiply and divide, but for me it ties my brain in a knot. I am trying to turn that around though by reading "Mathmatics for dyslexics and dyscalculia"
My secound would be grammer and spelling (if you havent noticed)
Luckily reading is a strong point for me, I read at least a book per week (sometimes I speed read and other times I take my time), but for some reason my brain never remembers spelling :wall:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 6:10 am

The ways of the world.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 6:41 am

roadracer wrote:
MATH :? ,what I mean when I say I am bad at math is that I cant do it at all :oops: seems most people can at least multiply and divide, but for me it ties my brain in a knot. I am trying to turn that around though by reading "Mathmatics for dyslexics and dyscalculia"
My secound would be grammer and spelling (if you havent noticed)
Luckily reading is a strong point for me, I read at least a book per week (sometimes I speed read and other times I take my time), but for some reason my brain never remembers spelling :wall:

Me too! Thank goodness for calculators or it would take me a week to balance my checkbook. I carry a calculator in my purse so that when I'm buying multiple things I can keep track of how much money it will be. There are people out there who can add 12.69$ +6.40$ + 1.99 (X3) =? in their head and know how much money will be expected at the register. But I'm not one of them.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 10:28 am

Sexual politics, mostly. I know the basic ins and outs of the whole deal (so to speak...), but something just doesn't seem to click.

Celebrity gossip puzzles me, too. If Janet is leaving John because John had an affair with Janine, the first thing that comes into my head is "so what? It's not like the world's going to end." I just don't understand the interest some people have in the lives of people they'll never, ever meet.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 4:31 pm

Languages, current television programs.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

21 Jan 2010, 4:37 pm

Celebrity culture, most TV and most movies. Fashion, hair and beauty. Sport. Computer games (apart from fairly basic things like Super Nisqually :lol:). And while I'm much better financially than I used to be, a lot of people seem to know more about the ins and outs of money (investment, savings and what have you) than I do.

Sexual politics...well, let's say being married makes me very glad I don't have to go out there and do the whole dating thing, because these days I wouldn't know where to start.

Oh yes, and...kids and what to do with them. Hardly surprising really.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 5:36 pm

Definitely sports, as I am not interested in most of them, especially football (soccer). Also some parts of science and maths, there are some parts of them that I just find too hard to learn.

SpongeBobRocksMao!