Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 11:55 pm

Instead of reporting every shooting, bullying incident, celebrity mess-up, Internet argument, and criminal case, people instead reported every act of kindness?

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 11:57 pm

:hail:

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 11:58 pm

the news would be something I would want to watch then - I don't anymore

all of the other stuff could be subscribed to in say a crime report or whatever specialty site you wanted, a niceness feed would be a welcome change

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 12:47 am

The 24hour news channels would go extinct.

News websites would be updated fortnightly.

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 2:11 am

It's because a lot of people pay more attention to more sensational stories, unfortunately, like school shootings, celebrity mishaps and the such, its not that people don't like good news stories, they just don't find them as interesting and will forget about it after a day or so.

Me personally would love to see more good stories of kindness out there, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 7:06 am

Pobbles wrote:
The 24hour news channels would go extinct.

News websites would be updated fortnightly.

and I thought I was cynical - here is someone who thinks there is no such thing as decent people in the world at all.

Do you realize MANY people do acts of kindness EVERYDAY? I do and most of my friends also, it is just something everyone ignores.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 7:08 am

I think that sometimes when social workers are getting bad press.

For all the good they do, we only ever hear reports when they have failed in their work.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 7:31 am

coffeebean wrote:
Instead of reporting every shooting, bullying incident, celebrity mess-up, Internet argument, and criminal case, people instead reported every act of kindness?

BOOORING! Must have dirt, pain, abuse and blood - that's entertainment!

(See? auties can be sarcastic :P)

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 7:36 am

EzraS wrote:
coffeebean wrote:

BOOORING! Must have dirt, pain, abuse and blood - that's entertainment!

(See? auties can be sarcastic :P)

thank you for pointing out what you were doing, - I actually have no problem BEING sarcastic either, my problem is in detecting it. I always just use #sarcasm

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 9:29 am

Fisplen wrote:
It's because a lot of people pay more attention to more sensational stories, unfortunately, like school shootings, celebrity mishaps and the such, its not that people don't like good news stories, they just don't find them as interesting and will forget about it after a day or so.

Me personally would love to see more good stories of kindness out there, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

We go into a cycle of:
1) People focus on and repost negative news stories.
2) People see other people and the world as a horrible, violent place through constant exposure.
3) People complain that there isn't enough good while deliberately focusing on the bad.

I'm not sure if it's masochistic or if people really get a thrill out of having a go at these things. Just thought it was curious that I've even seen a topic on WP from a poster who isn't Chinese of an incident in China that, at a glance, in no way affects or can be (is going to be, is a better choice) affected by Americans. It's like if we run out of sh***y things going on in our own country to complain about, we have to borrow from another to keep up the quota.

People complain about celebrity culture, but the Internet can't stop itself obsessing over every little thing Justin Bieber does. He gets the attention of his fans and everyone who doesn't like him.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 9:48 am

coffeebean wrote:
People complain about celebrity culture, but the Internet can't stop itself obsessing over every little thing Justin Bieber does. He gets the attention of his fans and everyone who doesn't like him.

I only talk about media stuff when people shove it in my face in a really ignorant fashion - in Biebers instance people trying to force an orientation on someone, or the time he was conflated with a lesbian.

the problem really is that major outlets cater to the lemmings

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 10:31 am

That would be great and people would complain less about how the news is all bad. In the same breathe, however people would be unaware of any potential problems that may exist.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 10:44 am

micfranklin wrote:
That would be great and people would complain less about how the news is all bad. In the same breathe, however people would be unaware of any potential problems that may exist.

and systemic depression over "the world is going to pot" is NOT a problem? I don't need 24 hours of negative to know there is crime in my city, nor massive reports on rapes/murders etc. Give classes on how to deal with life as people grow up and let people get informed in a BALANCED way The current stuff is actually designed to promote fear.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 9:39 am

I think the world would be a much better place because if there was less bad news, people wouldn't be so afraid and hearing more about good things in the world would inspire us to be nicer.

Sadly, the world doesn't work that way =( People like to be warned about danger, but I see it as more of a scare than anything. My parents are really overprotective of me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 10:31 am

That's an idea I can live with. :idea: 8)

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 2:19 pm

It took me fifty years to realize that I don't have to look at all the news reports that you refer to. I can chose what I see. I can choose my reality. I can create my own reality, and it starts by tuning out negativity and tuning in to LOVE. I know its hard to notice that from my posts sometimes, but OCD is part of my reality that I have not yet learned to tune completely out, but have greatly reduced the negative effects the OCD manifests upon my existence.