Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 1:29 pm

"No man is an island" Discuss

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 1:31 pm

In the interest of transparency I will say I DESPISED this as soon as I heard it more years back than I care to reveal. I said then, I said now, If I am no island, at LEAST a peninsula, or one of those things cut ofdf at high tide.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 1:36 pm

I can't stand that saying.

Christophe
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2010, 3:33 pm

I always hated this topic in school. I guess it goes back to the idea that though every man wants to be independent, and not have to rely on anyone, because someone may see it as conceding that he has lost his manhood. There are those times when that is appropriate, but man (yes when I say man I mean women included...it is meant as a generic term here people) needs to learn to rely on his fellows from time to time or we would be lost. A seemingly insurmountable task at times for Aspies, but hey, we all knew that, we just need to find our own ways around it!

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 6:38 pm

I would submit Simon and Garfunkel's "I am a Rock" to counter.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 1:00 am

what is obvious is that we are all in this thing together, whether we like it or not. earth [the world we live in] is a closed-loop system- what happens on earth stays on earth. when we put out bad stuff, it has no choice but to go 'round and 'round until it eventually comes back to the sender. our world is becoming full of bad stuff.

humanity has been given a chance to love one another, and the lion's share of us are just saying "nah, that's not for me". one can say " i am SO an island!" or "i am a rock, i am an island"- one might as well say "i am NOT my brother's keeper" - [this seems to be a popular statement nowadays]. but that is just whistling past the graveyard. of course we are all born alone and die alone- but we have to GROW beyond the path of least resistance, or get stuck in a rut. one CAN learn to love in some manner, even if one doesn't receive love or never received love. the choice is between warm fuzzies or cold pricklies, and most of humanity has chosen to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution.