Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you believe in God?
Yes, a personal anthropomorphic God like in the Bible 21%  21%  [ 9 ]
Yes but more abastract or non-human like Xenophane's God. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I am a "Deist" who believes God created the universe and let the laws of physics to the rest . 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I am Agnostic 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
I am an Atheist 36%  36%  [ 15 ]
Other 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 42

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 7:37 pm

Who believes in God here? I have been an Atheist since I found it was the only rational explanation for natural disasters as just the work of a morally neutral and morally blind laws of nature and physics and left it at that. I was fip flopping around between deism and atheism for some years, because deism just posits a creator being that is like a kind of a button pushing god that created the universe initially then let the laws of physics do the rest. Then I began to think all this as an unnecessary complication in violation of Ochham's Razor, because is everything can be explained with natural law then I do not see any point into hanging on the such arcane beliefs.
Some people believe in a personal God like the one portrayed in the bible like the one of Michelago’s paintings. Others look on their interpretation as having not anthropomorphic form to it at all like the God of Xenophanes who summed it up as such:

Quote:
The Ethiops say that their gods are flat-nosed and black,
While the Thracians say that theirs have blue eyes and red hair.
Yet if cattle or horses or lions had hands and could draw,
And could sculpt like men, then the horses would draw their gods
Like horses, and cattle like cattle; and each they would shape
Bodies of gods in the likeness, each kind, of their own.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 7:51 pm

I believe in God. I've been a Catholic since I was 11 or 12.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 8:14 pm

I've heard countless arguments for the existence of a deity. I've even actively seeked them out. Never have I once heard or read one single argument for the existence of a deity that made even the slightest bit of sense. The more arguments I hear for the existence of a deity, the more convinced I get that there can't possibly be one. So both to the question of whether I believe in God and to the question of whether there is a God to believe in, I must say a definite no.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 8:50 pm

"Do you believe in God?"
YES!

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2010, 9:44 pm

I had to check "other." I'm agnostic in the sense that I neither affirm nor deny the existence of a god, gods, what have you. However, since it seems to me the burden of proof is on those who believe (i.e. assert the positive case), and I've not read or seen anything convincing, I suppose I could also be classified as a "weak" atheist. That's certainly how I go through life.

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 10:24 pm

I'm sort of flip-flopping between agnosticism and atheism, so I chose "other".

Bing
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2010, 11:03 pm

I'm Agnostic.

Seemingly most people with ASDs are Atheist/Agnostic.

http://www.hikiculture.prophpbb.com

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 5:40 am

I am surprised there are not so many Deists because in the early stages I was not so much flip flopping between atheism and agnosticism but Deism and Atheism. I had totally given away theism of the more Xenophanes’s kind as a teenager. I have never in my life believed in a personal anthropomorphic God of the type described in the bible because it was too much smacked of something like classical Greek paganism such as just another version of Zues. I felt that way because I was taught by Catholic nuns who represented a God as more abstract symbols such as a radiant triangle drawn at the head of the blackboard.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 8:01 am

I believe in God. I believe that there is someone up there, who loves me.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 8:55 am

No, I do not.

I don't see the point of such beings, imaginary or otherwise.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Feb 2010, 12:00 pm

Yes, I believe in God. I am a Christian.

To test my faith, I ask myself this question, "If I did not believe in God and accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior, would I be afraid to die?" Yes, I would be afraid.

Therefore, I have faith in the existence of God according to the Holy Bible. I have faith in the miracles of Jesus and of the Resurrection of Jesus. I accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior---not out of fear, but out of the love He has for me.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 12:20 pm

glider18 wrote:
To test my faith, I ask myself this question, "If I did not believe in God and accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior, would I be afraid to die?" Yes, I would be afraid.

So you admit to basing your beliefs not on fact but on comfort? If something is scary to think about, it can't be true, no matter what the evidence points toward? Does that mean there are no paedophiles? Does that mean the Haiti disaster never happened?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Feb 2010, 1:03 pm

Vince---We Christians have faith. Your point about being scared doesn't fit here. My point about being scared to die meant the possibility of hell---that is scary---therefore I acknowledge it is true based on my faith. Yes, there are paedophiles. The Haiti disaster happened. You misinterpreted me greatly.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 1:25 pm

I do believe in Jesus as my lord and savior, but I don't take the Bible literally, because there are more things unsaid than said.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:00 pm

glider18 wrote:
Vince---We Christians have faith. Your point about being scared doesn't fit here. My point about being scared to die meant the possibility of hell---that is scary---therefore I acknowledge it is true based on my faith. Yes, there are paedophiles. The Haiti disaster happened. You misinterpreted me greatly.

The possibility of Hell does not exist if you have faith, however, so what are you really scared of?
The possibility of Hell because your faith is misguided or the possibility that there is no Heaven, even if you remain faithfull?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Feb 2010, 2:28 pm

Lecks wrote:
glider18 wrote:

The possibility of Hell does not exist if you have faith, however, so what are you really scared of?
The possibility of Hell because your faith is misguided or the possibility that there is no Heaven, even if you remain faithfull?

There is misunderstanding here. The Christian faith acknowledges that Heaven and hell exist. For those who accept Jesus as their savior go to Heaven. And for those that do not accept Jesus as their savior go to hell. That is what the Bible teaches.