Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

If this was legal, would you consider it a good idea?
Yes 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
Yes 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 18 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 18 ]
Maybe 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Maybe 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 74

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 5:51 am

Ok, I saw on another the thread that another Wrongplaneteer (member of WP) whose name I have forgotten suggested that based on the current ratios of male to female diagnosed aspies, we allow the females to have 3-4 husbands. ((Whichever the current diagnostic estimate figure is.))

Any reasons or comments? Be sure to vote on the poll and leave a comment, okay?

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 6:08 am

I think polygamy should be legal regardless of the ratio of females to males or visa versa.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 6:53 am

I know the male/female ratio in society is not 1:1. There are slightly more females than males. However, in a polygamous society where 1 husband can have (for example) 10 wifes, would not that leave 9 permanetly single males??? How is this fair to them?

Having more than one wife is ultimately greedy. Furthermore... why is it always multiple wives? Why not have multiple husbands? (I know the answer but this is an attempt to stimulate debate)

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 7:14 am

lowfreq50 wrote:
I know the male/female ratio in society is not 1:1. There are slightly more females than males. However, in a polygamous society where 1 husband can have (for example) 10 wifes, would not that leave 9 permanetly single males??? How is this fair to them?

Having more than one wife is ultimately greedy. Furthermore... why is it always multiple wives? Why not have multiple husbands? (I know the answer but this is an attempt to stimulate debate)

Regarding your first paragraph, I must admit being stumped.

The second paragraph, however, seems to have missed the point. This thread is anout mutiple husbands hence the term 'unconventional polygamy'

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 7:21 am

I knew a woman with two husbands once. She said it was not like being married to two people, it was three people married to each other. "And if you think a marriage between two people is hard," she said, "you should just try three" It didn't last.

- Emerson

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 7:28 am

I don't really know any other Aspies in everyday life - well one or two people that exhibit some of the traits maybe, but nothing conclusive. In general I've found that most people can only cope with me for a limited period of time, plus I get guilty about being 'needy' and not giving anything back in exchange, so I have a little social support network of friends who take it in turns to be the catalyst for my angst!

In theory these relationships could become more than platonic, as my best friends are all female and Im really close to them. But I couldn't cope with seeing a girl who had other boyfriends - there's no security there - so why should I expect to be allowed multiple girlfriends?

Given the social interaction problems associated with Asperger's, (mood swings, communication difficulties, need for support but also space, short attention span etc..), it could be argued that we're more suited to polygamy. But although it's a nice theory I suspect that in reality it would create far more problems than it would solve. Life just isn't that simple. And if it does all go wrong, you'll be losing a whole group of loved ones in one go. Losing one is bad enough for most people, and they're 'normal'.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 9:34 am

Having spent some time in the polygamy capitial of the us, and currently living in the pediphile capital of my state, as well as a polygamy hub, alternative sex hub, and being strait maybe my views are definately skewed by the experiences of location. (breathe)

I don't care what others do to themselves-as far as it is not forceably directed my way. I do care how and why what others do to themselves affects the personal safety and promise of 'a good life' to their children.

I am fine with most types of marriages. Not personally, but for others. It's not my call to judge or place to much attention on them. However in all cases I believe a penalty need be imposed in the sake of punishment for divorce-as they do for bankrupcy. As divorce seems to be a revolving door--no body really thinking in advance.

I think polygamy as a common theme in the home or as an accepted attribute to society sucks, however, because of parents placing their sexual views on their kids, assuming that they too will be polygamist.
I had a manager appear to do this. Problem was, the child seemed really disturbed. enter assumption of a safe and good life.

As well as the general targeting of 'new recruits'. I've experienced this-none it is fair to note have respected my orientation as much as I have respected theirs.

The early sexualization of children: children are aware of what thier parents do. SOCIETY is more common to accept strait traditional couples, as well as now I think gay couples with children are not uncommon. I think alot of talking, being aware, and being ultimately supportive of children's views and vunerabilities would be in order.

Let gays be gays. Let byes be byes. Let Polys be Polys. Let Straits be Straits. All flock together and leave the children their own minds.

I'm positive I didn't stick to the issue.

Personally--one would be a pleasure; two would be a job.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2006, 10:28 am

I'm cookl with poly arrangements - for other people (it's not for me; I'm too much of a loner).

But legalized polygamy - even if the question was actually about polyandry (pednat alert here!) historically leads to just what freq50 (?) described: one powerful man hogging a lot of wives and several young men going without. Which in turn leads to a lot of cannon fodder available for the powerful men who plan the wars in green silk rooms (Bujold reference).

What is meant at the tie and what the actual consequences of something are usually are two different things.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 10:48 am

I'd go for this. Imagine a group of 5 aspies living together. I'm in a group of 2 aspies and it gets interesting. Moreover, I'm for polygamy anyway. I know it's unfair to those that can't get spouses(myself being among them), but freedom goes above that.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 11:53 am

More than one husband? 8O

You've got to be kidding...one was quite enough thank you. LOL

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 12:05 pm

That's funny. When I was married, occasionally the topic of fidelity would come up. I'd say, "I already have a wife, why would I want to further complicate my life with a girlfriend?"

Frank Barrone said, "Look, if you have a problem with your woman, you don't go out and find yourself another woman. Then you just got two problems!"

- Emerson

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 12:30 pm

sigholdaccountlost wrote:
Ok, I saw on another the thread that another Wrongplaneteer (member of WP) whose name I have forgotten suggested that based on the current ratios of male to female diagnosed aspies, we allow the females to have 3-4 husbands. ((Whichever the current diagnostic estimate figure is.))

This is an unqualified recipie for disaster. Even though we're talking about aspie males, we have enough testosterone to fight over mating rights with the other "husbands".

This would lead to nothing but bitter fighting. :evil:

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 12:36 pm

This is an unqualified recipie for disaster. Even though we're talking about aspie males, we have enough testosterone to fight over mating rights with the other "husbands".

BTW, Polygamy (The kind Mormons practice) is downright evil. As has been previously posted, a few (read: manipulative, overbearing, bullying a$$holes) end up dominating the community while those who fail to get a wife are kicked out of town. This starts a process of breeding ever-increasing agressive males. Don't we have enough of those already??

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 12:37 pm

BTW, Polygamy (The kind Mormons practice) is downright evil. As has been previously posted, a few (read: manipulative, overbearing, bullying a$$holes) end up dominating the community while those who fail to get a wife are kicked out of town. This starts a process of breeding ever-increasing agressive males. Don't we have enough of those already??

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 12:53 pm

I'm all for legalized polygami, and it should go both ways. I do think however it's more in the nature of men to have more than one sexual partner, and thus have more than one wife.

As for WP-women having 4-5 husbands - not a good idea. A lot of us are asexual and I don't think 4 husbands that don't get any is a happy combination.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 12:53 pm

People keep posting about polygamy in the traditional sense.

This title is the uncovential form, i.e. wives having more than one husband.

Please let's discuss that.